GPS and RF signal jamming - The great big notifications thread

So, did you get your Flying day?, (and did the your guests head for the local Chippy for dinner)?

Well I did get out to fly but the drone just would not get off the ground ? Tried two different locations but still 'no go! Message on the phone said ‘magnetic interference’ Anyhoo, got back home (& yes via the chippy) & the drone worked perfectly. Superb day so did enjoy the getting out part of it.:+1:

Were you near anything metallic?, that’s is common if you are to near the car.
OR do you think it was anything to do with this test they were doing?

sometime pays you to do an IMU Calibration together with a Compass Calibration.
Magnetic Interference can affect the IMU in certain scenarios.
Would have to see the Logs from the drone to know what was going on.

This is the entrance to my pals place (white arrow on road) where the drone would not take off despite calibration attempts. He has a few acres all to the left of those pylons. TBH I had not been on the land before yesterday so was not aware of the pylons. Add that to the issue of potential ‘signal jamming malarky’ in the area I was very probably on a hiding to nothing but ‘hey-ho’ nothing ventured an all that! Is it worth even trying to fly within sight of these pylons again or are they an absolute no no ? Your thoughts !

Pylons won’t affect your drone.

Unless you crash in to them :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I agree with Rich, they should not have any adverse affect on the way it flys.
Could you not even start the drones motors?

1 Like

@Rob check this out, you’ll see @joe.k has provided a handy demonstration of pylon manoeuvrers :blush:

I wonder if this is part of the jamming process they are using?

Was the drone on the ground? Any electric cables running under his driveway entrance? :thinking:

That’s about all I can think of!

2 Likes

How far were you at the time from the jamming area Rob?.
Did you at the time, re-start the drone and the remote?(turned all off,then back on)

1 Like

I think I read an article in the last week about GPS being jammed in this area . Some military exercise thing going on for a few days.

1 Like

That’s the whole reason for this thread. :wink:

1 Like

It seems we also have this going on in Scotland too.

GPS SIGNAL JAMMING. GND JAMMERS LOCATED PSN 572821N 0055222W (VCY
APPLECROSS, SCOTLAND). EMERGENCY CEASE JAM CONTACT 01520 744319
OR 01397 436740/41. DURING TRIAL GPS REC MAY SUFFER
INTERMITTENT/TOTAL FAILURE,OR GIVE INCORRECT PSN INFO UP TO 151NM
FROM TRANSMITTER SITE. CREWS SHOULD BE AWARE OF THESE LIMITATIONS
AND USE ALT MEANS OF NAV. FOR INFO 01980 957597. 2019-02-0071/AS3

Although this likely doesn’t affect as many people as the Norfolk exercise.
cheers
G.

Just as a matter of interest, where you were attempting to fly, is that further away from the testing zone, than when you got home?
Just trying to work out why this may have happened?

1 Like

Good to know PingSpike as I would like to fly there so my pal can have a vid of his place. I will certainly give it another go! :+1:

1 Like

It was like everything was on shut-down, nothing would calibrate etc. All batteries were fully charge so it was a complete mystery?!?! but worked as mentioned when I got home .

Looking at the yellow circle I was right on it at approx 10 o’clock.

I wonder if you fired up just at the point in time when the jamming was happening?.
Also did you manage to actually fly when you got back home?

Just worried about “magnetic interference”. That’s bugging me.

I’m assuming aeroplanes don’t require a compass and can rely on gps as they move in generally one direction. If they are somehow scrambling the earths field locally and not gps…

All planes have a mandatory traditional magnetic compass.