The development of Drone Scene continues!

Not sure if this is the correct thread, if not, I am sure someone will move it :wink:

I am trying to add my first location to Drone Scene, but when I click “Add Location” I am getting an error:

Error

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a tag within a “web.config” configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This tag should then have its “mode” attribute set to “Off”.

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the “defaultRedirect” attribute of the application’s configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up. I’m sure @PingSpike will be in it as soon as he can.

Just a random thought, in the mean time, did you try logging out of DS and logging back in again?

Trying now.

1 Like

No same error. I even tried CTRL + F5 to clear my cache too. Then tried incognito, same.

1 Like

I’ll pick this up with you tomorrow @clinkadink if that’s ok, not able to investigate this evening.

2 Likes

Yes, fine by me. I’m not going anywhere :pleading_face:

2 Likes

@PingSpike

Just a thought, you can’t add this to Dronescene?
Or similar keeping it all in one place.

2 Likes

What are their licence costs like Steve? :thinking:

We used to have all manner of weather data in Drone Scene but nobody ever used it so we took it out.

The reasoning (from our members) was that they don’t often use Drone Scene on the date of the flight, apart from maybe to log a fight report with NATS. Instead, they tend to use Drone Scene to plan ahead. Most would use Accuweather or whatever their trusted weather app of choice is on the day of their fight.

2 Likes

Just to add, I’d not rule it out, a lot of people swear by UAV Forecast.

But the licence/investment cost vs how many would actually use it would need to be justified :blush:

1 Like

Some swear at it … like any forecast … because they rely on freely available data that’s beyond its sell-by date and free.

UAV currently giving 16-34mph where I am. I’ve just checked 5 weather stations near me … none is showing more than 4mph.

1 Like

I can probably relate to what you are saying in the fact that it’s used more for pre planing and not so much on the day. Not sure I was around (or using) it in the day when it was on there.

As for the cost and just going off on a tangent… its a shame there’s not an official app, whereas people purchase the app which in turn pays for the licensing etc. It would have to be popular as possibly used globally to be worth while though.

Ah well was just a thought and appreciate your response :+1:

We’ve released a new version of Drone Scene today.

Nothing spectacular to sing and dance about, so consider this an interim release while we work on bigger things in the background :blush:

What’s changed? :thinking:

User Interface changes:

• Added a link on the “Add Location” page to the English regions Wikipedia map
    – People were unsure which region their location fell under when close to a boundary

• Changed OpenGraph descriptions for Shared Locations

• Added colours to all buttons on the Dark Mode theme
    – Buttons were all completely colourless, to make the Dark Mode, er, dark…
    – Not ideal for modal warnings, danger/cancel buttons, etc
    – Coloured buttons also aid the visuals on the Good 2 Go service

• Added “Good 2 Go” last selected drone model to your profile in the database
    – We now remember (and pre-select) your last used drone, so you don’t have to!

Bug fixes:

• Map Layers didn’t immediately load when viewing a Shared Location
    – If you clicked on a Shared Location (example) none of the map layers would be visible
    – They only appeared if / when you moved or zoomed the map :man_facepalming:t2:

• Add Location form broke if you entered a YouTube Channel link instead of a YouTube Video link
    – After several years of nobody ever entering a channel instead of a video, someone found out it actually broke the form if you did!
    – We won’t name any names, you know who you are :wink:

Enjoy :blush:

11 Likes

Got some strange looking black splodges on Drone Scene this morning, any ideas why?

1 Like

That data comes from Altitude Angel, untouched by DS. It is what it is.

:thinking: But that layer in that area (Glasgow) does seem to be loading very slowly.

2 Likes

Zoom in and there are just rather a lot of icons! :fearful:

2 Likes

Yes, very sloooowly! Zooming in it seems to be showing power generators for every house in the area.

2 Likes

Good spot @Drumsagard !

I’ve logged this issue with our account manager at Altitude Angel as it’s affecting other platforms too, not just Drone Scene.

4 Likes

Looks suspiciously like either they’ve accidentally flagged every solar panel as a generator in the layer, or a property developer has been a little over-zealous in registering the environmental credentials of all their new builds.

Not the only one - there are a load of ‘generators’ showing in Newton Mearns, like this one

(two generator symbols, two different panels)

Sorry, I know that doesn’t really help… I just find these quirks in data to be more fascinating than I should :wink:

(edit: now I’m looking at the text of the popup in Drone Scene… “risk of damage to […] critical national infrastructure”. I wonder if this is the National Grid changing their dataset to include every solar panel that has a feed-in tariff? Technically, I suppose they are a part of the National Grid. Again, doesn’t really help… but I’m surely not alone in being fascinated :wink: )

5 Likes

We should revert to coal power generation! It would clean up Drone Scene. :+1:

3 Likes

Another excellent spot!

:male_detective:t2:

2 Likes