To sell or not to sell M2P

Hello on this fine sunny day. :sunglasses:
Whilst pondering in the garden with the wife today we’ve been chatting about the drones I own and the new regs that are coming in 2022. Anyway with out going to much into detail, it’s as the title suggests…
Sell or not sell?
With everyday that passes IMO it’s losing money and by 2022 when I want to upgrade to a certified aircraft the 2pro is pretty useless and not worth to much, unless you want to break the rules or fly in a field 200 miles from people. Im on the edge of selling, boxing up the cash and setting it aside for the new certified craft when they appear whilst there is still value in mine.

Would love to hear your thoughts, I’m sure there are many in the @group-mavic-2 group that are thinking the same.


1 Like

The same thought had occurred to me.

I think the date for expiry of legacy drones will get extended, given the lack of availability of classified drones.

I’m keeping my M2Z. In the countryside, under Article 16, I can fly it absolutely anywhere and will continue to be able to do so whatever happens to the legacy date.

I agree, though, that it’s going to steadily lose value over time. The best time to sell is definitely today.

But how long can you be without the M2P camera for? :wink:

1 Like

Think a lot of people in the same situation mate. Just finished my Scotland trip and have planned to take photos and post my 2 Zoom up for sale this afternoon.

Don’t have any future trips coming up so save the money now and see what happens in the future before our drones become worthless…

1 Like

This is it mate, this is where is start getting headaches :joy:, I do have the mini 2 to fall back on but as you mention it’s not quite the 2pro is it, albeit still a good little bird. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Exactly that mate, didn’t think I’d be alone on this, thanks for your input :+1:t4:

1 Like

Well you’ve sold me on it Steve, do you want cash or PayPal? :grin:

Would have to be cash mate :joy::+1:t4:

Still on the fence with this one… keep thinking I should sell , but then I think , 1 how long until certified drones are released , (will there ever be such a thing?) 2 will legacy drones be certified ? 3 will the rules change again ? not sure they have even decided , or know themselves yet ? :grimacing: :grimacing: :wink:

1 Like

Agree with all of the above mate. :exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

I don’t have an opinion either way on the sell/keep debate I’m afraid, but I’ll throw a couple of things in to the pot for consideration :slight_smile:

No manufacturers are working towards class marked drones yet.

The new regs for class marked drones don’t come in to force until 2023.

And that’s assuming it doesn’t get delayed again (and we’ve seen many a proposed CAA drone-reg get delayed over the last few years).


Thanks Rich, choices choices. Really don’t know what to do for the best. :exploding_head:

What if come 2023 you find DJI are still selling “regular” drones in to the USA and the rest of the world?

What if they don’t have a class marked model in their range?

Is this likely? :man_shrugging:t2:

It’d be interesting to know what their unit sales in to the EU vs no -EU regions are. I wonder what the percentage of sales the EU makes up? 5%? 10%? :man_shrugging:t2:


It’s simpler that you’re all making out.

If you want to sell it for £50 - consider it sold.
If you want to sell it for £1,000 - hang on to it for a while … until there’s so many for sale you’ll wish you’d taken my offer of £50.


1 Like

Annoying thing is , the current DJI drones are all capable of doing the things that “certified” drones will have to do… :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

1 Like

The other thing to consider…

If you’ve “only” got the Mini 2, are you mentally strong enough to NOT buy the next big magical drone that DJI release? (Which will still be a legacy drone don’t forget)

Because they will release many a drone between now and 2023 :smiley:



Can someone just text Steve and make sure he hasn’t collapsed in a heap somewhere?

He’s probably bought an Autel in the last 5 mins.

1 Like

Oh stop it 🤦🏽:joy::joy: I will give the money to the wife! Then I won’t be tempted :joy: nor aloud it 🤦🏽:joy:

What about keeping the 2 Pro and doing a GVC :man_shrugging: - cheaper than buying a new drone and if the 2 Pro still does the job - why change it if you can fly it as close to people as you can now :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like