Warning Iced Propellers, Motor overloaded warning (Code: 120652)

It is -1°C, there is a bit of low cloud and feels slightly damp with no wind :grinning:

Perfect for a quick flight around the local field this morning to see if I could get above the low cloud :wink:

Take off and hover, then up we go to 120m, can’t see anything :sob: it’s not that low the cloud :sob:
Came back down and had a little fly about

My fingers are freezing so decided to call it a day and bring the drone back
That’s when I realised it was unresponsive and acting erratic :scream: it was struggling to hold altitude and maintain its position

Then a warning Motor overloaded :scream:
Luckily it wasn’t too high and close by, I struggled but got it back and landed :face_exhaling:

Medium severity, more serious safety impactMotor error. Check propellers and fly with caution (Code: 120652). Motor overloaded. Land promptly or cancel takeoff. Check whether the motor and propellers are blocked or have frozen (Code: 30303)

Won’t be doing that again, it was twitchy bum time :joy:

Here is the Airdata

8 Likes

:cold_face::snowflake::ice_cube: didn’t know that there was a warning for this / code, good but not good, if you know what I mean, or lucky rather :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Looks like a combination of sub zero temp and 90% humidity. Beginning to think that the humidity level is a big factor in prop icing. I know I have flown, probably yourself and others too at lower temps with no sign of icing :man_shrugging:

One thing I have tried when forced to fly in sub zero temps is to put some WD40 on a rag and give a very light wipe to the prop blades - my thinking is the ice will be less likely to adhere to the props - may be talking out my A-hole. Not had any prop icing since using WD40 but there again they may not have iced up anyway :thinking:

Most of the A2 CofC courses advise an alert temp of +4 degrees C.

4 Likes

Yes I think you are correct John, it feels very damp in the air and yes I have flown when it’s lower than today with no issues

I did wipe the Ice off and do another flight :cold_face: but this time just went straight up and down

no warning but the props had ice on again

Might give the WD trick ago, might be worth a test where we just do 2 props to compare with the other 2 :thinking:

1 Like

I’ll give that a go too - good idea :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

I would be weary of using wd40 or ant other chemical on my prop blades as the chemicals might affect the structural integrity of the blades over time.
As mentioned above the A2COC covers prop icing in detail as its a known issue on full size aircraft too

1 Like

There’s a good reason why most propellor-engined aircraft that are certified for flight in icing conditions have propellor anti-ice systems :wink: Accumulation of ice on the leading edge can dramatically reduce the efficiency of a propellor, leading to loss of thrust that can’t always be countered with higher power settings. Note it’s ice that’s the problem, not just temperature.

3 Likes

its the combination of temperature and moisture, that give rise to prop icing ,i flew my Mini 3 pro today ,and it was minus 3 but it was a clear day with some sunshine, and i had no icing issues, i also would not put any wd 40 on my props .

3 Likes

If you’re worried about WD40 then use a little silicone lubricant - I worked all my life in aircraft industry and WD40 is widely used even on plastics.
Polycarbonate and polystyrene are a definite No-No for WD40.

5 Likes

Wonder if a proper ceramic coating would make a difference on the blades ?
Works well on vehicle paintwork for water repellency, no moisture no freezing :thinking:

Good thought that, my mate does that for a living, I’m sure he’d have some left over after a detail, I’m going too ask him his thoughts.

1 Like

Is there a badge for iced propeller……:thinking:

Prince Harry’s got one….:raising_hand_man:

1 Like

You are meant to be cautious at 4 degrees as thats the temperature where icing on the pops can occur. This info was plastered all over the a2 c of c training.

But would love to get winter snow shots myseld so its the risk you take.

2 Likes

When it’s cold like this, check dewpoint - can use Avia weather app, or just check the METAR of the nearest airport. If the dewpoint is very close to the actual temperature when it’s cold, the risk of prop icing is high.

Higher altitude, longer flight = higher risk. And it doesn’t take much to completely eradicate lift! Keeping the drone warm before takeoff will help a bit, but once airborne keep flights short.

3 Likes

Not any signs of significant ice shedding either. Giving the blades a surface that the ice that will form less chance to stick to is the only thing to do about it. What’s best depends on the materials but generally you should be OK with a WD type fluid, spray on and buff off.
For a scientific look at this issue see this article

1 Like

I did the same last winter but wasn’t that lucky :cold_face:

Good to know it all ended in well. I also had seen somewhere that if there are thick clouds, that the drone sometimes will think that it is an obstacle and will not go down through them. I have not had this issue myself.

Thanks for sharing Wayne, twitchy bum time indeed :fearful:.

I’ve only flown a couple or 3 times in really low Temps but never had any issues. I’ve kept my eye out and been careful but nothing.

Nice to know there is a warning, always wondered if there was or not.

Cheers Wayne

1 Like

Does Henrik Olsen follow GADC :thinking:

I saw that too and was thinking similar - unfortunately he didn’t prove if it worked - hopefully he’ll have another go and publish his results :man_shrugging:

Might be a challenge for Windswept Robert - he likes a test challenge :thinking:

1 Like