What do people prefer: the native app or Litchi

Hi all. I have purchased my first drone recently and was interested in how many use Litchi and why.

My interest is in its ability to ‘follow me’

Look forward to hearing back :relaxed:

4 Likes

Hi @imagit and welcome to GADC

I’ve used Litchi in a P3A and MP exclusively

For me it’s because it’s rock solid and less bloated than GO or FLY.

Just waiting for an iOS version for my Mini 2

3 Likes

I did the same, albeit with a Mavic Pro and an Inspire, and now a Mini 2.

It’s great just using one app, in the above examples I’d have had to use GO4, GO3 and Fly :roll_eyes:

And of course, this:

Fly needs a heavy spec device and it’s only a two year old app :grimacing:

2 Likes

I prefer Litchi and have invested in both IoS and Android versions. I fly Mavic Air, Phantom Inspire and Mavic Air 2 and as Rich (@PingSpike ) implies it’s good to have one app to rule them all :slight_smile:

I also make a lot of use of Litchi for waypoint flights and, with the app whose name I forget I can plan a flight and camera angles, run it in Google Earth and check, modify the flight in needs be, recheck then go and set the aircraft going.

I can then stand, looking cool :sunglasses: and answer any questions from passers-by, show them the screen and receive the adulation and sexual advances of gorgeous women while the aircraft does it’s thing.

Haven’t tried it for follow me though. There is a free add-on app called Litchi Magic Leash which may be your friend for that sort of thing.

4 Likes

I was excited to see that Litchi will be able support the Mini 2, but then I saw several YouTubers slamming it and saying we need to learn how to fly “properly” ourselves. They seemed to say the Litchi made jerky rather than smooth shots. @milkmanchris , @PingSpike and @macspite how have you found the smoothness of video on curves? Being able to plan missions with waypoints and POIs seems like an incredible capability.

2 Likes

On planned missions you mean?

No idea I’m afraid, I can count on one hand the number of planed missions I’ve flown in the last four years, it’s not a feature I use.

Not always giving the result you thought you would get. That’s why I fly in Google Earth first to check.

Yep, when the app is driving the turns and curves. I’ve seen some mission footage that seems very smooth and others that’s a bit stepped.

1 Like

Wow, dramatic footage. Very cool!
For the price, it can’t hurt to try.

I’ve heard it said that DJI won’t honour Care cover if you crash while Litchi is flying your drone (or while using the app at all). Any experience or knowledge about this?

Nobody in the entire world has ever seen or heard of a claim that’s been refused.

Would this not simply depend on the amount of time you spend planning your mission? The more waypoints you add the smoother it all goes?

I don’t know, just throwing it out there :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I’m about 1500km in (a lot of it is litchi controlled) no crashes yet (well nothing worth a claim)

There’s a specific post In a thread on another forum that is often used to prove DJI won’t accept a claim. If those using it as proof read to the end of the thread, they accepted the claim.

Who goes out of their way to make it possible for the likes of Litchi & Dronelink to control your DJI drone?.DJI.

2 Likes

Wow! I’m almost at 20km :blush:

4 Likes

Yes, I guess they didn’t create and release the SDK for their own amusement :blush:

Always used Litchi with my Phantom 4. less CPU intensive and more features. Sold the P4, bought a Mini2 - waiting for Litchi to come (April?).

1 Like

Gave Litchi a go once, with my Mavic Mini, wasn’t as feature rich as it is now, but to be honest, if I wanted waypoints and follow me, I would have got myself a drone that is capable of those things. I now own a MINI 2 and I am perfectly happy having manual control and the only automated feature I have ever made use off, is the panoramic photo mode.

However I will agree that while it has been said that DJI may not support Litchi or other third party apps, as mentioned earlier, why would they release the SDK, there’s certainly no law forcing them to do so, and I am also sure now they have release it, they can learn from others on what features they may add in future releases of the Fly App

I’ll wait to see what the Mini 3 has to offer, but frankly obstacle avoidance, follow me, tracking, waypoints etc are just not things I care too much for… I am perfectly happy with full on manual control, only things that they can improve for me, that I think would improve the already amazing Mini 2, are the reliability of the signal (which is already excellent) and flight time. Put it this way, the more a piece of tech can do, the more can go wrong.

1 Like

Hi M
Can I have details of the area you fly where you came across these admirers?
Sadly we pensioners are missing out to you young guys…

In that land of constant sunshine and warmth inside my head mainly :slight_smile:

Young? I was born the day before Er Madge (gorblesser) was crowned …

2 Likes

I’ll take over here if you like. I’m a incredibly young chap. 70’s born and still my own hip.

1 Like