Frustrated with rules & regulations

So you emailed this all over to them?

Tbh, I might just risk it and go for it this weekend, I’m going to be in the air minutes grabbing what I need. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

You better not because when you look forward again, you have crashed!

1 Like

Well, after all the faffing about it seems that my plans to take some photos at Wimbleball Lake have been shafted :rage:

The response received last night…

Thank you for your enquiry.
Unfortunately your request to fly a drone on South West Water Land has been declined. We receive a number of requests each year to fly drones on SWW land and each is considered on a case by case basis. SWW does not grant permission to fly drones on SWW land except in very exceptional circumstances .

There are a number of reasons why SWW considers this to be so, including:

• preserve the peace and enjoyment of other visitors to SWW’s land
  • preserve the privacy of visitors to SWW’s land – especially children
  • protect the safety of SWW’s employees
  • prevent damage to SWW property and assets
  • prevent pollution to water resources
  • prevent disturbances to wildlife and livestock
  • maintain security and integrity of SWW assets
  • avoid interference with drones used by SWW for asset maintenance and other purposes

Frankly, I thought the reply was a joke.

Not a happy teddy bear.

1 Like

Yeah, drones are notorious for that :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

:joy: indeed. I also like the reference to interference with their own drones (that apparently don’t pollute).

4 Likes

Another perfect example of seeking forgiveness instead of asking permission.

10 Likes

This always makes me laugh, a lady had a go at me once because my drone was buzzing around…

It no bloody different to kids running around screaming or dinging their bell on there bikes and do I say, please remove your kids. :thinking:

And what about our enjoyment. Drone lives matter :fist:t4:

7 Likes

As others have said, this is why so many of us seek forgiveness after the fact rather than ask first and get refused.

Regardless of what they have said, they can’t do anything about you taking off from land owned by others (such as the open access land) or from a public right of way or highway, and if you did go ahead and take-off from their land, the worst they can do is say you are trespassing and ask you to move on. Which you can easily and politely do.

3 Likes

Not sure what you mean, I asked permission to two people in person and referred to speak with some alleged grown-ups via email and then phone. I was doing it be what they perceive as ‘by the book’ and was still declined.

Absolutely no forgiveness on my part.

Chris meant, you should have just flown safely in the area without first seeking to contact anyone.

If questioned on the day, seek forgiveness.

4 Likes

Sorry, I clearly misunderstood.

Sadly landowners like SWW appear to make it up as they go along. I have been flying drones here in Somerset now for over four years without any issues until now.

Having referred to CAA guidance (CAP722) my conscience is clear, I was just confronted by another muppet without a clue and trying to scare me off I guess.

I’ll be flying there later anyway :wink:

6 Likes

:+1:

Look forward to the footage.

2 Likes

whenever I get confronted I tell them I am from a gov dept that I am not at liberty to divulge and you are stopping me do my job and say it with conviction

6 Likes

:+1:

I did exactly this a few weeks back (see image)

I work on an army training camp which has a range danger area(orange on image) that is a beach, the beach is closed when the ranges are in use for obvious reasons. I have worked here for 10 years and k ow the rules and area inside out.

The day I was flying the ranges were not active so I could have been in the danger area flying but chose to stick to the area in red on the image.

An old local resident come to warn me of the danger area in a sturn fashion and about how my “toy plane” would be shot down if the camp sensed it was flying in there air space, I chuckled and explained that I work for the MOD and am based on the camp and our warheads were disabled at present. Needles to say it left him speechless and he left me in peace.

6 Likes

Should have asked him for his address, and when he asked why you want that you’d have responded that when the warheads are rearmed, they need a target location. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

You diplomat you, fuck off would have also worked.

7 Likes

I say old boy! A bit harsh what??

3 Likes

True, but it leaves no room for any misunderstanding. . . . :rofl:

8 Likes

But not in Horsham lol. Taken from HDC website… Drones in Horsham District

A drone is almost anything that flies and does not have a pilot. The technical terms often used to describe drones include ‘Remotely Piloted Air System’ (RPAS) or ‘Unmanned Aircraft (or Air) System’ (UAS).

Legally, model aircraft are considered drones. The laws below apply to drones that weigh between 250g and 20kg.

Drones cannot be used on any public spaces in Horsham District.

The definition of a congested area is any area which is substantially used for residential, commercial, industrial or recreational purposes. This means drones cannot be used on any public spaces in Horsham District.

2 Likes