Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom Chat

I had a quick play comparing DLog-M H.265 with H.264 under controlled conditions. For this, I put the M2P on a table and took short videos of my garden. Apart from the processing, all other camera settings were the same. My work flow in Resolve 15 was as follows:

• Apply primary grading with the Lift setting to adjust the black level to zero (no clipping)
  • Play with the Gain\Gamma so that the contrast in the final rendered image was the same (closely similar) for both videos
  • For the DLog-M file, apply DJIā€™s DLog-M to Rec709 LUT
  • Rendered both videos to H.264 in Resolve maintaining the resolution and frame rate

It took me a couple of goes to get the same contrast in the final videos, then I did several viewings to look for differences in resolution etc. To be honest, I was struggling to see any differences between the two samples. If anything, I preferred the H.264 original but this could easily be down to small differences in the contrast settings. I should add that there was little motion in the garden so I was not able to assess motion smoothness.

I think the DLog-M route certainly offers more flexibility and may have the potential to give better results via alternative rendering processes. For the above workstream, unless Iā€™m missing something, thereā€™s no obvious jump in image quality.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think there would be a change in IQ as such.
M2P advertises 14 stops of dynamic range which apparently is only available in Dlog-M.

It would be high contrast scenes such as when sun is in frame you would notice the difference and could pull more details on editing.

Same if you want to create 10bit HDR. Itā€™s the dynamic range and not IQ. But H.264 is no good for HDR.

Thatā€™s my take on it and I may be way off the mark.

For me personally I donā€™t think working with 10 bit is worth the hassle. DJI just need to supply another colour profile other than normal.

1 Like

Out of curiosity what version of resolve at you running?

:wink:

1 Like

I read the post twice and missed that both times lol.

2 Likes

I think your take on it is spot on and it is the high contrast scenes were DLog-M will show its worth. We just need to find something to render it that doesnā€™t cost a fortune

2 Likes

A bit of a concern is that there is apparently no lens correction in the DLog-M and HLG modes as opposed to the H.264 mode. See comments at about 6.10 in this discussion.

How does one correct for this?

You can correct in premiere or resolve studio.

The official line from DJI is that there is not enough resources to correct 10bit footage in camera. Working with it I can believe that now.

DLOG-M and HLG need post processing anyway so not too much of an issue to apply a lens correction at same time.

Just a shame that you need the studio version of resolve to work with 10bit H.265 video.

Ok for all the mp2 owners
Why havenā€™t we seen you post videos like this?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFZTapVR1r4&t=302s

3 Likes

Is that in Bolton Jeff???

1 Like

Noā€¦
we have great herds of wildebeest roaming the moorsā€¦

2 Likes

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

12.5km out and then back - no loss of signal - across a city - with BIG clouds in the distance!

Thereā€™s a shot of his phone/RC somewhere on the way home ā€¦ all looks
standard.

2 Likes

B***dy hell, thatā€™s impressive, especially in such an urban area

1 Like

Very impressive.

What is that in the bottom right of GO4 saying ā€œRAINā€?

1 Like

Those clouds would suggest RAIN too! Iā€™d believe the clouds first. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do you think the Asian version has weather alerts then?

2 Likes

Perhaps the current version here does. I wouldnā€™t know! :rofl:

1 Like

I should knowā€¦

I can count my flights with M2P on one hand.

Shocking really considering how excited I was at getting it :rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™ve forced myself to make some ā€˜boldā€™ flying decisions to get flight time in since I got the Zoom. Iā€™ve been surprised at how well the M2 flys in strong wind - as long as you can cope with Go4 constantly informing you that collision detection is disabled due to AC attitude and you donā€™t go too far and start the flight heading into the wind. Iā€™ve had no problems so far. Iā€™m able to fly in wind speeds on the M2 that brought the MP to a complete standstill in P mode and required Sport to get it moving when it was gusting. However I do tend to fly at 400ft most of the time.
Disclaimer - fly in strong wind at your own risk! YMMV :wink:

2 Likes

You might want to see if you can get yourself on the leader board. :wink: