Unlocking access to restricted DJI fly safe Geo Zones

@ATC-fun-police, nice to see an ATC being proactive and helping drone operators by understanding the process. It can only help!

My experience with flying near a local DJI NFZ was great too. I was on the fringe of the NFZ with no plans to fly inside but I figured I’d call the local ATC anyway to let them know what I was doing. Very polite, understanding and they asked me to respond to an email which had a few questions on it. See below.

Please provide the following details regarding your Drone activity, thank you.

a. Start / Finish time + Date
b. Location (Lat & Long)
c. Observation (Reason)
d. Type of drone
e. Amount (No of drones)
f. Size (weight of drone)
g. Height (of activity)
h. Heading
i. Date of input
j. Reported by
k. Contact No:

I sent that back and permission was granted all within half an hour for a flight the same day. I found being proactive and calling them anyway, even if your well outside their zones goes down very well and shows a level of understanding and professionalism, even for non commercial flying.

Yes that would great. Happy to help

If you want a range of feedback for your form make it available to those who have shown an interest in the subject via a link in a private message and we will try it out.

Who knows - it may become the standar for all UK!

2 Likes

And if they stick an API in front of it people could request permission (and get the all-important response back) all from within Drone Scene :smiley:

2 Likes

hello, can normal drone hobbyists unlock these authorisation zones ? i live right next to a football ground and the big blue zone covers the local park and fields plus my house etc so my newly brought drone says no. ive looked into the DJI fly safe put details in of my account controller s/n etc etc but it asks for a letter headed pic of a write up of why you want to unlock a zone or something like that, which makes me think it unlocking must be for commercial use only! which i suppose is right. maybe.

Moved your post to this thread which should help you out. Ask more questions here if there’s more you need to know.

1 Like

The only stadium I’ve flown near is Birmingham City and all I had to do was put my phone number into the app when attempting to take off. I was then sent an auth code which I put into the app and away I went.

I guess yours is Stoke or Port Vale?

1 Like

the mighty vale lol. will have a look at it now cheers m8.

1 Like

does the flyer id and operator id and paying my 10er make me qualified to fly in the blue auth zones ? lol

Hi all this is my first text

I have a DGI mini 2 and live near Manchester airport (5 miles) I am in restricted area due to that.

I want to fly drown in my back garden. I have used fly safe to add a restricted area polygon which has been excepted. I can not unlock the license on drone controller.

I try going to unlock geo zone / account unlocking licenses but there is nothing there to to unlock

I doing something wrong but not sure what, do I have to login to internet DJI site first?

1 Like

Hi @manchest1 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the Questions & Answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Our Associates are able to enjoy a lot of great services for free but our Members are eligible for a whole lot more! You can find all the details about our Membership Benefits on our FAQ :smiley:

Welcome once again!

Hi Mark - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Are you sure you are in the FRZ as the restrictions are 5KM from the centre of the runway

1 Like

Hi Mark,

What area are you talking about, I live in Timperley so also not far from the Airport but I can fly locally

1 Like

I am in Wilmslow

My road is right at the edge of the Manchester Airport restriction area lines it is be 5 miles by road but lot closer direct could be in 2.5km

I have worked out how to upload my Geo zones to my drone the show when linked up to DGI fly

The drone will still not take off in my garden the propellers s stop seconds after trying to start
DGI fly Is telling me I am in Manchester restricted area

I don’t think you are allowed to take off at all(even if kept in the garden) at any height. Now the chances are you’ll get away with it, but all it takes is a neighbour complaining about the noise/privacy and you could be in trouble .

Hi

I have DHI mini2 drone under 249 games

I am a a Berliner but I can fly drone in almost any areas

I don’t won’t to fly in neighbours garden upset them. I just want to test flying

Drone saying I am in restricted area even though I am in unlocked accepted GEO zone the drone will not take off

1 Like

You can’t fly in that location unless you contact Manchester ATC

Hi

I am very new to drones

What is the point of me making application for GEO zones at DJI fly same and downloading them to my drone if I can not use them

I am just in Manchester Airport restriction but I through I could fly in area if I have applied for GEO zones

I am no where the planes

Thankfully DJI don’t regulate the airspace, CAA do.

Have a read of this @manchest1 - especially # 7

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

2 Likes