Which drone should I buy for (up to) £1,800?

Hi everyone,
Well, after months of debate and saving some pennies, I’m really ready to buy my drone, however I have what to me is a huge problem.
I have decided to get the Mavic Air 2 but I’m getting more and more confused as the more I read about the different models.
Could someone please help me in which to choose?
Do I get the 2, 2s, Zoom, Pro or enterprise or another variant?
I would really appreciate some help on this matter as it’s got me frozen.
Whichever one I buy will be a fly more combo and the money isn’t a problem as I’ve been nicking out of the housekeeping kitty for over 12 month!
Please help. You can also text me with your replies on < phone number deleted >
Kind regards,
Joe

What’s your budget?

£50? £500? £5000? Higher?

Knowing the budget will allow people to make suitable recommendations, rather than just throwing random drone models out there.

Have you considered FPV? :grin:

1 Like

Just to add, it’s also bit of an impossible question @JoeBalanda

It’s a bit like me asking you what car I should buy :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Easy, VW Golf everyday :wink:

1 Like

Haha :smiley:

But in all seriousness @JoeBalanda - we need some context my good man.

What will you be using it for? What type of areas will you be flying in? Hobby or commercial use? What’s the budget? And and and…

2 Likes

Even though I would love to help you out and text you loads of information, its probably best just to use GADC and this page as we can post all the links and info you need on here :wink:

I am sure one of the @GADC_Committee will be along to remove your number!

3 Likes

For your own security, your phone number has been removed from a public post.

4 Likes

Have you moved away from the ‘cheaper’ end of the market ?

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the confusion and posting my number. Right, to add a little more clarity so you can hopefully help.
I am a graphic artist, so images are pretty important as I would love to be able to post videos and images for people to enjoy
My budget is between £1200 to around £1800

Yes, managed to save some more dollar

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the confusion and posting my number. Right, to add a little more clarity so you can hopefully help.
I am a graphic artist, so images are pretty important as I would love to be able to post videos and images for people to enjoy
My budget is between £1200 to around £1800

Hi Joe,
Before spending too much on a new drone perhaps start small (DJI Air2S) which has a good camera. Perhaps also bear in mind that air law is in flux at the mo (don’t worry too much about that) but the drone world is waiting with baited breath for the new C Class of drone which might then be of interest to you.
If you can say sod all of the above, I would buy a DJI Phamtom 4 Pro V2 which would just about break the top end of your budget.
Am I allowed to recommend a company that sells dones here? I’ll try as I did my permission for commercial operation with them. What I noticed is there’s none of the usual sales hot air - they know what they’re talking about and they’re a experienced and super friendly team who you can call and talk/ask anything. Here we go … Heliguy. Good luck and safe flying!

Thank you very much for the useful info. I will ponder on all this.
What is everyone waiting on baited breath for??
Is there going to be new restrictions or rules coming in to play?

Rewind to January 2021

With that budget I’d buy a Mavic 2 Pro. No debate. Best camera for the money. Easy to fly. Good features.

But …

Realistically you can only legally use it out of town (Open A3 or Article 16 permission) or in very quiet parts of town (50m horizontal distance from uninvolved persons). The second of those is only with the A2CofC qualification, and only for a couple of years (transitional period). Unless you want to invest in serious training and CAA Authorisation.

But …

The Mavic 3 should be out later this year (possibly delayed further). If that comes C-classified, then it can be flown in Open A2 (in town) indefinitely. It would be a much better buy than the M2P. But it’s a big “if”. It’s not likely to be C-classified, from what we hear.

If you want to fly near people, in towns, basically anywhere you like that doesn’t have a specific restriction, the M2P is no good. For this you want a DJI Mini 2. Much less good camera but money left in your pocket for the future.

3 Likes

Totally agree with @kvetner if image quality is your main concern then the Mavic 2 Pro is the way to go. The image quality from it is simply stunning! :+1:

1 Like

If you want a break from the DJI chains then the Autel Evo II 6K Pro is within your budget range too @JoeBalanda

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the good responses and advice.
I think I will have to go with the pro 2. As it’s the one I fancy anyway and going by all your feedback, it’s what most of you suggest.
Kind regards
Joe

2 Likes

Some great deals on used ones, go for that and a Mini 2 covers you for every eventuality (nearly)

2 Likes