Tilted horizons in photos

I need wiser heads than mine on this … I have noticed that all my DJI mini3pro photos are slightly off for the horizon, tilting down towards the right. I have allowed for gimbal re-balancing and tried all sorts of different ways of taking the stills, but it seems permanent no matter what I do. I don’t have the same problem if I am shooting video - that seems ok. I have done the gimbal calibration thing, several times. Grrr.

I am dealing with the issue in post, but it is driving me mad. Any ideas?

(PS I’m sorry if there is some already super helpful thread elsewhere on this. I have tried a search. Honest.)

Try a manual calibration

5 Likes

will report back

1 Like

yeee haaa success!
Thank you @Sparkyws
You’ve made me a happy dork.

3 Likes

Now if you could just pop out again please Amber, and re-capture this photo for us:

https://greyarro.ws/t/gadc-pilots-calendar-competition-september/67536/5?u=pingspike

rude @PingSpike

Only joking :blush:

It’s a fantastic photo :bowing_man:t2:

1 Like

I have the same issue with mine. My first m3p was fine but my replacement seems a little off.

Manual correction sorts it, but it is annoying that the settings are not remembered and needs adjusting every time it is powered on.

oh really? it resets? for fff fiddlesticks

@Doginabag

I have only done it on one flight so far, but noticed when I took off after a battery change the it was wonky again. Checked the gimbal settings and the compensations were all back to zero again.

It shouldn’t need resetting after powering off

I will do some tests later to check this

You should probably do an IMU calibration first and then redo the gimbal cal

Make sure the surface you are doing these calibrations on is perfectly level

1 Like

I did an I U callibtlration when I got home. The next flight I did since was still a bit crooked so just corrected in post.

I will investigate it tomorrow a bit more too.

Also make sure the camera has loads of clear objects to see (don’t point it at a plain wall!). The Gimbal calibration is done optically … if you don’t give it things to see, it won’t do it correctly.

I’ve done complete gimbal rebuilds salvaging parts from different gimbals … and it’s always done the job perfectly.

1 Like

Just tested the calibration and after a battery change I can confirm the gimbal setting are saved

I even tested this to the extreme and done a manual cal with the level miles off, and it stayed the same

1 Like

Awesome.
Thank you :+1:

1 Like

Just noticed mine is slightly off as well, was thinking of using the auto calibration, if no good then at least I can do it manually as well!

2 Likes