UK Pilot threatened with a gun

Absolutely correct, but as a serving police officer (not in firearms dept - I’m not obsessed with the gym and protein shakes :wink: ), his more immediate concern is getting a couple of 5.56mm rifle rounds into the chest if he doesn’t do EXACTLY what he’s told when an ARV turns up. Ignoring their instructions isn’t generally something that gets to be habit forming…

1 Like

And the law is very much on your side, mate. The force you use only has to be reasonable in the circumstances - he’s got what you have to assume is a real firearm, you can justify pretty much anything as long as that weapon is still in or near his hand. I’m a serving copper, tho’ not in the Firearms unit, if they turned up and he had it in his hand pointing at the ground, he gets shouty warnings. The moment he raises it up towards anyone, it’s pew pew time. The law applies equally to everyone, if he pointed it at you and you killed or crippled him with one punch, legally you’d be fine.

3 Likes

Yea I can see some people getting p@@@ed off even when your well within the law ,it don’t give them the right to do what they like towards us , I still just don’t get the hate I’m gonna call it for us droners , my neighbor for many years & friend ( so called friend across the road ) does not talk to me or say hello to me anymore since she sees me in the park with my drone , am I bothered not really , she always used to go out of here way to say hello , now Jack s@@t , ah well she can do one , just saying , last I heard her mumbling to her fella oooooo oooooo that’s illegal !!! Yea what ever and the penny’s just dropped her name is actually , Karen :rofl::rofl::rofl: for real ! Old boot .

1 Like

Maybe if he needs those kind of shots a camera on a pole would be less intrusive or annoying and just use the drone for the reveal shots.

I can understand how a drone buzzing close to your garden for any lengh of time could be annoying but the over reaction from a 71 year old acting like a gangsta does show some professional help may be needed or has been mentioned a swift elbow to the face usually knocks some sense into these muppets.

1 Like

A follow on one from this I have just seen this in my news feed

I’ve been considering for a while that I should consider getting a bodycam for when I’m out flying, especially in built up areas. All this is certainly making me more inclined to get one. Not had anything approaching this but I have had the odd Karen and Ken.

Yeah think this guy (mainly due to the work he does), is used to filming “confrontations”. If someone’s coming across a road with what looks like a gun to me, lord knows what I’d do!

Cam for bike, flying and car… boy we need to film everything these days… :frowning:

1 Like

But not that dudes garden :wink:

1 Like

There lies the irony, everywhere we go everything we do we WILL end up on CCTV or someones dashcam or someones bike cam or someoneones bodycam or someones cellphone pics all of ehich arer close quarter images from which anyone can be identified but see a drone 50m above you and all of a sudden it becomes invasion of privacy…

3 Likes

We don’t have privacy any more… people need to understand that those days have gone.

Even the cnc machines I work on are covered in HD cameras. We use them for diagnostics and fault finding remotely, they’re a great tool. But some of our customers use them for covert surveillance of their workforce. I always make a point of letting the operators know exactly where they are, what they can see, and more importantly that they have very good mics on them too!!!

1 Like

While your asking about their GDPR policy ask to see their CCTV/surveillance one too ;o)

None of them have anything for cctv. A recent one asked me to to put links on his pc so he could see the live and recorded machine footage, his words were "now I can get the fuckers on camera and do a disciplinary "
I told him that unless they are aware they are being recorded for possible disciplinary action then I dont think it would be admissable in court. Told him he’d have to check the rules and regs. Half an hour later he comes back fro screwfix with half a dozen CCTV signs to stick on the walls

He’d still need a pretty good reason for using CCTV evidence in a disciplinary.

First question Union Rep Chris would ask ‘Why/where/when/what are you watching your own staff on CCTV for?’

1 Like

There is absolutely no way that a sensible person would get involved in a situation like this. Walk away and live to fight another day.
No sane person waves an gun at you. You can’t reason with them.
A bullet in the chest is a life ending experience. A BB pellet in the eye is a life changing event.
Definitely a job for plod.

2 Likes

That entirely depends on your nature. When it comes to the natural fight or flight instincts, I fight. I’m not saying it’s the correct thing to do, or that I would do it if presented with what could be a real gun. But I have had a weapon pulled on me at close range, and I have been approached by a group of 4 blokes looking for a pre kebab punchbag. I never backed down, I never said a word, and they never knew what hit them. I’m not big or hard, never done any training. I’m just super short fused and aggressive, once my button is pushed I lose control. I do admit that it has got me into a spot of bother in the past too, but usually on the rugby pitch.
In my opinion the gun is obviously not real. He tells the pilot he has already fired it, their is no moderator fitted so the gunshots would have been heard. Pellets or BB’s can of course still cause serious unjury, but if he got as close as that to me? He wouldn’t have enough time to react before getting a mouthful of elbow or fist.

1 Like

I’d agree. It has similarities but having owned one of these as a lad I could spot it a mile away.

Far lighter, lower quality metal and quite different to the real thing in my experience.

I’d have reacted the same way and wrapped it around his head

2 Likes

Amen

1 Like

Agree with most of what you say here but nevertheless in the heat of the moment when the adrenaline starts I wouldn’t count on identifying it as an airgun so readily. And as you say an airgun can still cause serious injury - even death at point blank range. I do disagree with the framing around “real” guns because an airgun is a real firearm - it can, as you say, cause serious injury or worse. Obviously it’s not as lethal as a powder charged firearm but it still has lethal potential.

All that said there’s nothing against standing your ground in the situation. I’d rather get shot in the front with a chance of neutralising them first than the back.

2 Likes