The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

You’re a big man Rob.
Everyone knows you didn’t want to blag a bonus point.
Me? I like giving the admins a headache :rofl: stoke the fire. Naughty I know, but it’s the cheekiness in me

5 Likes

let’s move on to the fun of the competition and site :wink:
Your all great people on here. :grin:

5 Likes

Full Leader-board updated.

[1] @McSteamy2010 [35 points]
[2] @Neil79 [26 points]
[3] @Steviegeek [23 points]
[4] @macspite [20 points]
[5] @Fatboy [18 points]
[6] @lee [17 points]
[7] @stevesb [14 points]
[8] @kvetner [12 points]
[9] @Meondrone [11 points]
[10=] @scorps [8 points]
[10=] @JoeC [8 points]
[12=] @TonyDM [4 points]
[12=] @Drones-CL [4 points]
[14] @Jhdee [2 points]

(E&OE)

4 Likes

My submission for item 18: An RAF airfield
– Must have been last used for any flying activities on/before 31/12/1949 - built 1940, closed 1947

I claim a bonus point as the original Control Tower building still exists, Taken Sunday 09/08/2020 at 0805 400 yards north of Moyles Court School, Ringwood BH24 3NF

Farmland requisitioned fir an airfield, concrete runways laid over rubble from the Southampton blitz. The airfield and some of the real-life pilots appeared in the wartime propaganda film “The First of the Few”.

Closed at the end of the war and taken up by a local car club. The perimeter track was, unusually for a race circuit. run anticlockwise. It attracted drivers of the calibre of Roy Salvadori, Cokin Chapman and Mike Hawthorn. The land was stripped for gravel when the circuit clsed; the resulting lakes include a nature reserve and a watersports area.

7 Likes

My submission for item 11: A brewery or distillery - Ringwood Brewery, 138 Christchurch Rd, Ringwood BH24 3AP, photographed at 07:40, Sunday 09/08/2020

I claim a bonus point for Brewery Name clearly visible on a truck* (three visible)

The brewery is rather more attractive from the front but the brewery name is not visible from that angle. Once an independent the brewery was bought by Marston’s who at least seem to have the sense to allow their once separate brands to carry on brewing in their own ways to produce individual beers.

3 Likes

He’s at it again lads.
Sorry. I’ll keep my trap shut from now on

4 Likes

Used to use Ibsley VOR beacon back in the 70s/90s.

Bet you a bonus point you can’t :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I wonder if they saw any drones today. :wink:

3 Likes

:scream:

Can I just point out that there are no motorway intersections that are a 4-leaf clover.
The closest is the Almondsbury interchange near Bristol.
There are 3 4-leaf clover interchanges in the UK. 2 near Edinburgh, one in Redditch.

Competitors and Judges. @GADC_Committee

With respect, may I suggest that:

• An entry is posted, with the number of points being claimed stated.
  • Judges either accept the entry and award said points, or formally declare a reason why some points are not valid.
  • The entrant has 24 hours to submit reason/justification/evidence as to why he/she believes the points should be awarded.
  • The judges reconsider the entry, and advise the entrant accordingly.
  • That decision is then final. and no further debate is had.

This is just my attempt to diffuse some of the tension and to avoid repeats of what has been happening over the last few weeks. None of which I believe is in either the spirit of the club or the competition (the best the mods. have done :clap:)

Views welcome, mods. are free to shout me down for interfering if they wish :+1:

Cheers
Steve :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok

Ok

Ok, so are there any or not?

2 Likes

Control tower now being used as a house

remnants of original hangar now being used as a stable. Air raid shelter in the background, this field was the dispersals area.

Now used by Skydive North West. i went up yesterday to speak to the jump coordinator and got permission to do the flight so left home at 05:30 this morning to get there for 06:00 this morning,

3 Likes

Love that video! :ok_hand::heart_eyes: a full video and switch to fixed wing mode would look awesome :ok_hand:

1 Like

I know but when you are limited to a 30 sec clip it sort of limits you, and I took that into consideration when filming, doh. I should have done another run. Hindsight.

1 Like

Definitely worth a trip back if possible. Get a proper flight… take us all back to the day :+1:t4::heart_eyes:

By far my best entry so far :ok_hand: well done :+1:t4:

1 Like

Cheers Steve much appreciated comments.the jump coordinator was a really nice guy, I’m sending him most of my footage, so chances are he’ll give permission again.

1 Like

There are not. One of the ones in Livingston is no more, and the remaining two have no motorways involved.

All covered last week. As they say, the thrill is in the hunt… and I had a lot of ‘fun’ hunting for one, even learned a bit about the fascinating subject of UK road infrastructure along the way. :wink:

1 Like

“Motorway interchanges” No
The one at Redditch is the between two A-roads

3 Likes