Breaches of the Drone code

i practice in my local park , and try to stay away from people walking dogs . but it is difficult , i would not intentionally over fly people

3 Likes

That whole thing was a fabrication. Where in the modern world can you go anywhere without someone catching something on video. The video they seem to cite have was grainy, the “offenders” they arrested were released without charge and the Police even confirmed that this was an “industrial grade drone” i.e. not a consumer product.

It fitted a change everyone wanted to the law regarding drones, who could fly them and the public perception of drones. The whole thing was a staged con.

Sorry, this one really pisses me off. It was the single biggest damage done to our hobby to date.

Couple released without charge over gatwick drone

Gatwick Drone Incident

Drones causing gatwick chaos “Industrial”

Who benefited from this incident? - The Government, The Police, The Security Services and the “Anti-drone” manufacturers.

Who suffered by this incident? - two innocent members of the public and the entire drone hobby membership.

8 Likes

Gatwick megathread: https://greyarro.ws/t/gatwick-airport-drone-sightings-halt-flights/5162

A drone is an aircraft and as such should be flown within a set of rules. If we do that either as hobbyists and/or commercial pilots then that is a good step forward in aviation safety.

3 Likes

There’s some fairly horrendously stupid drone videos on YouTube that have had a lot of attention on one of the Facebook groups within the last few days. It’s hard not to think that some of the more blatantly illegal stuff being shared won’t result in more bad publicity that will affect the rest of us in due course.

2 Likes

I agree that rules are important and need to be observed, but they seem to be put together in a hurry. the airport restrictions are %100 right. but the 50m from people , is a bit vague particularly if your flying in a park where dog walkers and runners cant be predicted . it is near impossible to do. they just need working on to improve them. maybe they should say Avoid where possible. if there is a group staying in one place then that can be avoided.

4 Likes

Just to play devils advocate, if 15 years ago you’d been out walking your dog/kids etc in the local park/area and a hobbyist was flying a model helicopter/plane within 50m of you would have found that acceptable?

Not a dig, I more than often sail very close to the wind ;o)

2 Likes

yeh i would of stopped and watched

3 Likes

yep I can agree with that. i dont buzz people or target individuals , i usually target a poi.

4 Likes

You asked for an example. The big one Blackpool pleasure beach which is in the NFZ for Blackpool airport.
Just been put on Face ache. In the mavic owners page.

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 21.58.48

6 Likes

What do you mean he kept on following you around?

I didn’t take it. I’m not the stupid, well I am in other matters but not when I fly. :rofl:

1 Like

It was just you said " not only are you in a NFZ." My bad.

1 Like

Like this thread… Seeing the human aspect coming out in those of us that like to push life’s boundaries a little…

Those of you that have seen my footage / entries or been out for a day trip with me, know that I’m a massive advocate of drone safety, but use common sense too. Personally, if someone wants to fly 2.2 miles out to sea to capture a wreck, I have absolutely no issue with that. It’s safe, there’s no one around and I think the worst that could happen is they’d regrettably lose their drone.

Conversely, if some nobhead wants to fly any drone near lots of people or in a way that’s going to potentially cause a safety issue, then post it on FB to try and console their significant insecurities with ‘Likes’, they should have their drones donated to charity and their thumbs broken :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Admittedly, when I got my M2P, I did a couple of (excessive) range tests before I bothered to learn the rules. I can’t claim to now fly solely by VLOS as my eyes are crap… Plus it’s just easier looking at the screen tbh… Have never breached height rules, as I don’t see the need… I want good pics and being 400m away from something is usually enough

7 Likes

He’s now taken the pic down after i pointed out the issue. And deleted the thread. :grin:

3 Likes

:grin::+1:… Glad he listened! Oh just shat his pants :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Read all of the posts above, feel like I’m a total criminal now as I flew my MM for 1.5 km this evening. Yes I read up on the drone code, and no, if I don’t piss off anyone in the vicinity nor anyone else, I simply don’t care!! You may not like this but I have to say that, ever since I joined and (mostly) enjoyed this forum, the “don’t” bias on here gets, at times, on my tits. If you want the world to adhere to all the rules, regulations and laws, well, I’m afraid you’re on the wrong planet. Should anyone be offended by this, please do let me know!!
Anyhow, I wanted to know if the, MY MM, could actually do it and that’s why I tried it!!
https://youtu.be/OctS5FhUV-s

4 Likes

Do what I do, delete face shite and other social media?

6 Likes

Ah but that’s not in a NFZ, and it’s out in the sticks where it’s hardly going to affect anyone.
It’s when it’s blatant disregard for congested areas and NFZ I have an issue,
I personally don’t have an issue with what you did there.

4 Likes