Introducing myself - Birmingham

Well I started looking at planes many many years ago, never got one, saw a plane crash years ago and thought. Naa not gonna spend money to crash it and to be honest… (sorry to plane flyers) I sorta saw the same thing over and over again), so never really bothered. Then the drone was born and I have a few drones that I really should not hold my hands up to admitting. One was a cheap drone (off the TV) and it came with a battery that you shove in (yep shove). It has a fly time of about 15 seconds from take off to tree or whatever it wanted to fly into. It just took off and did it’s own thing regardless of the trim. So that is in a cupboard somewhere along with a battery in a bag. I then got one with a camera that you record on an onboard SD card and play it back when you crash… I mean land… This drone is happy to fly in a no wind area (please do not sneeze near the drone as I may lose it). A christmas prezzie one year that sits in your hand that was about £15 and a few small helicoptors that are used to remove Christmas decorations. So they all went in a cupboard and collecting them from neighbours gardens was not great. Then I sorta grew up… Well it was a trip to my sister in laws and her son had a drone. He took off and was gone. I was shocked… a drone that did what it was told. Then I saw the pictures on the screen and went… “THAT IS LIVE… NOW… REALLY?” So that woke up the drone inside me. So after asking around a bit about drones… I kept hearing the letters DJI which was better then DCQ (Drone Crashes Quick)… Went to an event where there were 900 drones doing a light show for Paramount + and a guy there was chatting to someone about drones and it did appear that he knew something about it. So I asked and back came DJI. He mentioned DJI Mini 2 so I looked into it. This was earlier this year around June (typing this on the 31st of December 2022 so I can still say this year…)… So I went for it and destroyed a credit card that I had been so proud of getting down and bought the DJI mini 2. However I then learnt that to drive out somewhere and fly it for 30 mins and then back home, although fun was a little underwhelming. So then I found out about a fly more pack… WOOOOOO… Now I have an intelligent charger and more batteries. I was looking into drones again and learning about the obsticle avoidence on the dji mini 2. I carried on reading to find out that when a mini 2 is flown towards a tree it would be the tree that stops it and not the sensors. Back then I did not realise the fun I would be having with a Drone. So I look again… Ooh look… this one has sensors I say. So now I see I can do this on monthly payments via amazon and barclays… So… Welcome on board a DJI mini 3… ooh I got a screen now. Less chance of breaking the phone. Well after a while of using that I then realise that I should have looked into it more again. A DJI mini three I believe is like a horse wearing blinkers. Found a tree going sideways very very slowly but still, non the less, the floor is still as hard to hit when travelling downwards. So now I really have to stop. I have actually borrowed money from a family member (who can not get out as much and was enjoying seeing the videos of some flights when I got back). So now I have a Mavic 3 which now means I gotta take the exam to do a lot of things with it. Apart from the Cucumber to a cat problem with it (google cucumbers and cats) it is ok. No idea why it all of a sudden does the leap of faith when hovering but DJI said they would like a video of it doing it. So that is waiting to be done. We are not far from where the Commonwealth games were held (we could hear Duran Duran from our garden) and we had a no fly zone during it. The selfie stick was too short for my mobile to try and play. So there is what I have. DJI mini 2, DJI mini3 and a Mavic 3.

7 Likes

And after that long message it probably is new years day now

1 Like

Sorry me again, please note I am not great at keeping up to date with forums. Neve have… I will try my best so any messages I do not reply to is not me being rude but my sheer usless attempt at keeping up with forums. I got so far in joining though

1 Like

@Foley I’ve moved and created your introduction thread to keep the new years day meet thread on topic. you’ll get more responses from members here as they can see your location and give you a better welcome :+1:t2:

1 Like

I get you re the plane crash, I was at Lockerbie in 88 and one of the first at Tundergarth hoping to find survivors, we spent hours looking, worst night of my life, I was only 20

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Russ, welcome from the other side of the Beacon.
Come on over to Walsall Arboretum one day and we can have a fly (no problems flying in Walsall, but there’s restrictions in Brum parks)
Let me know and we’ll wait for a good weather day.

John

Hi thanks, will take you up on that. Yep happy to come over to the Arbo. Drive past and near to it regular. Thanks for that.

Hi @Foley welcome :+1:t2:

Busy day at the Arbo

I bet :cold_sweat:

Thanks, glad I found somewhere accepting of us. I did join a model club and then found out they are pretty anti drone. We were told that if we turned up to fly certain plane flyers would actually pack up and leave. So not the best. But found this place now so may be better.

Hi @Foley and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

I see you have found @Steviegeek, you’re in good hands there along with the rest of the Midlands crew they meet very regularly

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the Questions & Answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Is that Walsall Arbo… Never knew there was space there. Last time I went there was to see the lights…and how long ago was that…

Yes mate, the Extension just off the Sutton Road. Normally go in the Broadway pub early for a “Eat all you can” breakfast, then a few seconds drive up the road for a fly!

DID YOU JUST SAY EAT ALL YOU CAN BREAKFAST…Oh this is sounding like a good day.

Just looking at google maps to pin point where you were.

Well ar! I recommend the sausages, although the bacon’s not bad.

Do you have what three words to show where you were…?

1 Like

Think I found it