Parrot disco for £299 anyone?

Wouldn’t it be cool “theoretically” if you could send the disco on a 8 mile waypoint mission along the coast, 4 there 4 back.
It would lose video signal at 1mile but maintain telemetry for over 2 miles.
The rest of the way the RF-V16 would be showing you speed and location.
If wind was say 18mph it would probably take a lot longer than expected but land with something like 56% battery remaining.

You would need a lot of spotters though :wink:

I bloody love this drone!

2 Likes

That sounds an awesome idea, is there no way to do this at all in the U.K.? I think you could in the Channel Islands right? I was thinking you would have to sit nervously awaiting reappearance but you are right about using the GPS tracker to see how the flight is going. All theoretical obviously

This is how the disco handles a circular auto landing in 20mph wind.

Excuse the sound, no time to edit and think wind noise adds to it.

Reminds me of an Avro Vulcan in the air.

2 Likes

Bloody hell!!!

Was that completely ‘hands-off’? It did that entire sequence itself and in that high a wind??

Hmmmm… :thinking:

Nope.

Not buying one.

Skint this month - that’s probably my only excuse though, these things look like serious fun :rofl:

LOL :smiley:

Yep. That was it making it’s way home from a waypoint mission. Completely hands off.

Quite impressive to see.

Hmmm…

“Hmmm” that means you’re gonna get one. :fist_right:

OK last video for now.

My 2 landings today.
First was the circular auto landing in the video I posted. Second me attempting a manual approach and hitting land at last minute but came in too low, fast and lucky the ground dropped away at what would have been point of impact. Didn’t realise disabling geofencing for longer flights also affected minimum altitude.

I think I prefer the circular landing. It uses its pitot tube to land into the wind giving you higher airspeed over the wing for more lift and lower ground speed at landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFkfCpdhSo

1 Like

That would be nuts. Very intense as well. Love it.
I desperately need to get out with mine.
Have big plans for mine this year.

It’s going to have Rc and aircraft antenna mods and battery mid to boot for some cross country missions. Will need quite a few spotters for what I’ve got planned. Thinking over water would be a good one

1 Like

Going over the footage of my flight yesterday the focus is better but still not perfect.

Got on to Amazon live chat and they have shipped me out another disco.

Have just to send old one back at my leisure within 30 days.

Gotta love Amazon customer service.

2 Likes

Nice one mate!

I know Amazon sometimes cost more than others but their returns service is second to none, even more so if you’re on Prime as the replacment arrives the very next day :+1:

Off topic but a little story of my experience with Amazon.
A while ago I bought the girlfriend a new Samsung S5 for her xmas was about £450 and insured with a 3rd party.
She dropped the phone after 9 months and cracked the screen. Insurance wanted a receipt with IMEI which Amazon do not have.

On to live chat, explained the situation and asked if they could give me a receipt with IMEI.

Was gobsmacked by the reply.

Something like, " Do not worry about insurance, I have refunded full amount to your card and created a return label. Please return the damaged phone within 30 days"

From that moment on I use Amazon for almost everything.

2 Likes

Can’t argue with that fella

1 Like

Couldn’t resist, pushed button on last Amazon 299 one yesterday. Looks great fun. :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome to the club mate :rofl:

You wont regret it - congratulations! Please post your maiden video and grin factor.

1 Like

Wahoo another member of the sect! Welcome aboard

Lol might as well call this forum the disco club now. I’ve got a couple of missions planned for mine this week. Enjoy!!

@Ashmav

One thing I found with waypoints is watch out if it’s windy and your flying in a tight location.

If the wind blows it off slightly and it doesn’t exactly hit it’s waypoint it circles around to hit it then continues to next.

It was really windy and i had altitude set high so probably not an issue in normal conditions.

Could catch someone out if they were flying through a valley or between structures.

The waypoints are great though. I was getting a bit (very) nervous as had been gone so long but seeing it reappear and land was a bit of a buzz.

1 Like