The Great Big GADC 5th Birthday and Treasure Hunt Challenge!

Hi Paul, unfortunately we cant accept your entry for ‘A person or persons windsurfing’
The image you have supplied is a Kitesurfer or Kiteboarder.

Windsurfer

Kitesurfer

Heres a link that explains the differences

“WINDSURFING vs. KITESURFING | Kitesurfing Lanka”

WINDSURFING vs. KITESURFING | Kitesurfing Lanka.

The good news is, as your entry is not accepted you are still free to find a Windsurfer and resubmit an entry for this subject :slightly_smiling_face:

Now I’ve learned something, I wasn’t even aware there was a difference. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

And, if we are being a touch picky, your picture doesn’t scream “kitesurfer” to us either. At first glance all we see is a large body of water with land in the distance …

We accept images from drone cameras, single frames from video and screenshots of phone apps all with or without OSD overlay. The picture simply needs to show the subject and bonus items clearly.

Yes you are being picky, I was trying to adequately convey that it was taken with a drone in flight by including the beach and the sea - if I’d flown any closer you’d have said ’ how do we know it hasn’t been taken with a zoom lens from the beach?'. I know how the committee’s mind works. :thinking:

Sorry if we have touched a nerve Paul. A zoom lens shot from the beach would look markedly different from a closer drone shot from altitude.

1 Like

Not a problem, no nerve touched. To be fair I could probably have got a bit closer but it was blowing pretty hard and the Mini 2 was drifting quite a bit. Anyway, for those of us that aren’t going to win the competition half the fun of entering is the merry banter between the competitors and the committee. If I get chance to get an actual photo of windsurfer instead of a kitesurfer I’ll try and get closer for you. :laughing:

4 Likes

Think yourself lucky my b’stards decided they had had enough by the time i got out of the car and got to a toal spot.
They were walking back up the slipway. How inconsiderate can people be these days is beyond me

1 Like

I took a run back to Ballyholme Bay half an hour ago to have another look. This time there were over a dozen KITE surfers and about 20 or so wee sailing boats, and there in the middle of the mellee one solitary WIND surfer :man_facepalming:. The wind was even worse than this morning so there was no way I’d have got anywhere close to him so I called it a day and will try another time. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Which is ideal for windsurfers - if there is no wind (good for drones) they might not bother.

1. A Railway signal box

• A Side-Tank engine plainly visible in shot :white_check_mark:
  • Drone Scene entry :white_check_mark:

GWR 4555 steam train with side tanks. Built in Swindon and started life in 1924.

Taken between rain showers today with a Mini 3 Pro

3 points claimed

4 Likes

Call me suspicious, but I suspect that’s why it in there, they wouldn’t want to make it easy for us. :smirk:

3 points awarded :+1:t2:

1 Like

Whatever makes you think that Paul? :smirk:

I’m not sure, the idea just popped into my head for some reason. :grin:

Cavendish Mill

I’m going to go with this one for the Quarry and dragline excavator, this is to the far left of the main image with a close up to show what it is, I will let the challenges committee decide whether I’ve failed spectacularly :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Well done for finding one.

Hours trawling google maps and a 169 mile round trip :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

My entry for:
12. A wooden bridge:white_check_mark:

• Carrying a wheeled vehicle✅️
  • Spanning a river (must be marked as such on Google Maps):white_check_mark:
  • Drone Scene entry✅️

Google map:

The bridge spans the river Sow in Victoria Park Stafford, and the Missus is on a scooter.

Taken with mini 2 at approx 1655

Hopefully 4 points please.

1 Like

Nice find …

There’s one within striking distance for me … but no guarantee it will be: a) running and not in a shed (they decide on the day) and b) near a signal box !!

Hope springs eternal.

2 Likes

4 points added - once your post got quickly edited to include your Drone Scene entry :slight_smile: