The Great Big GADC 5th Birthday and Treasure Hunt Challenge!

This is harder than I thought it was going to be!!!
4 level crossings visited, no red cars and no more than 3 in a que. 7 bowling greens, not everyone wearing white,. 3 five a side pitches, nobody playing. Not a single concrete pump or military vehicle in site and absolutley no red buses or coaches to be seen on any of the dual carriageways. Do we get extra points for highest miles driven? I think I’m getting close to 700 so far. Marinas, inflatable rigid hull boats, sailing vessles, theyre all another 150 mile round trips sheesh. Thank fek I have a company van :rofl:

The difficulty of the task is reflected in the title of the thread. :slight_smile:

Use the seven weeks wisely; planning and research are a key part of the journey. And, to use a hateful phrase, occasionally think outside the box.

And, there may come a time when it is expedient to trade potential bonuses for accessibility of subject.

There are, unfortunately, no bonuses for miles driven. We will see if we can get you a commendation on vellum from a grateful petroleum industry.

agree, better to get 1 point than not enter into one of the 24 items.

However, item 2 is so random that it is virtually impossible - I can get two of the items, no problem - but all three in one shot - ain’t going to happen even outside of the box.

Now had it been red, white and blue vehicles on a dual carriageway together I might have stood a chance.

Having said that I did see the exact combination - but that was on a motorway and not a dual carriageway.

Ref items ‘collected’ vs points scored, @Challenges_Committee, if it wasnt too much bother for the minions you have tied up in the back room I wouldn’t mind seeing the ‘Items collected’ as a column on the leader board as well as the competitors score and position ( :slightly_smiling_face: grovel grovel).

Would that be number of items collected as in 5 out of 24 (possibly possible) or the specific items - tower, church, pub, windsurfer, yacht? (more difficult)

The minions under out command are there to do our bidding, not the competitors but we will discuss this amongst ourselves… It may well be a duplication of effort, serious competitors (as we were, once) keep there own records and a very close eye on the scores and potential transgressions of their rivals.

Yes please (if it could be done), just the number of items as in 5 out of 24 etc. I know how many I’ve got, but I’m just curious how many other competitiors have got, and you’re right, if I was serious enough I could go through the entries myself and do the sums, but I’m only a lightweight competitor, doing it for fun and if there was an easier way like your magic spreadsheet churning it out, that would be great. Don’t worry if it can’t be done, it was just a thought. :+1:

23LAZONICK-superJumbo

The Challenge Structures and Materials Team argued hard and long into the night before allowing one contestant’s contentious entry to stand.

How has this affected the scores? Click the Pic™ to find out
1 Like

Regarding items collected being posted on the leaderboard

Here is a hypothetical case:

Contestant A 25 points 7 tasks completed

Contestant B 25 points 6 tasks completed

Contestant C 20 points 5 tasks completed

Which one is in the lead?

Here is a level of detail we would not be prepared to go to but an interested competitor could find if they keep their own scoresheet (and many do!)

A - 25 scored- 7 items at a possible 5 points each - 10 points dropped

B - 25 scored - 6 items -three at a possible 5 points, 3 at 4 points - 2 points dropped

C - 20 scored - 5 items at a possible 4 points - no points dropped

So who will win?

How useful is knowing items found?

1 Like

I got the level crossing today first attempt! :stuck_out_tongue:

Will post later in the week when got more reliable internet.

The weather has been pretty bad here on my holibobs in terms of wind. Finally been able to get the Mini airborne today. A rigid non orange inflatable in the distance, get the drone up, get over to him and the f****r ejected and got onto his paddle board to come back to land. Fuming. Not sure I’ll get another easy chance at that subject with a visible wake again as come home tomorrow without doing some serious research for something training based in land locked Midlands.

Not been as successful a treasure trove of subjects as I’d hoped here due to the bloody wind. On the flip, great break and got to do loads of fun other things.

1 Like

I resign :joy: :joy:

Not useful, just interesting (for me anyway). As the late Brucie would say ‘Points mean prizes’, and that’s what matters in the end. Knowing items found may not be useful per se, but I wouldn’t have minded being able to see at a glance how the high scores compare to the number of items found. As you say we can work it out for ourselves - I only asked because I thought it might have something that could be easily fired out by your spreadsheet. So anyway, no big deal if it can’t happen. :smile::+1:
I’m off now to do a late entry for tonight.

My entry for the isolated tower, Rivington Pike Tower.

Hopefully 3 points.

1 Like

Tonight’s late entry, taken with the Mini 2, 4/08/22, Portavoe Water Tower at Orlock Point near Donaghadee, Co. Down around 8pm

Three points please:
An isolated tower (NOT a wind turbine tower) :white_check_mark:
No other structure or buildings within 150m :white_check_mark:

Drone Scene entry :white_check_mark:

1 Like

What are the chances of two very dodgy isolated towers within 60 seconds?

:joy: :joy:

@group-challenges

Three points. Thank you for a model Drone Scene Entry:

• The title gives the name and a nearby well-known town.
  • Parking information (including opening hours)
  • Good description of subject
  • Mention of other noteworthy subjects in the area

Other contestants please take note. The best Drone Scene entries contain all the knowledge that you wiah you had known before flying :slight_smile:

Ian, we can be as critical as we like about entries, we are the enemy after all :slight_smile:

Not sure that you have quite the same privilege …

Thanks for the tower Paul, three points.

Looking at Drone Scene it seems to be a cracking bit of coastline so we went to Google Earth and had a good look around, especially at Copeland Island.

Very few places to land a boat but we spotted an interesting one on a trailer - with the launch vehicle apparently a site dumper truck!

could award some extra points here and there for good drone scene entries. Will also throw off the mathematicians of the group who count points to make sure they can win. could really throw a spanner in the works :wink:

on my spreadsheet for this, today I learnt the function of

=SUMIFS($F$3:$3,F4:4,“”)+B4

It apparently works out the maximum possible score for everyone :joy: :joy:

Carrot and stick.

We like to use that except we would probably prefer to deduct points for a bad Drone Scene entry - the sort that lacks basic information…

Our training basically tells us to intimidate by pushing the carrot up your a*se and, should that not work, the stick can push it further … :slight_smile: