Tell me I'm being silly (and save me a few quid)

So, even with very limited experience on my Nanohawk, I’m contemplating getting another FPV. I mean, I’m not even sure I’m cut out for FPV yet, but I seem to be transferring my GAS* from guitar stuff to drones.

Anyway, this sort of thing has caught my eye and the upcoming meet seems like the perfect opportunity to experiment. But there are issues, some more obvious than others.

I don’t expect for a minute that anything ordered from Banggood will arrive within a fortnight, so is there any chance I could cobble together the parts from a UK supplier? BG seem to have been good enough to give a parts list. (Yes, I will see if I can do this for myself.)

I’m sure some kind soul is going to offer me a go on their FPV at the meet, but I’ve probably scuppered that by choosing Mode 3 as my preferred control layout. A bit like being a left-handed guitarist (which I’m not).

Fortunately my enthusiasm in these matters is usually tempered by availability, so perhaps I should just wait until I’ve put some more hours in with my starter.

Cheers. :slightly_smiling_face:
*GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome

1 Like

I have the same syndrome I reckon.

I’ve always played around with drones but used to be heavily in to fishing.

I was the same with that and would always have a new toy most weeks.

It’s the same with fpv. Started our with one and now have 5 fpv drones and a ton of accessories and spares.

I’ve tried to choose drones that allow different flight characteristics - faster, longer ranger, better camera etc.

2 Likes

That’s one thing I can’t bring myself to do, transfer capital from one interest to another, especially guitars, not even the cheap and cheerful ones I own. As I’ve pointed out many times I have a sickness.

As for Banggood, I tend to limit myself to items from the UK warehouse as I’m very impatient by nature. If I order on a Sunday evening they’re usually on my doorstep by Wednesday morning.

This method is usually quite a good filter. A few years back I was hellbent on acquiring another telescope, one with very high end optics, and a price to match. I found one listed on a dealers website as in stock and at a good price. I didn’t want to order online as I wanted it NOW! So I drove the not insignificant distance to the shop only to be told that it wasn’t in stock and they’d not got round to updating their website. In the end I never did acquire that telescope, and as it turns out I would not have had that much use of it anyway as shortly after my illness (not the previously mentioned sickness) took hold meaning I wouldn’t have been able to set it up for use anyway.

On a happier note, going to a larger quad is an excellent idea. It might sound like backward logic but the bigger the model the easier it is to fly. This goes for any model, whether it be a multirotor, fixed wing, or helicopter.

While at the big bash you will be able to see other people’s builds and get a lot of face-to-face advice and tuition. You may even leave with more hardware than you brought in the first place.

4 Likes

You’re being silly, save yourself a few quid

Has that helped? :grin:

In all seriousness I completely understand lol If I could I would have a quad for every day of the week :smiley: If you want a new quad treat yourself. It’s only money and you can’t take it with you :+1:t2:

Thanks for the mention @Nidge

@notveryprettyboy

3 Likes

Well normally I wouldn’t but I’ve just about reached saturation point on that front. Around 16 guitars last count (buy 'em cheap and pile 'em high), 3 multi-FX, sundry other separate FX units, a couple of amps and cabs, plus all the mixers, PA, monitors and lighting for a gigging pub band. I don’t really have the space for anything else, so I’ve just about managed to convince myself I have everything I need.

At least drone stuff is a bit smaller, for the most part.

PS: The Big Club Meet for anyone who’s interested. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great plug love it! :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Ok, so now about this drone :japanese_ogre: , very good reviews around and got my geprc baby crocodile (same category) from banggood and it arrived in about the time they said. I’ve said that but don’t quote me :wink:

Indeed. I feel a spreadsheet coming on. That’ll keep me from being too spendy for a little longer.

I have been flying the £10 ones for practice but already have 7 of thr real ones…

As I have 13 motorbikes none of which run I am a believer in maximising pleasure

My Mother isn’t around any more to tell me to stop

1 Like

Well, the GEPRC Crocodile Baby is looking good. Josh B seems to be a fan, at least.

That’s it. I’ve placed my first foot on the slippery slope. It’s now just a question of when, rather than if, I fall. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I considered that but went for the chimera 4.
It’s pretty good and flies well.

Have you gone for digital or analogue?

Analog. I tried to minimise future spend by buying separates rather than an RTF for my first whoop, hoping that I wouldn’t have to buy everything again when I was ready to move on to the next thing. But it seems it’s a similar game to PC upgrades - before you know it you’ve got a Trigger’s Broom situation going on.

1 Like

Totally get you.

I think whatever way you do it your always gonna end up upgrading this and that.

Well, it’s certainly what I’m finding anyhow.

I bought a rtf, only use the drone now as 4 of my 5 drones work on crossfire.

I’m never one for selling much on so will probably keep them all as spares!

1 Like

Just has a message from DHL to say delivery of my Crocodile Baby is due on Thursday. :smiley:
This won’t include the battery though, which I guess is coming via surface mail and will take considerably longer. As I will also need a charger, I guess I can see about getting that and another battery from a UK supplier.
This means I should be ready to wreak havoc at The Big Meet

As I will also need a charger, I guess I can see about getting that and another battery from a UK supplier.

Not the cheapest but I bought this one and would highly recommend it

I am getting over 7 min flight time with Tattu R-Line 850mAh 4S 95C LiPo Battery (XT30) and that’s with ending most flights between 14.8 and 15V (They then go to pretty much storage voltage when flight is over). Would recommend a few of those in the meantime.

Which receiver did you go for ?

I went with the FrSky XM+ because I think/hope it’s compatible with my RM Tx12 without having to get an additional transmitter module.

Batteries seem to be like hen’s teeth at the minute.