Emax complete kit or my mix?

Or lay off the SoCo lol

1 Like

Hang on Hang on… :slightly_smiling_face:… I’ve just remembered ‘durrr’ that my 5S pack I use with my TS100 is Li-Ion 18650, five from the batch that you had some from the otherday @notveryprettyboy
It works fine, never gets warm,
Tomorrow I’ll check exactly what current it pulls :thinking:

1 Like

Wish I could say the same. Whilst wiring up my field charger, with the flu I might add, I accidently soldered one up the wrong way. Didn’t notice. I put one of yours the wrong way. It spot welded itself and started smoking :laughing:.
Not to be deterred by such trivial matters, I promptly pulled it off, cooled it down, checked the voltage and soldered the correct way. Then unsoldered the other, red hot, one and turned it round.

And here she is. (suffice it to say, the quality of the soldering is for my eyes only) A 6s 6p portable field charger. (Sorry @ziceman, I’ll keep it on topic now).

2 Likes

It must have been that :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Ordered:

TS100 Soldering Iron (with XT60 connector)

Solder Sucker

GNB 2200mAh 4S 110C LiPo Battery

TS100 Replacement Soldering Tip (C4)

Tin/Lead Rosin Core Solder Wire Reel - 1mm
TBS Solder 100g 0.8mm
TBS Solder 100g 1.0mm
Rosin Core Leaded 0.4 0.6 and 0.8

That’s me again losing the banking password from the wifey as it’s been a expensive week.:+1:

Cheers all have a good weekend.

Sorry question a wee bit late as I’ve ordered them but it’s really just to practice atm with solder.

I’ve been reading and think I’ve understood this, lead solder is quicker to heat and slower to dry which be perfect for me beginner, but on Amazon it’s all lead free, I’ve ordered some being 60/40 or something like that is this ok or always get lead solder.

2 Likes

60/40 will be spot on :ok_hand:t2: Get some Flux as well non clean flux is good :+1:t2: watch some videos on how to solder I picked it up quite easy. Pre tin both the pads and the wires makes it easier to make a clean joint. Flux will help the solder to flow right to the edges of the pads. Heat the pad and apply solder to both the pad and the soldering iron tip at the same time for best results :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Always get leaded solder with flux cores inside
The fuss with non-leaded solder has died down a bit now, aviation and automotive industries forced it out on product unreliability and % of product mass making it irrelevant.
As a private individual, using relatively low levels your concern is flux fumes
Best to get non-colophony flux and avoid breathing the fumes directly. Most people use a 4” computer fan, powered of a 3S :laughing: LiPo (12v) sitting on the bench pushing the fumes horizontally away from the workpiece
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@Steviegeek Omg not another battery you sure not 6S to run the Fan :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: thanks for info

Thanks @DeanoG60 for tips.

I will practice as I have a few iPads and laptops to play around with.

Only regret I have is not ordering the whole lot in one go as alone HobbyRC was 3 separate P&P’s :tired_face:

1 Like

If you get a 12v fan use 3S
If you get a 24v fan use 6S

Does not have to be a battery, use a plug in the wall adaptor outputting 12v or 24v

You can use your 4S and just tap out 3 cells worth from the balance connector

Sooooo. many options :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

These are good as well, I picked up a couple:

:grin:

2 Likes

For less than 3 quid they’re worth throwing in with your next order lol

As you can see you’re not alone:

:rofl:

3 Likes

@Steviegeek I know never to be a smartarse again here as there is always someone smarter :+1::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

Your kidding @DeanoG60 :sob::sob::sob: I think I will leave the ordering until my goods arrive as HobbyRC be starting to think I’m frauding them continuously ordering every 12 hours. :sunglasses: I looked on here for discounts already without luck.:scream:

1 Like

HobbyRC Discount Code

Did you do a forum search? This thread has the latest discount code on it?

2 Likes

Did not find them :flushed: I did a search in members only :flushed: lessoned learned.

Never knew what flux was used for, but now searching I’ve recently hearing people emphasis so much about flux more then the soldering itself, I understand that some solders hold a wee bit some more then others but even then use some more flux, watched and understood the workings of it now.

Just bought ​

Soldering practice circuit led electrical board

USB Mini Desktop Office Personal Portable fan

Flux pen no clean

Flux liquid no clean

Anti static wrist strap was unsure you have to wear them or not so just bought one incase.

That’s it no more lists that I’m might of forgotten please :rofl::rofl::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You’re all set lol

FPV is a hobby that you’ll always need something you haven’t got lol well that’s what I’ve found any ways :rofl: a lot of it is a one time thing though so it does slowly get cheaper because once you buy it you’ve got it for next time.

With the kit you’ve just purchased you’ll be building your own quad before you know it :+1:t2:

Welcome to the Hobby of FPV or as I like to call it, the wallet drainer lol but once you get in the goggles and start learning to fly for real you’ll forget all about the amount of money its cost and you’ll just lose yourself in the flight :grin: and it makes it all worth it :ok_hand:t2:

By the book yes you’re supposed to ground yourself to remove any static from your body as this can spark a board and damage it. But I’ve been working with circuit boards for (well handling them not so much working on them) almost 20 years with my job and I’ve never damaged a board because I wasn’t wearing an anti static wristband. But that doesn’t mean that it won’t happen. You’ll need somewhere to clip the end of the anti static wristband though one easy solution would be to clip it to the metal frame of your PC with it plugged into the wall as if the PC is built correctly the metal case should be grounded.

I fix photocopies for a living and I always turn off the main power before working on it but always leave the mains power lead connected as this keeps the frame of the machine grounded and I just touch the frame before starting work. :+1:t2: grounds out any static that’s built up within me.

1 Like

The only time I think one would have been useful to me was when I was working on a communications receiver and there was a lightening strike nearby. There was a distinct electrical discharge from my fingers into the circuit board. The end result was the destruction of a mixer/up-converter module. Having said that I think in some climates and situations antistatic wristbands are prudent especially in very dry, very low humidity, environments such as air conditioned workshops where static build up is a given.

2 Likes

Or if you ware nylon socks :rofl:

:laughing:
Don’t blow the solder joints cold when you’re soldering. Let them cool naturally :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I actually think you guys get more pleasure out of actually playing with your toys then actually flying them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was excited about the fpv drone the transmitter and goggles but honestly it’s taking on the soldering I’m looking forward to most , as I’ve tried in the past on soldering battery’s to phones in the past or something simple like wifeys wee battery operated lanterns and this has been hard as I cannot see enough with glasses and it’s blurry without so squinting and make a balls of it. So alexa just informed me that the magnifier goggles arriving today.

So lads just have this lovely thought in your head of me walking naked around my home today with these silly things on my head looking constantly at the mirrors :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Its definitely a fun part of the hobby, even more so while flying is being restricted due to covid. More excuse to tinker and build.

Built my first quad this lockdown :+1:t2: gave me something to do so that I didn’t go insane. Lol

2.5inch toothpick build

That’s my build thread some good info in there on the parts that make up a quad.

Also @Steviegeek and @notveryprettyboy have a build thread:

7 inch quad build thread. Start to finish

Again lots of good information on building your own quad.

1 Like