Those CREE Strobes are Sooo Bright!

Thank you.

Perfect thank you, and a discount code too👍

1 Like

I don’t have a video but I use mine 100% of the time as more often than not I’m flying against a woodland background & a grey Mavic isn’t great for spotting lol
Plus we can get military aircraft & leisure flights that don’t always keep above 400ft buzzing by so feel it’s essential to be safer!

4 Strobon’s, one on the front & rear of the rear legs give me omnidirectional visibility.

1 Like

I can highly recommend these, I have two white ones on my MP mounted on the rear legs with the 3M tape, so small, nothing to them but sooo bright!
Had a cheeky night flight out in the middle of nowhere in Ireland in Feb and you can definately see them much further than you can possibly imagine!

2 Likes

Here’s something I rigged up for my old MM… Sorry, no in flight video

2 Likes

Is white the best colour?

At a distance the colours are almost indistinguishable.

1 Like

From either the 1st January/July 2022, you’ll need a green strobe for night flying.

As @OzoneVibe says, the colours are almost indistinguishable at distance, so opt for green and you’ll kill two birds with one stone.

Ned

1 Like

Great oxymoronic legislation!

1 Like

Was looking at these today. Must admit, I find it hard to see either of my drones past 200m or so. They seem really effective. I weighed my MM2 at 241g with battery and props. According to Flytron, they’re 4g a pop. So 2 of these Strobon standalones would put me at the limit.

Granted, 8g isn’t a lot, but half of that weight is the 3.7v 70mAh lipo batteries. An alternative idea would be to tap into the unused 3.6v pin output on the MM2 power and ESC board.

From this (above) going to the Strobon SE v2 Navigation Strobe Controller (below) which weighs 0.3g and can drive/control multiple LEDs.

From the controller routed inside the front arms to where the antenna wires come out (underneath the front arms, where it meets the front leg), and have a pair of 0.5g Strobon 3W Power LEDs (one green, one red?) mounted on the legs held in place with grey heat shrink :thinking:

254_540x

Approx 2g of wiring would required too. That would make it about 3.3g in total for a pair of strobes that runs off the drone battery. There are probably a shed load of reasons not to do it, but being grounded … I have a lot of time to think up daft ideas :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Save all the bits and pieces and having to find power supply, and just get the Strobon CREE.
Brighter, genuine strobes, built in rechargeable battery lasts ages.

The strobing light is FAR brighter than the LEDs, albeit for very brief flashes.
But, they far more visible since (a) they are brighter and (b) flashing lights are more visible than the same brightness in continuous mode.

1 Like

You are no doubt right. The cree is brighter and the all-in-one product saves the need to mod.

That said, I am not a fan of how it looks stuck on with either a bracket or some velcro.

Then there is the weight and more items to charge (and with a micro USB cable :persevere:).

Ignore me. I am OCD when it comes to looks, I hate clutter and love modding (things that don’t need modding) :sweat_smile: I may have a look for some standalone crees, but I recall they require heatpads, which the Strobon CREE has built-in.

1 Like

Weight? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Unlike the LEDs, the strobes flash so briefly there is no heat to sink.

1 Like

Flytron is under selling itself … scroll to specs at the bottom of the page. It advertises 4 grams. Good to hear they’re lighter. A pair of them would put the MM2 at just under 248 grams.

3 Likes

In the end the whole idea is for the drone to be more visible.
On that basis alone there is no contesst.

1 Like

The underfunding of the UK’s police is such I cannot envisage every copper carrying a set of jewlers scales with them.

250g? 255g?

Most people happily will drive along a motorway at 80 mph, so why are people worried about going 1g over the 250g?

Pro-rata 80mph equates to 285g … so plenty of leeway.

I’m not suggesting everyone goes out and pushes the absolute limit and uses that analogy to argue their case - but what I am saying is let’s get real and far less paranoid.

2 Likes

I think my comment has been somewhat misconstrued. Personally, I wish to keep my MM2 under 250g, as it is the responsible thing to do - especially with the A2 CofC fresh in my mind. I don’t think trying to be responsible should be interpreted as being paranoid.

I take your point about UK Police not having scales to hand. But it may be a different story if there was an incident (to people or property) and the MM2 was above the legal limit.

Anyway, back to the topic. I have purchased a pair of Strobon Cree standalones (using the discount code) :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Forgive me - I may have been quoting your post but my comment about the 250g limit and the apparent fear of transgressing the 250g limit was more a general one than directed at just yourself.

Chances are by the time something’s happened that causes anyone to check the weight it will be in bits … and not all the bits … and easily be beneath the weight. :laughing:

In the end - I’m sure the only thing that would be of interest would be the model of drone and if that had a sub 250g spec … not an actual weighing of strobes, filters etc.

1 Like

Just received the Strobon CREE standalones. I ignored everyone’s comments and was swiftly blinded moments later :sweat_smile: Man, these are bright!

I also purchased some of the CREE Xlamp XP-E2’s from RS Components, to use with Strobon SE v2 Navigation Strobe Controller. Flytron confirmed they’d work, as they use the XP-E (predecessor) with the standalone. What I didn’t realise is how small these are.

2 Likes