Windows desktop man seeks iPad help please

Hi it takes most capacity SD cards without problems. I’m using an SD card adapter into which I put the 64GB micro SD from my Mavic Mini.

2 Likes

At the risk of having missed something in the thread… you could just install the iCloud client on your Windows machine and configure it to sync your photo stream from your iPad?

1 Like

I just tried moving a file from iPad to the card and it worked fine. If you long press the file you want then you get an option to copy it to a location ie the card or move it to a selected location.

The micro SD card in the adapter then adapter in the card reader looks like this (you may just be using a normal SD card). I think you need iOS 13 or above for the two way using the little files app built into IOS.

1 Like

This shows you it can do both way transfer on iOS 13 and above but one way on lower than iOS 13. It supports up to and including 256GB SD type card.

1 Like

Thank you. Another option I guess.

I just looked at my Mini i-Pad4 and it tells me that the software version is 13.3 so guess it would work ? I have quite a few cards, both mini & normal size and also a few adaptors which get used for the for the dash cams & drone.

You should be good to go then. If you use it to import photos at any time, plug the adapter in to your iPad / phone and open photos app. You will see an import button appear at bottom left as it recognises the card reader. If you are reading / writing other file types then I would use the iOS inbuilt files app. Not sure what type of files you are transferring but the adapter works with photo / video, word, excel etc and a few other file types.

1 Like

The English isn’t very good in that answer but I guess it means both ways.

I think I need to tell all you very patient helpful contributors a few facts. Firstly I have been an OAP for many years and you don’t pick stuff up as quickly as you did when younger. My first pc was an Apricot dual floppy drive machine comprising two 1.44k floppy drives and a green screen in 1985. No Windows in those days. You had to work at the DOS prompt and no graphics of any kind. My next machine, again another Apricot, had a 286 processor and, wait for ir, a 20Mb hard drive ! But I had a modem in this machine which would transmit, using an app called Micromail and hosted by Telecom Gold, one side of A4 (text only still) in about 3 minutes. All dial-up in those days, no B/Band. But Windows was a revelation and I have stuck with it ever since. The only reason I bought my i-Pad was for the Mavic Mini. I reckon I know my way around Windows quite well but the Good Lady runs circles round me with her normal size i-Pad. And my techy Son just gives up on me. Just a great big thank you to all of you.

1 Like

I will only be using the adapter to take the screen recordings off my i-Pad. I use the mini SD from the drone in an adapter inserted in the desktop when I want to watch the actual videos without all the info. that is on the i-Pad screen that you can see when actually flying (Distance/Height/Mode etc. etc.) Are there any video/image formats that it won’t work with. I assume that it works with MP4 and JPEGS ?

It does that with no issues.

1 Like

That’s why I can’t find the damn things ! LOL

1 Like

I can only thank you again. How do I get it all to work ? What do I do on the i-Pad to get the data down the cable and onto the card ? Do I need to download an app. or something ? or does the i_Pad “see” the card and invite you to send the images/video down the cable. Apologies for what must seem inane questions but I feel we are getting there. Thanks for yoru patience everybody.

Don’t quite understand that ? Surely if they’re on the card you’ve got them ? Or am I being thick again and missed a bit of humour ?

HaHa aimed at @anon34183503
He suggested at a meet that I looked at his YT videos to learn FPV flying but I can’t see any on his channel :smiley:
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just put your card or adapter and card into the lightning port in the iPad first off. Then click the files app on the iPad (it’s a built in app) and then navigate to your card on the left hand side of the screen. If you haven’t named your card then you will be looking for an icon called “Unnamed” or similar, just click on that and you will see the card contents.

If you want to send stuff from your iPad to the card then again using the files app, navigate to the file and long press on it to get the option to move or copy the file to your card. Hope this helps but if not just shout up.

1 Like

All you had to do was ask

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnEhs2xqtY8R87pp8WEE-KA

2 Likes

Thank You :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Understood. Sorry for the intrusion.

Thank you. Just what I needed. I’ll copy and paste that and when I get the cable I can always refer back to it. Just one more question though. My charging cable has a USB male at the one end (where it goes into the 13amp plug) and I have put that into the pc while the ohter end is connected to the i-Pad. The pc could “see” it but without any detail and nothing I could investigate on the pc and I couldn’t find anything on the i-Pad that would allow me to transfer files ? Is that a no no ?

As far as I recall, you can transfer photos and videos using a direct usb connection from pc to iPad. When you connect you should navigate in windows to the DCIM folder on iPad and you will find photos and videos in there. I’m not sure if you can transfer other files though.

1 Like