The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

The research is at least half the fun. The frustration comes when the items you need are too distant to economically visited. I can provide most of what is wanted by flying virtual missions via Litchi / Google Earth but I think I’ll have to save up in readiness for travelling for next year’s competition. Very few coal mines or canals on Hayling Island :frowning:

Canal isn’t difficult for you.

SomethingVexes

1 Like

Very similar for me with beach huts and would you believe railway tunnels ;o(

It’s a bit of fun to get people out flying, hopefully somewhere different. £100 prize is a bonus but hardly worth getting really upset over.

1 Like

Agreed, though it means going to the mainland. It’s the flight of four barge filled locks that’s the difficulty.

1 Like

It’s the getting out and having a list to work through I’m enjoying… the prize I would rather go back into grey arrows for business cards and such. or to a charity.

3 Likes

:clap:

1 Like

Yep. I’ve found places nearby that I wouldn’t have known existed without the GADC competitions forcing me to go and look.

4 Likes

Agreed. This is betting the little grey cells re-energised. And is seeing me flit between Wikipedia, Dronescene, Google Earth and even asking meatbags for advice. Found a few ideal candidates that are firmly in no-fly zones either legit or National Trust / English Heritage / Forestry Commision.

I found the perfect S-bend, worked out how to film it without infringing the drone code (houses both sides of the road) and went to ask landowner permission. Horses! No way can I fly a drone at 400 feet because the horses will be terrified …

It wouldn’t surprise me if a black market springs up for current images - "I’ll swap you a photo of 15 multicoloured beach huts and a video of a diesel entering a tunnel for a pano of the flight of locks at Johnson’s Hill … "

2 Likes

I doubt the horses would notice it at 40ft. The ones in the New Forest seem totally oblivious to anything.

It’s earned me an extra holiday - I was talking to Mrs K about some treasure hunt locations roughly 2 hours drive away from home and what a long grinding day that would be for me, and bingo, we’ve got another summer trip away planned now!

1 Like

Mrs Milk and the mini Milks reaction would be NSFW

1 Like

It’s not the bloody horses that are the problem. It’s their bloody owners!

2 Likes

Number 15. Three Choirs Vineyard, Newent. Taken today. Bonus for selfie of me in the Centre drinking a bottle of white.
Never did I think buying a Mavic Mini would lead to me standing in a beautiful vineyard with a nice young lady drinking a bottle of wine.
Thanks to GADC for organising it. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

You’re gonna have to help me out ?

Wheres Wally? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing the dark attired person stood in front of the tree on the left hand side of the house.

4 Likes

I thought he was hiding behind the tree, just popping his head out.

*had to use the MBP screen though ;o)

Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 15.38.01

1 Like

First to submit a Brewery, and now first to submit a Vineyard.
There’s a theme here!

1 Like