A2 CofC courses

Nerves… We’ve all got them. If you’ve read your study material, you’ll be fine. If not, you can resit. Easy.

I don’t understand the invite thing.

1 Like

With UAVHUB, you just book a time and day when you want it (there’s a calendar for you to book it on). Click when you want it, then you get an email to confirm it. A few days before your exam is due, you get an email to remind you, and again the day before. Very professional and efficient.

1 Like

UAVHUB is now back down to £99 in their Christmas sale

I did mine with Pigs Can Fly. Once I had done the theory I emailed them and we arranged the exam… emails were always quickly answered. They gave me tips on areas to concentrate and im sure the mock exam was more than 5 questions… the supporting material and handbook has all the information…

If you arent sure send them an email and im sure they will ease your worries…

Thanks. I have emailed them a couple of times - on Monday I did again and was promised a call yesterday. Nothing came. I will contact them again.

Didn’t have any problems with Pigs can fly, did the course, read the notes emailed them and passed the next week, simple really

Thats a shame to hear, because they were very good when I did my course…

UABHUB are all good then? Planning on doing this for £399 but they’ve removed the calendar to pre-book the live classroom day Online GVC + A2 CofC Drone Course Mega Bundle | Drone Courses

UAVHub are about to transition to full virtual self paced learning of their GVC course with no classroom session. They’ve already moved their A2 CoC to a classroom less offering.

Did my GVC with them can’t fault the process TBH. I’d expect that they won’t be able to offer GVC flight tests for quite a while now that oxford is in tier 4 and Stoke in tier 3.

2 Likes

I have now done the training and just waiting for my Self Declaration to be OK’d before taking the exam. Matt is an excellent educator (coming from an RAF background, you would not expect anything different) and £99 seems great value for the content.

2 Likes

People seem to be rushing to spend £20 per minute to do a 40 question test (I know of at least 1 person who did it in under 5 minutes, scoring 100%) that enables them to fly no closer to people than they could in 2020 with their Mavic Pro drones.
Meanwhile most drones bought in the UK cost less than the test to purchase, so these pilots are not likely to do it at all.
Surely the whole point was to make drones safer by getting the pilots to think safety first, but that’s not going to happen if the cost of the test puts them off doing it.
Seems crazy to me.

2 Likes

People are only doing it that fast on UAVHub because after spending several hours watching the 151 videos and documents on the course they undertake the mock exam multiple times consisting of around 40 questions, with 30 on each mock exam.

These mock questions are the same (although the answers are in a different order) to the real exam.

On Pigs Can Fly - there are only 10 mock questions so I suspect their test takes a lot longer?

Can’t comment on others.

So, I do think that the remote pilots think more about safety as a result. The 5 minutes to take the exam is misleading - it is only 5 minutes because they have done the mock test multiple times and every time got 100% after the videos / notes.

UAVHub have had circa 1,000 people take the course to date - probably many more now.

2 Likes

For a Mavic Pro, yes. But if you have a Mavic Air or a Spark, the A2 CofC is the difference between being relegated to the countryside (A3) vs being able to fly high above your own garden even while the neighbours are staring over the fence (A1 transitional). For only two years, sure, but that’s a massive improvement.

1 Like

And let’s be brutally honest, anyone who cannot score the pass rate without reading the material shouldn’t have been in the air anyway.

3 Likes

I agree with you 100% Ian. I think that from watching all the training videos, I have certainly picked up some gems that I never knew about AND the knowledge learned will definitely make me consider safety more.
To my mind, the £99 for the course is worth every penny. Let’s face it, I spent £1500 on a drone and have purchased many accessories so an extra £100 to ensure that my knowledge of all aspects of flying, not just about controlling the drone, taught in a superb way, must be good.

That is one way of looking at it Chris, but this forum has a huge mixture of very new, very experienced and everything in between flyers. Surely these rules, along with effective training all in one place, will give everyone the knowledge required to keep everyone safe and will only benefit the whole flying community?

Notwithstanding the extra permissions that the A2 CofC will give to flyers, the safety aspects of this hobby should be known by all flyers. Granted, many people know the rules and will mostly stick to them, but others, especially new flyers, will have a good amount of confusion about some of the rules.

Perhaps GADC should have a sticky page that explains the new rules in a concise and understandable way so that everyone can understand. Maybe questions should be allowed and only GADC committee members (or very experienced members picked by GADC) allowed to answer, with FACTS rather than opinions, which the internet is (wrongly) packed with. Just a thought.

4 Likes

Sadly there is too much rubbish spouted on Facebook groups.

It is good to have a place where 99% are responsible.

3 Likes

Just signed up for the free trial with UAV Hub, seems very informative and is well presented. Truthfully the info contained in the vids watched so far is readily available from various websites but I guess it helps having it all in one place in a logical structure. I suppose depending on what and where you fly will ultimately determine the value of the course.

I couldn’t agree more. The more knowledge less experienced users can gain the better.
I knew nothing when I bought my Mini 2, through this forum and online training I feel I am a safer user.

I got 100% in under 6 minutes. BUT I had spent around 6-7 hours doing the training modules and on top of that did 20 mock exams.

1 Like

Did you learn anything that isn’t in CAP722

No not for someone of your experience , but then 6 hours training only scratches the surface. I printed CAP722 (at work obviously) and it is, as you are aware, a huge, complex document. Fair play to all of those who already have the experience but any learning process that helps the understanding is surely a good thing.

2 Likes