Tower Hill - Note about HMS President

Any chance of giving a warning in:-

That this is very near to HMS President in this view And may be not obvious:-

relevant:- Lost my drone in the drink!

(By the way HMS President has a nice bar and gym…

3 Likes

I was pondering this. A lot of the DJI zones are a poor match for our actual CAA zones, and are frequently decried on the forum. I imagine many DS users have that layer turned off for this very reason.

However the DJI geo fences can’t simply be ignored, as they will interfere with your flight, so you probably should have them active.

Question for @PingSpike : Can you tell the difference in the data and split them onto two layers?

Bonus challenge: Create an augmented reality app that displays geo fences superimposed on a live camera view on your phone. :rofl:

1 Like

Spilt what onto two layers? DJI data already has its own layer.

I fly a DJI, when I’m at the planning stage of a flight I check Drone Scene without the DJI Geo zone layer to see if its ok to fly, then I put the Geo layer on to see if I will have a restricted height for my planned flight. I flew Tower Bridge last September with the Phantom Flight School, Alan the pilot from the company explained that that area was a no fly area but to keep to the middle of the river on the way down to the bridge and make sure to come back on the otherside and middle of the river to avoid the naval area. I had no problem flying his DJI Mini 3 Pro, in fact thats why I bought one. Maybe its because I still class myself as training that I go a bit in depth before flying.

1 Like

What about some bold wording on the dronescene Tower Bridge entry that this area is subject to strong signal interference and to fly with caution.

You had good advive there Lynn :+1:

The Fly app has all the information in relation to the DJI NFZ, all DJI drone flyers should check it prior to flying…IMO

Stuff that you can ignore (will not interfere with your flight) and stuff that will eff you up (as in the quoted mishap above).

Completely agree, but by that argument you could completely do away with the DJI layer in DS. :slight_smile:

And who has a list of such differences? How many are you aware of? How can they predicted? How are new ones discovered?

Who has the time to go through all the DJI FRZ zones layers :man_shrugging:

I don’t use it on DS other than a quick check but will always check it in the fly app

DJI do. I’m only talking about separating the DJI NFZs, which merely give you a warning, and the DJI geo fences, which will physically affect your flight. If they are identified separately in the DJI database (which I assume they are, as they are rendered in different colours in DS) then couldn’t they be put on separate layers?

Edit:

I’m only proposing two. Not sure why you think there would be loads. :man_shrugging:

Then they are already separated for you … by colour. :+1: :wink:

The data is just direct from DJI without any interception. Safest way.

1 Like

Alight, Dave, you win. I give up. :laughing:

It’s more that I don’t see it providing anything reliable enough to add anything.

For certain, were that done, within days someone would have a problem (at another location the other end of the country) and tell us the info was incorrect and it’s “Drone Scene’s fault that I lost my drone!”.

Also a lot of work for a very small advantage - only one location having been identified as needing such special treatment in the 4 years or so that DJI data has been on DS.

And I’ve had signal issues in other built-up areas inundated with wifi that aren’t in any zone on any map. And I’ve had full control and flawless video download at 2.5 miles out over the wifi-less sea at low level.

Conditions vary - and the pilot needs to be aware of that and take the potential risk implications into the pre-flight (/ and mid-flight) assessment. IMO.

In the area we are talking about they are 11 DJI zones :scream:

Personally I just wouldn’t fly there :grinning:

You can report it to DJI

I can’t find an option to submit a report from that tab?

I won’t be ever again! :grimacing:

1 Like

Not everyone flys DJI

And anyone who does with any sense should be using DroneHacks (or similar)

It says you can in the app using fly spots :man_shrugging:t2:

I have read a lot about the DJI hacks on these forums, how does that affect your DJI replacement if you log a flyaway or drowned drone? Would it mean that if there was an event like this that DJI could say that you’re in breach of any guarantee or cover?

Note: The only reason I’m persisting with this is the desire to be understood. I’m not disagreeing with either of your arguments against implementing it, but you both seem to be making my original idea sound far more complicated that I perceived it to be.

As far as I know (and I’m not an expert - I stopped flying my DJI a long time ago), only one of those will actually stop your drone responding as you’d expect, as in Doginabag’s invisible wall panic returning from Tower Bridge. I was merely suggesting separating those areas onto their own layer, because the other 10 do very little other than obfuscate more important layers you might have switched on.

It’s got nothing to do with signal issues. Just separating DJIs geo fences (Athorization Zones?) from their other clutter.

Happy to be told it’s not that simple. Happy to be told it’s not worth the effort/risk. Ultimately, I don’t care because I’m unlikely to be using it anyway. :laughing: But I do like to feel I’ve been understood.

:slight_smile: :peace_symbol: :heart:

1 Like