The Great Big GADC 5th Birthday and Treasure Hunt Challenge!

@Challenges_Committee is it ok for me to DM proof of flying in an FRZ as proof requires individual employee work phone numbers?

That’s acceptable. If you redact the phone numbers does that make the document bo longer proof of permission?

Unfortunately that’s the case. I’ll include a public version of the story with redaction but it’ll make sense when I send it over. The tl;dr is I didn’t hear back from the initial exchange of emails so chanced it by making phonecalls to numbers in the email signature when on site after being in Liverpool for other subjects today anyway.

Entry Item 17

A Quarry,sand,gravel pit

Quarry Horton in Ribblesdale. Taken 1026 23rd July 2022 DJI Mini3 Pro

Claim 1 bonus point still in use for original purpose

Horton Quarry is a limestone quarry near to Horton-in-Ribblesdale, North Yorkshire, England. The quarry, which is some 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Settle, has been operating since at least 1889, and produces limestone for a variety of purposes. Stone used to be exported from the quarry by rail, but now leaves by lorry, although there are plans to re-instate the railway sidings. The quarry used to produce its own lime by roasting the limestone in big kilns on the site, but the last of these were removed in the 1980s. Since 2000, the quarry has been owned and operated by Hanson.

Drone scene entry 1 Bonus Point

Total 3 Points Claimed

1 Like

Three points added. They will show on tomorrow evening’s leaderboard update.

I claim 4 bonus points for:

• With a spire
  • For a further TWO bonus points - Flight conducted wholly inside an FRZ (Evidence of permission to fly such as an email required)
  • Drone Scene entry (with correctly entered FRZ permission details)

Drone scene entry for the park this flight was conducted within:

Proof of permission has been given unredacted privately to @Challenges_Committee but here’s the public, redacted version. I encourage everyone to, in the first instance, go through the official channel of contacting the email address listed on the Dronescene entry but if that hits a dead end there’s some clues below. :smile:

I started with an email exchange with Liverpool airport as below:

I then didn’t hear back after that exchange and was in Liverpool today anyway. I got to site and decided to call the numbers on the email signature. No luck with the landline. Tried the mobile. Got an answer! Introduced myself quickly as the person he’d had a drone related email exchange with for the FRZ. He basically said he wasn’t in work and that I shouldn’t call him on the weekend. I apologised and said I hadn’t heard back so thought I’d give it a try. He said he’d shortly text me the phone number for the RADAR controller in ATC, which he did.

I’ve redacted part of the number because while it’s very close to the number listed as the main ATC number in the FRZ info, I don’t think it’s appropriate to advertise for people contact the on-duty RADAR controller in the first instance for permission.

I then called the number and introduced myself and my intentions, had a few questions about my location and the drone and such. He didn’t have access to any of the emails as he was the on-duty airspace watchman. He said he didn’t see a problem but he’d ask “upstairs” and ring me back. He got back and said it’s a go but ring back when I’m done, which I did. I asked if he could supply an email as proof of permission but he couldn’t as he was the on-watch controller, but assured me that the calls are recorded and if I were challenged by the law to get the police to call them up. Here’s the telephone logs.

Long story short, being a total chancer does sometimes get you places.

1 Like

Liverpool marina website: https://www.liverpoolmarina.com/

I claim 2 bonus points for:

• Both sailing boats and power boats moored to the jetties
  • Drone Scene entry

1 Like

@Dorje No image to go with the post Ben?

Oops, corrected. I’ve gotten myself a little excited after all the shenanigans today and the saga with LJLA. :smiley:

@Dorje Both entries accepted 5 points and 3 points added to the board :+1:t2:

1 Like

Apologies for late response @ximi but we have had some issues to deal with. After review of your ‘Isolated Tower’ entry, unfortunately we cannot give the bonus point for ‘No other structure or buildings within 150m’ . We have made many many measurements with various devices using DroneScene, Google Maps and Google Earth and although its very close, we cant get a measurement higher than 149m from the closest building/structure. Your entry has been added to the scoresheet in the amount of 2 points.

Thanks for the entry Jon, 3 points added to the scoresheet :+1:t2:

1 Like

PSA @group-challenges

We have been getting alot of DroneScene bonus point entries added to DroneScene by numerous competitors with very little information.
The purpose of the DS bonus points is to get more people adding interesting places to fly on the map that other members can all benefit from.
We ask that when you add your DS entries can you all supply relevant information, most important and absolute minimum the name of the City, Town or Village it is located but also any extra information regarding parking, TOAL points, any restrictions relating to the site etc. We appreciate your cooperation in this :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Item 17. A Quarry, sand or gravel pit

Must Farm Quarry, Whiittlesey
Taken 23/07/2022 @13:29
With DJI A2s

Claming points for:

Still in use for original purpose
Dragline excavator
Drone Scene entry

Total of 4 points please

4 Likes

Our first sighting of a dragline excavator in the wild… 4 points coming your way!

1 Like

I claim 3 bonus points for:

• Aviation use in either war
  • Run as a tourist attraction (website or wiki entry to prove)
  • Drone Scene entry

It is now used as a small-scale tourist attraction on a guided tour basis by volunteers for conservation of the site.

http://www.hootonparktrust.co.uk/

1 Like

4 points added

1 Like

Did you not need proof for the DJI unlock?

Self-authorised for the authorisation zone. It sends a code to the phone number associated with the DJI account for you to enter in the app to confirm it’s the registered pilot so if the airport has aeroscope or something they can easily go to DJI and find out who was responsible for the flight based on the information (credit/debit card, etc.) on your DJI account.

1 Like

Bowling Green @ Blue Bell Inn, Old Ellerby (ERYC) (Blue Bell, Old Ellerby • whatpub.com)
Mini 2 - 23/7/22

11. A Bowling Green

• A match in progress
  • All players wearing whites
  • The green attached to a pub
  • Drone Scene entry

Unfortunately, the punters were not enjoying the outdoor facilities when I went, so only 3 points please:

• A Bowling Green
  • The green attached to a pub
  • Drone Scene entry

I posted the dronescene location yesterday before post #303 , but have now added more info to the thread.