Drones on TV

Yep saw that. Some good FPV flying. Very sad that there wasn’t any hobbyists interviewed to balance the overall ominous and negative tone of the show. Yes sure drones can be used to do harm, but so can almost anything… Knives, cars, fertiliser, fireworks, dogs, sports equipment…! … But you don’t automatically assume negative intent when you see someone walking out of homebase with a chainsaw…? But my concern is shows like this mean anyone flying a drone in a local park is now gonna seem fair game to stand-up citizens with some story about an aunt who got stuck in Gatwick… Grrr

It a repeat, Aldo Kane has already been on tv in London and admitted most of it was exaggerated and the tests were rubbish.

1 Like

For whatever reason I missed it the first time.

1 Like

Should have left it at that Dave :wink:

3 Likes

It would have saved my blood boiling.

3 Likes

BBC’s “Seven Worlds - One Planet” this evening.

Wouldn’t mind that kind of drone flying gig … chasing puma in the southern extremes of South America.

2 Likes

It amazes me how unaffected the wildlife was by the inspire.

1 Like

I’ve not chased puma … but wildlife (other than those effing seagulls!!!) seems very disinterested in the UK.

They don’t conceive it as a threat, something most learn to do from experience and parental training.

New series of “Spy in the Wild” (episode 1) this evening … interesting drone(s) in the first ep.

Looks like an MP gimbal in the first drone …. but with the video reversed??

A different camera in the last clip, showing there’s more than one “bird” drone.

If you want to see the unusual way that drones can be used to film different Wildlife, take a look at this program.
You will be able to see it on catch-up soon (presumably).
Really smart ways of how camera drones and robotics are being used as well.
Looking at it now, there are some real ingenious builders of drones around !.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo

Moved your post to here … since it had already been mentioned.

Only seen Ep 1, so far … need to catch up.

1 Like

Sorry Dave, just watching it on a repeat obviously !, magical though !

1 Like

Yup - just playing with some video editing and, seeing my edit for the above, it reminded me to catch up.

2 Likes

Not quite “TV” … but watching the Bathurst 12hr race from Australia live on YT.

Great use of a drone to get live, post-crash aerial coverage!

It’s a huge circuit … so I guess they can get anywhere really quickly.

that’s looks expensive

One of many similar in the first three hours!

Caught up with “Spy in the Wild”, episode 2.

Four drones used - Hummingbird, Bald Eagle, Pelican and Stork.

(Edits just compilations of simple snips … so audio all fractured.)

Hummingbird

Interesting two-rotor drone. Props counter rotate (predictable) but yaw seems to be by tilting the wings in opposite directions (relative to the body), and forward/back by tilting them the same way. The CoG must be low in the tail.

Humming birds are tiny! … and so must this be. The prop speeds seem insufficient to make it fly.

Bald Eagle / Pelican / Stork

These are all three rotor drones … one in each wing and one in the tail.
That must make controlling the counter-rotation relative to the two predominant rotors a clever bit of cleverness.

Bald Eagle

Seems to have gimbal/camera from an MP?

Pelican

Difficult to see … possibly M2P camera?

Stork

Other than what is possibly a small camera for the FPV to fly the drone … I’m buggered if I can see a camera that’s capable of taking any program footage.
This is making me very suspicious that we’re being fibbed to. Yeah - it’s a drone flying with other storks … but as to “spy” footage, I’m rather dubious.

1 Like

Rather a poor showing of spy-drones in Ep3 of “Spy in the WIld”.
(Another very quick snip-snip edit with no finesse.)

Edit: The more I look at this series the more I think a vast amount of it is archive footage and fakery.
The “spy chameleon” in a tree wasn’t capable of moving from where it was (feet wouldn’t hold anything) and there was a vast amount of footage of Rock-Hopper Penguins that I recognised from past programs. :man_shrugging:

Surely the uniquely funded bbc would never reuse old footage?

But it had zero relevance to the dubious “spy camera” concept, and only contributed to the feeling the whole thing is somewhat faked.