UK Pilot threatened with a gun

It’s mad you say that , I agree the quote , call me mad if you like & many who know me , know I will never sit with my back to the door “ for real “ , people say why do I do it , simple I want to know who’s coming threw the door , I never ever sit with my back to the door , wherever I am !

I know that I was nervous about an entry last year for the GADC competition as a couple of days earlier someone had reported a landowner shooting at his drone that surrounds a castle with a moat.

I flew early morning to avoid.

Now I am far more confident and would fly at any time.

But the fear was real then.

1 Like

Here’s a story from the Netherlands. A company was carrying out a totally legal flight with an M300, the drone was shot, but not damaged severely. Is this going to be a common occurrence in the the near future, I’ve seen it a few times reported in the states, but their all loonballs with shooters over there anyway🤪. The guy in the story yesterday, in England, needs to prosecuted the same way as if he’d taken a pot shot at a person, not just a drone. Same with this one.

The guy in england will almost definitely be prosecuted under the firearms act, even though it wasnt a real gun. As far as I’m aware it’s the intent that counts and he could get serious jail time. I’m so glad the gun laws in the UK are so much stricter than a lot of other countries.

2 Likes

True that but unfortunately they still seem to keep making it on the streets , the law needs to step it up !

I don’t actually think it’s the law as in police, its the justice system. No real ‘real’ sentence in a ‘real’ jail. Just be good and you’ll do half your time, here’s a playstation to play and a tele to watch while your ere, is there anything else I can get you? :thinking:

Yea your right the Justice System is not good , I would label my thoughts on different offences here but I shan’t as I don’t want to get in trouble but the whole justice system is corrupt , the I’ll call it “ the wrong people “ go to jail for much longer on the lesser offence than the worser offender on the worse offence if you get what I mean , makes me sick .

Edit

Yea way to easy !

Following extract taken from Drone Safe:

You can’t shoot down a drone, even if it is flying over your house or land, not even if you are really unhappy with it being there.

There are a number of reasons for this. If you fire a gun at a drone, even over your property, there is a chance that you might miss and hit something or someone that you didn’t intend to. If you hit your target, there is a chance that the drone might just drop from the sky and hit something or someone that you didn’t intend it to. Both of these possibilities carry particularly disastrous consequences and somewhat pale beside the legal fact that you could be charged with endangering an aircraft (the same as if you shot at an aeroplane) and face a prison sentence.

Another extract:

So, if you’re bugged about a drone flying over your property, talk to the flyer or operator, if you see them, or just report it. Otherwise you will be the one talking to the police, but not about the pilot.

That bit’s a total myth and has no bearing whatsoever in law. Small unmanned aircraft are excluded from Article 240 of the Air Navigation Order 2016. People keep going on about being distracted by a member of the public being a breach of ANO A240, doing something to the craft being a breach, blah blah. It’s not and you’d think an org like Drone Safe would know better.

1 Like

Fair point, but if a member of public distracts me whilst flying and my drone crashes, they’re liable. If they damage my drone they’re liable. No different than if they did same to a captain or first officer or pilot of a manned aircraft.

But that’s just my opinion. I’ll be accountable for my own actions, errors and mistakes but not of other’s intentions to make me make errors or mistakes.

Merged 2 threads as the reaction and answers are becoming the same

Ok, no worries👍

Full(er)/unedited video from the original source: https://twitter.com/FD22VRBL/status/1562018356655493121

1 Like

“…shouldn’t walk the street with a samurai sword thinking ya Steven seagull”
Yea spelt that wrong :rofl: one day I might just get something right !

Steven Seagull in this instance was so appropriate!!! So in my view not wrong :slight_smile:

If he is prosecuted then let’s hope the press jump on it. People need to see that shooting at drones and threatening people with guns (real or not) is unacceptable.

4 Likes

I’m the same, I got that from time in the forces. Reunions are hard to organise seating for, unless they bring their wives, otherwise we all want to sit on just one side of the tables

I remember as a kid in school ( waaaaaay back in 1947) I was prosecuted for firing an airgun in public (in the countryside)_ I got fined 10/- shillings (50p in todays money! and so did my mate who was with me - as another kid said he had seen my mate firng the gun as well…
My old man was not amused,
:grinning:

Well… It all happened down here…

Actually deserved a custodial sentence, irrespective of his age. :rage::rage::rage:

I agree because it was a handgun