DJI (Mavic) Mini 2

Defo; I have to locate the phone off centre so the volume isn’t pressed… But, trust me, use it, get used to it, and you will soon love it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Evening all!
Well, for what it’s worth, here’s a speedy unboxing, some twisting of the legs and props, a quick overview of the main features, a side by side sound test, and then some hooning around the local woods in Sports Mode. A full review!
Cheers,
Ian

10 Likes

Cheers @ianinlondon

1 Like

Got mine. Charging it up now, will take it for a spin at lunchtime I think!

2 Likes

So far looks good. I like the new controller although hopefully won’t need to use it much if/when they release an upgrade to use my smart controller with it. Feels a bit more substantial/better built than the Mini 1 - it’s a little less flexible. Orange wing tips are nice. Curious as to why the dropped the Mavic name, not that it matters.

Called Jessops today to see if they could speed up the process and send me the code… Error on website apparently, they haven’t got any codes in stock :sob:

Any where else I can get a 2 year plan?

Any reason you’d not buy a one year from DJI, then renew it @TassyWass ? :thinking:

(sorry if I’ve missed something further up in this thread)

1 Like

Can you renew it? I thought it was just one year and you buy the refresh+ for a 3rd replacement within that year? I may have understood it wrong.

Edit: just checked and you are correct, the refresh+ is an additional year! Thanks.

Could’ve flown yesterday :man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

How often are you planning on crashing this thing?? :grimacing:

3 Likes

:joy:

Hopefully never. My replacement MP1 hasn’t had any accidents in over 2 years. Mostly because it hasn’t left the house :joy:

3 Likes

Found two annoyances with the new controller.

The mount/grip presses the power button down and so I have to have it off-centre.

The USB-C cable doesn’t fit when I have my phone case on. To be fair, it was the same with the Mini 1 controller but when I saw this new one I thought it’d fix things but seems not to. I do have a spare USB-C to USB-C cable so can use that at least.

Roll on the software update for the smart controller so I can not use my phone!

1 Like

Nice purchase! On the name I’m wondering if its because in much of the DJI Goggle docs it says they will support drones in the “mavic range” but clearly they probably wont officially support the Mini 2 on the goggles, but I bet somebody finds a way!

1 Like

Yup, you’d have to be a total MUPPET not to discover this is an issue for gripping phones during testing! Did they DO any testing???

Other than holding it offset, its ok though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Works fine when you take the case off - cable goes in and the grip doesn’t affect the power button. Little
bit of a pain in the arse to have to take the case off but not the end of the world I suppose. I guess they couldn’t test all combinations of phones and cases but wonder if they could have done something a little bit more universal, or perhaps this was as good as they could get?

If they get it to support the Goggles, I’m getting some Goggles!

1 Like

I think it is the case that causes the problem. I took a stanley blade to mine, phone case not controller.

When the phone is out of the case the phone buttons are thinner and therefore are not affected by the grip. That’s on a Samsung S10 with Spigen hybrid case.

Is there any way around this? Drone wouldn’t go above 60m. I flew the Mavic mini in the same area last month, didn’t get that message at all.

Does DJI restrict altitude in certain zones?

Looks like I’ll keep hold of the modded MP1 :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, the case is definitely the problem. Just a shame that the holder isn’t wide enough to hold the case as well. Never mind, worse things happen at sea.

Have you tried rotating the phone 180 degrees? Sometimes makes a difference depending on button layout

Nope. That’s DJI’s new thing.

3 Likes