The Daily Photo Thread

I’m lucky enough to get a bit of time to myself on my job so ima start taking my mavic with me in the truck

Day and night scene, Liverpool Docks and Crosby area, amazing how far you can see when you are used to lots of hills!

10 Likes

Hi all , couldnt find start topic so I put it here ,please move if not correct… Barr Beacon today , mini 2, not sure if its aldridge or great barr.

17 Likes

7 Likes

Got no bloody filters yet … :cry: now i know why we need them though!

13 Likes

Filter may not make much difference with the sunlight so direct (it just forces a longer exposure). Best bet is to shoot in RAW and/or take multiple exposures at different settings and then blend the images in software. If in doubt or no access to decent photo-processing software, I find it’s usually easier to lighten the dark foreground during editing than to darken the highlights in the sky; so reduce the exposure manually while shooting.

Hi thanks great advice …yeah I did just that …but frustrated as i’m working with adobe Cs2 :cry:… so I can’t edit my DNG files as yet …will have to try a free editor and see what happens.

1 Like

These are excellent

1 Like

Hi ahhh thank you… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I did do some video as well but am still flying slow n low /practicing , as still really anxious when I get high lol . :nauseated_face:

You may as well give Photoshop Express a go, since you’re already using Adobe. It’s basic but it will do DNGs and as a last resort it’ll save a JPG of you want to do further tweaks in something else.

1 Like

great thank you … will try that , am dyin to see the diifference with DNG never tried one.

1 Like

Hi Laina,

Try ‘RawTherapee’, it’s free, edits RAW pictures and is absolutely marvellous. The only drawback is that there’s not much by way of instructions, although there are some YouTube videos to help.

https://www.rawtherapee.com/

Hi Thanks will give that a go too :grinning:

If you’re going to be trying some other editing software out anyway? On digital you need to expose for the highlights, then bring up the shadows. If you expose for the highlights ( the sky) the shadows can be more easily recovered in the software. Once something is over exposed in digital capture, to the point of blowing out, it is gone forever, no amount of jiggerypokery in software can recover it. Use the exposure compensation (EV) setting to get the clouds and sky looking right and with detail, forget about the rest until editing time, it can all be brought back to life.

3 Likes

@Laina just watched your video and noticed the text message I didn’t spot it on the still cos I didn’t zoom in very nice remembrance message

1 Like

Hi Thanks , it’s from a famous poem , just thought it was fitting for that pic :smiley:

1 Like

Also check out GIMP, it has a steep learning curve mind!!! But it will do far more than most of us need, I personally find it too complicated but lots of others love it and there are thousands of tutorials on the tinterweb for it

1 Like

An old favourite place!

10 Likes

It is indeed commercial [source].

There is a small entrance fee which includes a guided tour of £3.50 for adults, £1 for under 16s and £8 for family tickets.

1 Like