The Daily Photo Thread

Just a space where a couple of woodland paths cross.

Middle of the woods …

1 Like

IMG_0792

2 Likes

LOL!
The Ordnance Survey offices are only a mile from there … I’ll call in and claim the name.

Send him that picture, tell him you found it on the internet so it must be true :grimacing:

1 Like

9 Likes

What a sunset :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is Sick!!!

If any of you guys have Facebook id appreciate the support.

https://www.facebook.com/JKAerialImagery/

Cheers Guys

1 Like

Weathers been amazing the last few days. Hope you have all had the chance to get out.

10 Likes

Where was that? Great photo!

Polkerris, south coast of Cornwall dude.

1 Like

Powering the future
Love them or hate them the world needs power and this is the greenest option we have. Working as a wind turbine engineer I get to hear a lot of different view on the subject. But the fact still remains the same, we have become a world that relies heavily on power and that isn’t going to be changing anytime soon. Next time you turn your TV on or charge your camera its worth considering the effort required to get that power to you. I can honestly say that I’m proud to be working in the renewables sector helping to power the future. Also little fact for you the UK just went 3 days without coal powered stations. A massive step forward to building a better future.
Im aways keen to hear everyones opinion, whats yours?

8 Likes

A wee bit better than my fotay of my mini Turbine…lol

From last summer … the hilltop village of Sant’Agata di Puglia
I’m a bit of a fan of Italian hilltop villages/towns … but this one was the most spectacular I discovered. Not only was it on top of a very steep and conical hill, it was also 99% devoid of any tourism. Add to that my visit coincided with their siesta, and I only saw 2 locals in the 90 minutes I was there.
A tad annoyingly, it rather spoilt me for looking for more such towns, and is the only one I’m keen to re-visit.
Almost no car sized streets added to the tranquillity and antiquity.

9 Likes

We’ve got a load up my way. They dominate quite a bit of the landscape.
Think it is or was the largest onshore wind farm in the UK.
I don’t mind them but can see why a lot of people complain.

Whitelees has 215 turbines with a capacity of 539MW. Like I said it takes up vast amount of land and dominates the landscape.

Hunterston B up the coast is barely noticible and both reactors have capacity for 1200MW.

I’m all for renewable green energy but at the same time the government really needs to invest in nuclear at the same time. Especially when trying to eliminate petrol/diesel cars.

Another passion is traditional Italian tiled roofs …
Also taken last summer, in Peralia Sottana, Sicilia.

7 Likes

Yup, I’m a fan!

I find something very tranquil in them…

How did you get in to the industry? Qualifications needed or just some seriously intensively training courses?

Before this forum is renamed to "Grey Clouds … ", allow me to inject a little more Calabrian and Puglian sunshine from last summer …

The castle of Le Castella, Calabria, sat on the ball of Italy’s foot, on the Ionian sea, is one of many Aragonese castles and fortifications to be found in Southern Italy.
Like so many of the historic buildings/structures of south-eastern Italy, and Puglia in particular, it’s constructed from the local Pliocene-Pleistocene limestone (I read Geology at uni) that has such a very attractive slight rose colour, and which always looks so beautiful in the sunshine.
Here, in the ball of Italy’s foot, is of the same limestone that can by quarried from almost any field. It also sits in handy level strata that cleave easily into rectangular blocks. No wonder it’s everywhere.

Castel del Monte, Corato, Puglia … 50km west of Bari.
It was built during the 13c by the Emperor Frederick II.It has neither a moat nor a drawbridge and some considered it never to have been intended as a defensive fortress, but more a piece of medieval “look at me” bling.
Again - the Puglian limestone.

12 Likes

Ha!

It would be a wholly appropriate rename given the weather in the UK thus far :smiley:

Great photos Dave :+1:

2 Likes

Injecting a bit more 2017 Italian sunshine … Sardinia, this time.

Early evening at Spiaggia di Piscinas (Piscinas Beach), adjacent to some excellent dunes.

(All screen grabs from some mucking about video.)

8 Likes