Which video editing software

:wink:

Iā€™m using Apple iMovie, came free with my Mac and it does about 100x more things than I ever need :blush:

Ah ā€¦ busy with other things ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sorry. Mac and iOS. Have d/l Da Vinci (:flushed:) and a couple of others to try

1 Like

Iā€™m using iMovie at the moment, just fancied something with a bit more control

Davinci is very good ā€¦ but because itā€™s a cut back version of VERY sophisticated studio software, itā€™s not the most intuitive initially.
But the functions are all there, and - imo - itā€™s worth persevering at the early stages.

2 Likes

Yeah, d/l the manual. Iā€™ll work through it when I have a spare ā€œbitā€ of time :joy: Thx again for all the suggestions.
Iā€™m trying Da Vinci, Shotcut and VideoPad at the mo.

1 Like

ā€œWorking throughā€ the huge (very well organised, hyperlinked, and very thorough!) manual should carry a warning.

The manual includes all the features that are found in the paid-for Studio version ā€¦. and rarely identifies those features not available in the free version.
So it can be a bit easy, initially I found, to click on something that takes you to the pay-wall.

Donā€™t be put off. Whatā€™s available for free is way more than enough for a very technical and polished video.

Have fun! :wink:

Iā€™ve just noticed that DaVinci Resolve 16 beta is out - anyone tried it yet?

The chances are, with something thatā€™s predominantly aimed at the pro/studio user, that most changes/enhancements are focused in the areas not available to the free user ā€¦ so Iā€™d see little reason to bother.

I doubt most of us use 10% of whatā€™s available for free - :thinking:
I know I donā€™t. :wink:

1 Like

FCPX is the natural progression if you are used to the workings of iMove.

Out of curiosity what more control do you need?

1 Like

I may be missing a trick somewhere but I find it a bit clumsy and imprecise when trim/cutting clips

Iā€™ve just found LumaFusion on the iPad - not done much with it yet but looks pretty great.

Frustrates me when I can only get the feature I want on the computer so happy to have found!

I can cut to the frame with Davinci. Perhaps you havenā€™t expanded the timeline to offer the accuracy?

Ctrl+ on Windows.
Option+ on Mac?

The mark is just 5 frames from the start in this screen-grab.

2 Likes

Check out some YouTube tutorials you can trim right down to the frame

That was my first thought too :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah, figured how to trim to frame in other apps just donā€™t know how/if I can do it in iMovie

LumaFusion is all I use on iPad, it can even handle 4K. It may not have as many bells and whistles as other pc software, but it does a pretty good job and can still give semi pro results!

2 Likes

I have been using DaVinci Resolve 15.3 for Windows. Until recently I had the free version and it works well but those of you who use the free version know you canā€™t export h265 or even work with it to well in the free version. Well last week I took the plunge and bought the Studio version ad believe me it makes a big difference. This version makes full use of your graphics card and speeds along just scrubbing through H265 on your timeline and rendering on my machine is real time or quicker.
I wanted to make full use of the Mavic2 Pros capabilityā€™s with the smaller H265 compression and 10 bit colour and the studio version lets you do it all.
My processor is even quite old
I7-4970K
RTX2080
16gb Ram

However the studio version really uses mostly the graphics card and I never 100% the processor any more like I did in the free version.

I believe the 16 version is going to be better again but I wonā€™t mess with the beta software.

Just my bit

1 Like

Iā€™m starting to think there is something up with my laptop now.

Iā€™m really not having that experience even with the studio version.

Might do a system restore and start again.

1 Like