Mavic Air bad camera?

Thanks for these, they look pretty ok. I’ll try the same. What distance was that from - is it just an A4 sheet?

Hove mate so not far… It’s been really gusty here, too gusty for so early on in our relationship (me and Air that is)… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, A4 sheet…

ThIs is mine

Strange, it looks like the paper wasn’t flat to the glass? If it was then there’s some pretty bad distortion there.

Can you take one so only paper occupies the image… It might be out of focus but should still show the distortion.

Ok, it’s not pretty…

Hmm, it’s not brilliant and I know, now you know that it’s not perfect, it’ll probably bug you but I do still wonder if you’ll perceive this in 99% of the videos/photos you take? Can I ask where you got yours from, was it Hobbymounts?

It will definitely bug me as you can certainly see it some pictures and video (where it can’t be corrected easily) and seems much worse than yours…

Yes got it from HobbyMounts so will call them in the morning and hopefully get it swapped out.

Thanks for your help.

No problem. I’m sure Paul will sort it for you. It’s so annoying when something like this happens, I hope all works out for you…

Blimey… It’s really noticeable in that pic, it’s like an old 1980s tv tube with slight rounded edges :cry:

Pinging @HobbyMounts in to this thread - I wonder if Paul has had any other Air camera issues reported?

… but not as bad as a GoPro … one of the main reasons I updated from my P2+H33D+GoPro3 to the MP.

Interesting … squared paper with the MP.
Top and left are square to the edge of the frame - right and bottom are not.
I need to set up a little better and try again, making sure I’m exactly square on.
Paper on wall whilst holding MP in one hand and RC in the other to take pic wasn’t probably the most scientific approach.
Don’t see any barrel distortion, though.
DJI_0027
(The curves in vertical lines at the bottom is the paper curling away from the wall.)

Have they not heard of Sellotape in your part of the world? :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

2 Likes

Masking Tape … at the top … didn’t think it would notice.
I’d put everything away an hour before I noticed, and didn’t bother doing again until I can set up with the MP sat on a table so I can get everything aligned and still, and free up my hands for a better result.

At least that is fairly even, just distorting right towards the bottom, my issue is the distortion near the middle which ruins roof lines etc as it make then curved in weird and wonderful ways.

Oh, indeed! Was making a comparison, only. :slight_smile:

OK - all set up very accurately (even taped all 4 corners! :wink: ) - even corrected a little gimbal roll error at the same time.
Actually - really impressed! … but it took quite a lot of fiddling to get everything level and centred.
Not sure my DSLR would be this good! (I chickened out from checking. LOL!)
DJI_0031

1 Like

One thing that has puzzled me … why did they ever design the camera to focus down to fewer cm than the props are in front of the camera?

That does indeed look very good! Thanks for doing that, it is very helpful.

1 Like

This is an odd one especially as I have found that the Air’s camera produces nice sharp images in the foreground and much less so in the background (which can lead to a fuzzy, muddy look which is noticeably less sharp than the Pro).