Old Drone Sprog from Staffordshire

HI, New to drone flying and still getting to grips with rules, regulations, restrictions and controls for my new DJI Spark.
I say new, Ive had it since July 18 and for the first time, I actually sat down and read all the instructions, forums and related web sites before i had the balls to actually take it to the air.
The only place near me is the local park with two football fields which are unused during school term. Unfortunately, shortly after my first couple of flights, the school summer break started and made it impossible to fly there. so I had to wait 6 weeks before i could get some practice in again.
I decided to get the Spark because it had some of the best reviews for beginners like myself and I have to say I’m really impressed at how easy it is to fly and the picture quality for a 1080p camera.
On saying that I’m still apprehensive when it gains some altitude but I’m getting there.
Now I’m looking for some new locations to try my hand at some arial photography. I live near to Cannock Chase, which is stunning, especially in autumn.
The public areas near to the Chase centre and war cemeteries, have great open spaces for my limited piloting skills, with fairly flat and low foliage for landing and take off. But these areas can be busy and, to be honest I’m a little uncomfortable flying near the cemeteries where people would not want the whine of a drone nearby.
So I’m struggling to find a quiet, open flat area on the Chase.
Anyone who is local to my area and can suggest any suitable places in or near the chase I would be grateful?
Thanks for this site, it looks like its going to be very useful in the future.

6 Likes

Hi Harry, and welcome to GADC.

Plenty of Spark owners here - so always feel free to ask any questions.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members. This is a relatively new feature so not everyone is on there as yet, and I’m sure there are far more members in your neck of the woods that will come and say Hi … and hopefully have local knowledge to help with places to fly.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map : Members’ Location Map - A Guide)

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown that might be of assistance.:

1 Like

A big Welcome to “Old Farts United Forum” !, glad you could join “The Gang” pull up a armchair, “pop the pipe in” !, take your “Winecarnis”, roll down the “long johns” , and join the Boys (n Gals) in a lot of friendly chit chat, advice, recommendations ,and all that baloney !.
Great to have you here on GADC, Harry !
(Oh!, and don’t be frightened to ask anything, we know a lot, but , not all, and collectively you have some of the best drone minds in the UK, if not THE BEST !!) :trumpet:

2 Likes

Hi Harry and welcome
There is a bit of a project we have going on that maybe of interest for your area and an incentive to get out there to fly please check it out

2 Likes

Hi, fellow spark pilot here, wellcome!. Just like your good self I’m a new drone operator that purchased the dji spark in July. This forum is a must for all drone operators!. I don’t live near you but as others have said check out the where to fly section it’s very informative. The spark is an amazing bit of tech that can do so much, you will slowly gain more confidence and will be soaring as high as a kite well ( at least 120m) lol. I’m using the spark fly more combo with an iPad mini 3 and .OTG cable, happy flying buddy!

2 Likes

Hi @azzarh and welcome to Grey Arrows!

You speak for yourself mate, I’m over here in the Young Farts wing! :rofl:

Ok, that doesn’t sound much better :blush:

1 Like

Na Rich !, it’s just that ours are watery and yours are probably high pitched !! :wink:

1 Like

I’ve just purchased the Spark and i live in Cannock too buddy, a few of us popping up now and just had a meet last Sunday by the visitor centre

1 Like