River Hamble - Added to Coastal Scenery in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

This was flown from the Warsash side of the river. There are two car parks in Warsash, both free. The one on Shore road is by the water's edge so is often full, just do another circuit of the one wat system and go into Passage Lane car park instead. To the side of the public conveniences in the north west corner is a footpath which runs north to the ferry that crosses to Hamble and further north along the river bank into the Nature reserve.

If you do manage to park in Shore Road then head south to the open space between the sailing club and the nautical college. The foreshore along the river is Crown estate property so drone-friendly, the land, where not private is either Fareham Borough or Hampshire County Council managed.

It's twenty years since I installed tills at the Rising Sun in Shore Road but it still has a good reputation (on Google at least) so either get in there for a meal and a drink or grab an ice cream from the van in the car park

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 21/09/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

8 Likes

Excellent, I was at Warsash Nautical College in 1972 and sailed up there in 2014. Good to see your pan. As Cadets we were not allowed to go to the Rising Sun even though we were over 18 So we sailed across to the Bugle. :grin:

1 Like

@macspite thank you again for adding another location to the DroneScene map.

Hi, I was going to fly this this week but it is now covered by a flight restriction according to Drone Assist.

I’m not seeing any airspace restrictions in this area @Joyboy ? :thinking:

1 Like

This covers the area you have indicated. I am pretty new to this and was recommended Drone Assist to help with identifying areas to fly from, so far it seems o can’t fly it anywhere :rofl:

Sorry, slightly confused here.

Did you click on the Drone Scene link for this location?

You’ll see there are no airspace restrictions there.

That app in your screen shot appears to be showing Class D airspace.

Try this: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - River Hamble - Coastal Scenery in South East

1 Like

I found the original post through Drone scene. Then I went and opened up Drone Assist an app I was recommended to see whether I was flying in a restricted airspace. I opened the app and indeed it said I would be flying in a restricted air space and therefore couldnt. So utterly confused i didn’t bother going. Like I said I am new to this and using apps and info provided by the school I went to.

As I understand to fly in a cat D for a 7 to 20kg drone I would need permission?

To fly in a cat D air space I was told you need to contact National Air Traffic Control Services (NATS) for permission…welcome to my utter confusion.

Assuming you’re flying a Mavic Mini (based on your profile) and flying within the realms of the Drone Code, you can safely ignore Class D airspace as it doesn’t apply to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Out of interest what are you flying that weighs over 7 kilograms?

BTW Drone Assist uses information from Altitude Angel. So does Drone Scene so there is nothing to choose between them in that respect. But DA doesn’t give Crown Estate or National Trust information nor does it say anything on each local council’s bylaws. It also doesn’t have recommendations from people who have actually flown the sites. Drone Scene does.

3 Likes

Ah okay, I am not and reiterated this to my instructor but he still advised against flying it there. Like I said I am new and it’s all pretty confusing. I just want to fly it safely and within the law. Maybe I’ll take up a different hobby :rofl::rofl:

You are right in being cautious. But the site is fine for your standard hobbyist drone. I used a Mavic Air to fly and create the 360 pano that illustratesthe Drone Scene entry.

It was a pleasant, sunny afternoon with people wandering along the footpath. I was dressed normally, no hi-viz proclaiming me to be a UAV pilot or similar. No one took any notice other than a casual glance at me.

Look confident, you have every right to be there. The irregular areas coloured magenta on the Drone Scene map indicate land belonging to the Crown Estates who are happy for you to fly a drone over their property as long as you follow the drone code. You are well away from the exclusion zones for Southampton Airport to the north west or Daedalus (Now Solent Airport I believe) and Fleetlands to the south and east.

With you Mini you have a great deal of freedom as to where you can fly… Another GADC developed app Good 2 Go will allow you to see precisely where you can fly and what separation distances you need to maintain for a range of aircraft both below 250 grams and up to 25 kilograms in a range of scenarios.

Check the Mini then see what restrictions apply to a heavier UAV like an Air2. You will see how much you can legally get away with flying your Mini!

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies, they are very helpful. I appreciate your time, kind regards jonathan

2 Likes

I’ve flown here too @macspite :grin:

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @macspite :grin:

@macspite Hi there chap , I am quite new to flying drones and have flown here three times. Do you know of any where else nearby that is good please