New For 2024 - The GADC Great Wall of Fame - Discussion Thread

Introducing:
The GADC Great Wall of Fame Challenge 2024

A new competition for a new year, one that will reap rewards and badges, but only for the very best.
Yes, this is a challenge set to bring out your creativity, artistry and eye for detail.

The Format:

12 rounds over the year, each round allowing 4 weeks to submit your entries.
The first round will start on the 1st of January 2024 and run for 28 days. As soon as it ends, the next round will start on the 29th January and so on. The exception will be for a break around July/August for a certain Birthday Celebration!!!
At the end of each round a poll will be opened to decide 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
The top three from each round will be entered into another final poll at the end of the year, where another round of voting will be opened to decide the top three pictures for the year.

The Rules of Entry:

Entry is open to all forum members and associates.
You can submit up to 3 entries in each round, the subject or theme is entirely up to you.
All entries must be taken in the timeframe for that round and not be published anywhere else or entered for any other competition BEFORE this one. In other words, we want you to take the photos especially for us.
Entries must clearly be from a drone in flight.
No swaps, once you have posted an entry, it stays. So, please make sure the picture you’re about to upload is the correct one, as it will NOT be changed.
Editing is confined to colour, exposure and cropping. Absolutely no removal or addition of objects.
When making an entry please include the time, date, and drone used. Supporting evidence may be requested. Feel free to include any other useful or interesting information.
And finally, all drone flights remain the sole responsibility of the flyer. Please act responsibly and remain within your countries or regions laws at all times.

Rules for Voting:

Voting is open to all forum members and associates, entrants or otherwise.
Each voter will be allowed up to three votes in each round.
In the event of any ties, another round of voting will be opened. In this event each voter shall have only one vote to cast.
Do not vote for your own entry, doing so will result in its disqualification.
Voting will be open for 14 days, after which, the poll will automaticaly close
All votes will be hidden until the end of the poll.
Once the poll has been opened it can not be edited, changed, or modified. The forum software does not allow it, regardless of how high up the chain of command you are. Therefore we are hoping some of the ChallCom and Moderation Teams can also take part if they wish.

The Rewards:

The top 3 placings from each round will be awarded GWoF Gold R1, GWoF Silver R1, GWoF Bronze R1 and so on.
The winners from each round will have their entry placed in the newly created GWoF Challenge Gallery.
At the end of 12 rounds, the 36 winners will be entered into a super-poll where the top 3 entries will have their work entered into the GWoF Winners Enclosure and be granted unique 2024 Wall of Fame badges.

To give you all an idea of the standard we are aiming for, please have a look at the
Photographic Order of Merit

@group-challenges

6 Likes

Just to clarify.

Does that mean any other external competition or any other competition full stop, including other GADC ones.

Therefore creating unique images for this and not using them for the RTF etc.

Look forward to seeing the images.

"Does that mean any other external competition or any other competition full stop, including other GADC ones.

Therefore creating unique images for this and not using them for the RTF etc."

Correct on both counts :+1:

Think I’ll sit this one out :grinning:

Why? You’re creative enough to get bits of crappy plastic to bend to your will, I’m sure you can come up with some interesting ideas for photos?

For everyone else, please feel free to discuss in this thread

1 Like

I’m well aware that my artistic skills are rather lacking. I’m OK with the birthday challenge stuff of research, travelling, recording the object etc. but I look at some of quite literally outstanding images that other members post and just admire them in awe
I’m looking forward to seeing what this challenge brings
Good on ya lads and lassies :clap::clap:

1 Like

Rules have been changed slightly, they are of course your pictures and you can publish them wherever you like. Just please enter them in the challenge thread BEFORE anywhere else.

1 Like

Round One is Open For Entries

Sounds good, think I might have to get the air 2s out if moth balls once I’ve finished the damn bathroom :rofl:

Well, what a spectacular failure :rofl:

Would like your input guys n gals. Bad weather, too many challenges, to many photo orientated challenges? Should we include videos, 360s and tiny planets?
Or will we let this one die a slow, quiet and horrible death?

What do YOU guys want to see? More challenges? Less? What format?

@group-challenges

Relaunch in April :thinking: :thinking:

I’ll hold my hand up and say I totally forgot about this. The weather hasn’t really helped though. April might be an idea :+1:

Weather has been a big factor in my non participation of late, here in Blackpool we always seem to get battered by the wind and rain in winter, puts me off venturing out.

I’d suggest shortening it for summer months but that might then interfere with the annual Birthday challenge.

Personally speaking, when the weather is good I think the RTF are enough to keep most people going.

It has affected both this and the RTF - the weather is against us :frowning:

Last year the Calendar Challenge ran concurrent with the RTF (and the Birthday Challenge) and succeeded although, at times it seemed to be a fairly close run thing - last day of the month and only a couple of entries.

There are 21619 users on the members list as of 12:30 02/02/2024. RTF attracts a core of maybe 20 not all of whom compete in each round. Even the Birthday Challenge, with a £200 top prize attracts less than thirty. I do believe, however, that there are many more who observe but, for whatever reason, don’t take part.

Given continual perfect flying weather, unlimited leisure time, no other commitments and prize-winning subjects on one’s doorstep participation in competitions would be easy. The real world however … :frowning:

I have thought that more advertising banners would help, especially toward the closing dates of challenges and, although it would be even more work for the volunteers of the Chalenges Committee, more “advertorial” in various posts in non-challenge threads. Perhaps an invitation to new members to try a challenge would help, along with the welcome and introduction to Drone Scene and Good 2 Go that is standard nowadays.

On behalf of all sieve-brained idiots, I agree.

The weather this month has been absolutely abysmal, so opportunities have been few and far between. But I also have a recurring problem where I read about a new challenge when it comes along and think it’s an excellent idea, but promptly forget it exists until the closing date. Maybe I need to start putting reminders in my calendar or something.

1 Like

Wow!

The thinking behind this one was to run it as a year long comp, and not just the good weather months. I suppose with the same purpose as the RTF, to get people out in all weathers and conditions, get them to push themselves, their kit, and hopefully drive their photography skills. Was worth a try, but maybe just a step too far.

Hmmm January weather definitely was a factor though. I know I didn’t get much chance of getting the drone out of its bag. However February looks much better, been out a few days now. Is there one for February or has the GADC Comm knocked the idea on the head ? :wink::wink:

I’d make an effort to get out in February

I managed a coupe of January flights, but took only video footage rather than photos…, so to enter the competition just wasnt possible, unless I had saved a screen capture, which goes against the grain for me… Sorry guys, if you ran a concurrent video contest then I would be all over it…