Litchi chit-chat ... What's Litchi? Should I use Litchi?

263 days in an inflatable . Nice.
Well worth it for all the scenic shots.

2 Likes

You need to re-visit your calculator. :wink:

7892 mins = 121.5 hrs = 5.5 days

1 Like

ooops

2 Likes

And we know Litchi is pessimistic on time estimates … so only 5 days … excluding the head wind … therefore you were about right without realising. :rofl:

I’ve been wanting to get litchi for a while now but was a bit apprehensive about not being in control of my MP when its doing its thing, but after seeing @joe.k video at Felixstowe port my mind was made up. I bought it last week and had a good read of the guide and watched a load of YouTube videos before doing my first mission last night. It was just a small mission not high or far in a big flat field just to test the water and what a beast this software is. I’m going to hopefully give it a proper go with a longer mission over the Easter weekend as the weather looks good but still a bit apprehensive about it

1 Like

Moved your post over to here to keep things on one place. :wink:

If you’re on Windows it’s really useful to download Virtual Litchi Mission.
This basically “flies” the mission in Google Earth so you get a very good idea of how the real mission will look when flown, and detect any incorrect settings (or incorrect assumptions) without wasting flying time.

The place to download it from is from the first post in this thread on Mavic Pilots.

This vid I made from Google Earth gives you an idea how realistic the results of VLM can be.

Shout if you need any help/pointers. :+1:

6 Likes

So … as much as I do my best to get to any flying location with everything on my check list, I found that the usb lightning cable I brought along was for charging only - no data. Fortunately I found an alternative that plugs into the port on the side of the controller - however the connection was very flakey - I could hear my tablet continuously pinging (charge / no charge).
Eventually got a stable connection but had to be very careful not to move the controller / tablet around.
So I hit the litchi play button and within a minute the screen froze . Happy to say litchi mission completed successfully .
I really trust litchi not to fuck up regardless of how flakey your controller to tablet interface is.

2 Likes

Indeed - it’s designed to fly without any connection … for where a mission just goes too far away.

For that reason I LOVE VLM …. to know that I’ve not somehow accidentally told it to fly into the ground/sea/too low/etc. It’s me that I don’t trust anywhere near as much as I trust Litchi to do what it’s been told to do.

1 Like

I was going to give my litchi a proper test this weekend gone but everytime I went out with the MP and got it in the air it was attacked by seagulls. This is my main worry that when its doing its stuff a bird strike will knock it out of the sky…I fucking hate seagulls :rage::rage:

3 Likes

Whilst you still have an RC link, you can still take over control from Litchi at any point.

1 Like

Mmmm… wonder if there’s a market for metal - razor sharp props.

Don’t give ISIS ideas!

That’s an idea

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to root your DJI Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 and Inspire 2 using DUMLRacer and completely remove NFZ

I’ve been watching Litchi videos, am reasonably familiar with Go and Go 4, but what is the basic premise, reasoning, (main reason) for changing software? Sever DJI umbilical chord, better something or other, etc. Please, simple for me so at least I can intelligently make some decisions. BTW, read a long thread on Go VS Litchi but still don’t know the why’s I should consider Litchi?

I’ve moved your post over to here, John, since it may answer some of your questions and saves repeating the same answers.

There are a few other threads worth reading, too - I’ll come back with them.

I found these two … they may give you an insight.

The beginning of Litchi vs Go4 may be of interest (it went a little off topic).

There’s this one that explains a little of some of mission planning considerations : Some notes on using Litchi

Come back with any questions you still have. :+1:

Cheers pal I’ll have a look👍

Thanks for not admonishing me; on InspirePilots I’d get a big USE THE SEARCH ENGINE BLAH BLAH. I’ve looked at these threads and got a bit wearisome as perhaps I was missing something. I guess in a nutshell, I was trying to see if there was some main feature that broke the umbilical cord with DJI Go/Go4 app. or avoided some of the troubleshoots with Go apps. Quite honestly, not displeased with Go/Go4, and more curious than anything so don’t waste any time on me as I will re-visit these apps again and not be so damn lazy.
Cheers to you Frank,
John

PS: I went back and looked at the 2nd thread and seems it pretty much centered around waypoints and POI’s which at this point I’m not so interested in as the photographic aspect of the drone(s). But thanks again for your efforts.
PPS: I got off of my lazy ARSE (I was given permission to use British slang LOL) and read about the app in the Apple App store and it appears fascinating. Groan, another aspect of this bloody (permission granted as well) hobby that can take more time to learn.

2 Likes

Several members have completely stopped using Go4 and use Litchi as a 100% reliable substitute.

Some like the ability to toggle tripod mode, home & course lock from the main flying screen.

Obviously it also has waypoint missions that facilitate very smooth pan/tilts whilst changing camera and drone headings, etc.

Panorama modes work on the Inspire, too.

Others use it only too save any confusion switching back and forward.

1 Like