2021 Official Fireworks Challenge

The Grey Arrows Challenges Committee are pleased to announce the 2021 Fireworks photography and videography competition.

Here’s your chance to win a super rare, exclusive badge to grace your Profile page!

The winners, as voted by other GADC members, will be awarded an exclusive champion’s trophy badge.

We have three awards available for you to win in our Fireworks challenge. They are:

1st Place Winner - Fireworks Challenge Winner 2021 Gold Badge :1st_place_medal:

2nd Place Winner - Fireworks Challenge Winner 2021 Silver Badge :2nd_place_medal:

3rd Place Winner - Fireworks Challenge Winner 2021 Bronze Badge :3rd_place_medal:

The rules and small print for this challenge are as follows:

• You must post ONE photo or video to this thread as your entry (feel free to also post / duplicate it in the #photos or #videos category if you wish). Media posted to other threads and categories will not be eligible
  • This challenge is open from 10am Saturday 23rd October 2021 to 10am Saturday 13th November 2021, Media posted to this thread outside of these dates will not be eligible
  • Media for this competition must be captured within the dates above
  • GADC members can cast their ‘vote’ at the end via a Poll which will run for 7 days to decide the winner. The winners will be declared on the 20th November 2021.
  • GADC members can vote for as many entries as they wish
  • You may post one photo or maximum 1:00 minute video to this Thread
  • Media must be shot using your drone
  • Media can be edited how you like for best results.
  • Please abide by the Drone Code when shooting your media

The post with the highest number of votes on the closing date will be deemed the winner and that member will be awarded the exclusive 1st Place Gold Trophy. The post with the second highest number of votes will be awarded the 2nd Place Silver Trophy and the post with the third highest number of votes will be awarded the 3rd Place Bronze Trophy

In the event of a tie at any position the Grey Arrows Drone Club Challenges Committee reserve the right to declare an outright winner at that position.

Any questions Please do contact the @Challenges_Committee

Disclaimer:
Please be aware of your surroundings when flying in low light, remember your collision sensors will not work. The Challenge Committee :tm: & Grey Arrows Drone Club :tm: do not take responsibility for any loss or damage to your equipment, property or people. All flights are at your own risk.

:four_leaf_clover: Good Luck :four_leaf_clover:

10 Likes

I don’t expect to enter anything special but I’m really looking forward to other members efforts we have some very skilled flyers/ photographers on the team …Alan

3 Likes

Research time, any displays coming up this weekend?
Here’s a few shots from Steve last year.
Looking foward to this years…

Photo credit : @SirGunner

3 Likes

Hmmmm video a display or try to get individual stills ???

1 Like

There doesn’t appear to be many official firework displays in Scotland this year and with this challenge coinciding with the COP26 flight restrictions, probably a non starter for me.

Quick go and buy a box before the 30th :scream:

1 Like

Cross border jaunt?

2 Likes

Very possibly :+1:

3 Likes

Use the timed shot on the Fly app if using a compatible DJI and it will take a photo every X seconds that you set it too, which will get you a better quality photo than a screengrab from a video, but will obviously still be pot luck, but better than manually trying to guess when to press the shutter.

No doubt other makes/models/apps do the same thing.

1 Like

@firstadekit thanks for that prompt I couldn’t find what I was looking for in the camera menu then realised I had to scroll down the options where I found BURST which can be set to 3, 5, & 7 images…Alan

1 Like

I’m not sure that is what I was referring too, but they could have changed things in the app since I last used timed shots. I did go to power on my drone last night to check, but is when I discovered it will no longer pair (see dedicated thread here) so I guess no fireworks pics for me this year.

You can do timed shots and it will just carry on taking a photo until you turn it off if you set it here. But equally burst may be better for fireworks, much like it is when working with animals on a normal camera. Or just smash the shutter button! :smiley:

1 Like

Very few displays around this year, so I’m glad I could get permission to photograph the display within the FRZ at Barton City Airport earlier this evening. Tough choosing an image (there’s a set here)!

Dji Mini 2. ISO 100. 3s.

15 Likes

Amazing! thanks for opening up the comp @kvetner :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Banchory , Aberdeenshire display this coming Saturday, pity I’m working til midnight :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

A lot of blue to become yellow or red markings appearing on DroneScene from either NOTAMS or user submitted flight reports, to give an idea of nearby displays.

1 Like

OK total newbie to Flying and video software, but intend to learn a very short flip of my local firework display. took a guess at settings and “just” went for it!

10 Likes

I’ve been looking at displays well away from the central belt to avoid COP26 restrictions, but will mean a bit of a drive.

1 Like

Thank you for your entry @jackruss Great clip. :+1:

2 Likes

i know its meant to be this year but last xmas out with the mini 2 :slight_smile: bout 10 mins catching footage of fireworks :slight_smile: my mini 2 is playing havoc currently :frowning:

3 Likes

Some great footage @Airlessmean Hopefully you can capture some footage to enter this year.

1 Like