Help with building my first quad with a DJI air unit 3

I currently use a DJI FPV with the V2 Googles and controller. I’m looking to go manual but i fear the FPV is too expensive to crash and eventually i want to build my own.

Could I please ask advice on a frame that works with DJI air unit 3 and a place that sells other parts and general advice on first builds. I’ve seen a few videos. I have a rough idea but finding a place and knowing what to get is a bit difficult. Keep finding frames and other bits but they’re in America.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Hey Colin, have you got an idea of budget to build your new quad? There are many UK fpv suppliers but you will probably find you will have to get parts from various shops as stock levels are often low. Some decent shops in no particular order below (Ive used all of these myself).

https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/

https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/

1 Like

One thing thats worth pointing out is that it wont be a cheap build with the O3 Air Unit as just the air unit itself will set you back £210. You will also need a frame, minimum 4 motors (worth having at least 1 spare), a flight controller and a 4in1 esc, lipo batteries, lipo battery charger, lots of propellers plus all the soldering gear if you dont already have any

2 Likes

Have a look through this thread of where Chris @clinkadink has basically gone through the same process

3 Likes

@Col101mc be sure to post lots of photos of your build as you build it. if you are unsure of anything post here. Lots of knowledgeable people here to help with your questions. its a fantastic process although an expensive one lol

Most of us here have all been in your situation and with the help of this forum have all built and flew our very own quads. so the information and knowledge found here is 2nd to non :+1:t2:

enjoy your build and let me be the first to welcome you to the frustrations of FPV stock levels good luck :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve just bought the AOS 5 O3 from Unmanned tech, fits lovely, let’s get a photo…

Seems a decent frame, hoping to get somewhere near completion by Christmas :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On top of HobbyRC, yourFPV, and unmanned tech, flying tech Is another shop I’ve used a number of times, and have good communications.

With regards to flight controller, the speedy bee’s are looking pretty decent (just retrofitting the V3 F405 into the old 5 inch, to put the Mamba H7 into the AOS). Motors… If you going with 6S, then 1700-2000kv, 2207, 2306 size be good. Once you got frame, FC and motors, you’re more or less there (other than the 7,000 bits of misc stuff you need)

Stock wise… I bought over 3 months to spread it, and wait to see when things came in!

1 Like

I reccomend Flying Tech
William is a good egg :smile:

1 Like

I just wish their website was less crap…

1 Like

Oh it’s sooo slow isn’t it and hard to find anything

1 Like

Get him on here. Maybe with a discount code

1 Like

Cheers for sending this over. This is very helpful.

To be honest, I might just go with the same thing as Chris @clinkadink (Cheers for posting the info, hopes its going well) unless people have any other advice. The frame has come up a few times so definitely that.

I don’t really have a certain budget. Im going to space stuff out so i dont spend too much at once. Just want to create a decent one so I’m not just updating straight away. Waiting for the frame to come into stock and go from there.

I already have the googles and controller so dont mind the spend on the DJI 03 unit, plus dont have a Go Pro.

My thinking :thinking: is hopefully that the self built drone will able to take a beating so my investment isnt short lived and i can just replace stuff.

1 Like

Chris’s parts list is definitely a top quality build list so you wont go wrong by getting the same parts if its suitable for what you want to build :+1:t2:
Have you had any manual flying experience yet? Its a whole different game to flying the DJI style camera drones and can be a bit of a learning curve. Would definitely be worth getting an FPV simulator and getting some flight time if you haven’t already. I dont use sims but many of the giys on here do regularly use sims so Im sure you can get some recommendations for the best ones to use. Below is a video that shows you how to link your controller to Liftoff (other sims should be a similar process). Also a Bardwell video of various simulators that can be used.

As Deano said in an earlier post, we have all been at the starting point youre at now and we are all here to help if needed so feel free to ask questions and we will do our best to give you answers/opinions :smiley:

3 Likes

I have a DJI FPV but haven’t gone full manual yet. I have a few hours experience in liftoff. I can keep it the air but I find it doesn’t do what I want it to do.

Not sure if it’s me, the controller or the sim but i found it very annoying.

I’m thinking to take the DJI FPV up high and switch to manual and try to get the hang of it. There’s a panic button that can switch it back to stabilised.

The only thing with DJI FPV is it’s plastic and can’t take any hits, so very expensive.

Im hoping to make something more durable. I might be mistaken haha but ill try take it easy.

1 Like

pretty sure @Earwig (Jez) arranges a few virtual meet ups using sim sessions every now and then. pretty sure they use discord as a means to communicate with each other while messing around in the Sim together as well :+1:t2:

2 Likes

thats manual for you and the steep learning curve that @SirGunner is talking about lol

Its probably you lol it really does take a bit of getting used to when you first start flying manual :rofl:

I know @Howard78 and @gunja99 have both done this so they may be able to give you a few tips

It should be more durable than the DJI FPV drone but they still break, you only have to read a few posts in the FPV category to see all the repairs being done :rofl:
You WILL crash and you WILL break things but the difference is you will be able to repair it yourself (assuming the parts you need are in stock somewhere)

1 Like

Haha yeah. I fly the DJI FPV very differently from my self built carbon ones… Main tip for that one… Learn where the emergency break button is… It’s amazing that button (now with proper GPS rescue, etc Betaflight should be capable of similar I reckon!). So get high, manual mode it then press the button to see what it does (stops it on the spot). Get used to that button… Then enjoy manual…

However saying that I knew how to fly manual/acro from my other quads, so if you’ve not spent time on the sims… Do! Do Do Do… You can use the DJI FPV controller on the SIMs, although you can’t use the buttons on a PC (you can on a MAC I believe).

1st time exploding into concrete… 2nd time losing it forever in a river… that’s my bag :wink:

2 Likes

Oh and change the DJI fpv controller so the throttle isn’t sprung. One of the screws on the back!

1 Like

Yep. Not done one for a while now. About time we tried another.

2 Likes