UK law on flying in your local park & over private land

It would be a civil dispute - the landowner could sue you for nuisance trespass. Very unlikely in reality as they have no easy way to identify you, damages would be difficult to evaluate, and nuisance normally only applies to repeated infractions.

So no need for @MSky to have any worries.

As long as her manages to inform the farmer that interfering with the flight is endangering the aircraft, an offence that carries a maximum penalty of five years BEFORE farmer lets go with both barrels of his Holland and Holland

3 Likes

Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on flying when out walking on rural right of way paths? Obviously not near other walkers or livestock.

Is there an issue with stopping to fly for a few minutes (I do hand launch and land with my Mavic Air 2) when on a ROW as suggested there would be by an active YouTube gentleman?

Thanks

Lots of thoughts on that very question …

1 Like

Thank you that’s very helpful!

1 Like

This is very similar to when electric scooters where released on to the market and soon after they where banned, simply because too many individuals and councils found them to be a nuisance and unsafe.

Simply just ignoring byelaws and having an attitude of we will fly where we want and try to bend the rules in to a grey area will make it harder for hobbyist drone pilots in the future.

We need to work together with landowners and local authorities to come to some form of agreement and the CAA UAS team should give some form of support. Although land use is not within their remit, some support to the drone community will improve the experience now and in the future.

The use of drones may change in the future as more urban and suburban area could become restricted with new UTM rules as and when that is actually discussed, this will not be in the near future though.

Manned commercial and unmanned autonomous commercial flights will need to share the skys together. Then we will have delivery, SAR and other types of commercial drone operations wanting to share the same area of sky. This will lead to UTM corridors separated by vertical separation distances. The unfortunate side to the future development of aviation is that the hobbyist flight will be the last thought and restrictions will be enforced.

But as mentioned in MrMPW video, we can negotiate specific areas to allow hobbyist flying and now is a great time for us to start those discussions with landowners.

Check out this topic: https://greyarro.ws/t/droneprep/18582 which discusses the new Droneprep site which aims to allow landowners to " Communicate your Drone Access Policy to the drone community and access a network of responsible flyers." and flyers to " Search for any Landowner, seek permission and find places to fly your drone responsibly."

I volunteer for a lost dog search group and we use drones to assist the search process. Last week we had a dog lost in a local Forestry Commission - so I requested permission to fly pointing out it was urgent. Supplied my Flyer ID, Operator ID, PL Insurance details, inside leg measurement etc etc.
The reply I got stated that FC have a process to approve such flights but it would probably take several weeks to complete :astonished: :thinking: :persevere: - they did however suggest I approach the owner of an adjacent property, get agreement to fly from their land and just over fly the Forestry land :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Fortunately the dog found its own way home :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Yet they were still sold in droves, I myself use one and have for 18 months, I park at the park and ride and commute the last couple of miles on mine

They will become legal in the next 12 months, already the hire ones are.

There are more knobheads on the roads in charge of bigger machines than us drone flyers are in the skies.

At £9 a query, don’t kid yourself its nothing but commercial

3 Likes

I’m not, though I thought the map was free (and a pale imitation of Dronescene).

2 Likes

I 100% disagree. For me, it is political. We are only having this discussion because land ownership is dominated by a minority and their property rights are given unreasonable precedence over the public good. We won’t win better access by accepting the status quo, in my view.

And I can’t see anyone bending the rules, just making clear that we do have rights and we should not be fooled by the wealthy into thinking otherwise.

4 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

From a FB page

1 Like

The imaginary 500 feet again that the CAA basically disproved when I emailed them pretending to be a landowner:

and covered slightly by blackbelt lawyer in this video posted here: Council byelaws (again !) - #83 by firstadekit

Basically which organisation is going to blink first and take someone to court, and I again, I think we’re better off just not poking these type of organisations. Rules favour us at the moment, so let’s not put that at risk.

5 Likes

Thanks.

I found the whole item interesting and informative.
It seems many unanswered questions remain as to who has the right for us to fly or not (tongue in cheek)?

1 Like

That was my reaction when I read that CRT letter. It’s a much better informed letter than you generally see from this type of body, but there’s absolutely no legal basis for any claim about 500 feet.

2 Likes

Where does it mention non filming.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that there in the Isle of Wight is a park used by everyone for recreation and there is a sign stating, If you use a drone on the site please adhere to the guidelines and use common sense or words to that effect.
No mention of permissions, conditions, regulations, registration or anything adverse to the flying of drones.
Now if one Council accepts that they are not a Threat, nuisance, or general unacceptable and agrees their use in a responsible manner, then how come other Council’s and Authorities see them in a completely different light.
This has been in place even before the new categories including sub 250gms which have been classed as presenting little risk to flyers and spectators alike.

2 Likes

Since starting to fly drones I have loved every second of it. Since joining this forum and others and reading thread like this it has made my scared to fly anywhere.

So I have come to a conclusion.

I will fly within the drone code.
I will not put others or live stock at risk
I will adhere to all NOTAMS
I will try and fly at quite times of the day (mostly in the morning)
I will not be seeking landowners permission to fly coz there is not a single part of this county that is not owned by someone.
If I am asked to stop flying by someone of authority or the land owner I will not spit my dummy out and behave like a rational human.
I will use all common sense and ration thought to assess whether or not to fly given the current set of circumstances.

12 Likes