RTF Competition 6h February to 19th - HEAVY METAL - Winners Announced!

Ain’t that the truth.

RTFRules :slight_smile:

St Aidan’s BE 1150 Walking Dragline Excavator

This is the oldest surviving machine of its type in Europe. Built in Milwaukee in 1946, it was shipped over to the UK in 1954, where it toured various open cast coal mines before finally arriving at St. Aidan’s (near Castleford, West Yorkshire) in 1972. The site flooded in 1988 and was out of commission for 10 years. The excavator never saw active service again and was moved to its final resting place in 1999.

Oh, yes. 1,200 tons.

Taken 11 February 2022, 10:08 with the DJI Mavic Mini

9 Likes

RTFRTFR! :laughing:

Awesome !

◦ Location: Avonmouth Docks, Bristol
◦ Time and date: 12/02/2022 @ 16:30
◦ Aircraft/camera used: DJI Mini 2
◦ Drone Scene: Link

“Due to numerous geographic and tidal restrictions along the River Avon, the Avonmouth Docks Co. was formed to build the new docks at Avonmouth. The new docks, now called Avonmouth Old Dock, were opened in 1877, together with the supporting Bristol Port Railway and Pier.[5] The BPRP was built and held via a separate sister company, running north for 5.75 miles (9.25 km) from Hotwells (originally called Clifton), northwards to west of Bristol city centre between the Clifton Suspension Bridge and Bridge Valley Road along the Avon Gorge, to a pier terminus at Avonmouth.”

Map showing Avonmouth Docks in 1914 (not an entry!):

Entry below, photo of Royal Edward Dock at Avonmouth Docks, in the background are both Severn Bridges.

7 Likes

About 3 miles from where I was born, we used to go swimming in the open cast mines long before the nanny state took over.

1 Like

◦ Location: Avonmouth Docks, Bristol
◦ Time and date: 12/02/2022 @ 16:30
◦ Aircraft/camera used: DJI Mini 2
◦ Drone Scene: Link

7 Likes

Heavy Metal down on the farm.

3 Likes

Were you holding the drone @MA2flyer ? :rofl:

Shouldn’t that be, “…all Severn Bridges”? :laughing:

Having just re-read the rules for this competition I’m quite willing to have it removed as it was not taken by drone - sorry for my error.

1 Like

The subject for the next RTF needs to be chosen!

The poll is open from now until 22:00 next Saturday

3 Likes

Lighthouse Seaburn Cliffs
13/02/22 Mavic air2
A lighthouse ! … is Sandbagger losing his marbles… Heavy Metal ?
Well this lighthouse is one of a handful of remaining cast iron built lighthouses , it was built in 1856 and stood on the old south pier that you can see in the distance, the base is cast iron on top of which stands a rivetted steel conical tower topped by a cast iron dome light section with railings, internally a cast iron spiral staircase provided access to the top of the 50 foot high structure. The south pier started to crumble and was shortened in 1983 by Sunderland Port Authority to make river access easier and safer as a result the lighthouse was dismantled and re-erected on the nearby Seaburn cliffs.

6 Likes

I think I’ve mentioned previously that sometimes I get an idea in my head and my brain won’t let me rest until I’ve followed it through. Well, this is one of those. :roll_eyes:

(source - this is a deliberate text link to an image that I do not want to show inline :wink:)

Clearly, this is not an entry. :grin:

Also, it turns out that underneath the glamorous exterior, the dolly is a bit of a dickhead. :laughing:

1 Like

Not An Entry ….this is a mobile phone image of my 2nd subject option but too windy too fly ……more here Boris Johnson in a Big Metal Bucket

1 Like

Not sure if there is a thread where this message should go …just thought this is a popular one and most people might see it , just wanted to say take care everybody especially those folks in the red and amber alert zones, stay safe

3 Likes

This one maybe? :grin:

Aggregate haulage

Taken at GRS Rail head Wellingborough NN8 4BH
On 17/02/2022 @ 21:10pm
With DJI AIR 2s

Open Box Wagon
101.6t GLW high capacity open box wagons built using recycled materials from disused coal hoppers
Tare weight 23.8 tonnes
Carrying capacity 77.8 tonnes
Height 3.3m
Speed 60mph landen 75 mph tare

It seams like the only time its GTF (Good to Fly) is at night when the wind is not so bad.

5 Likes

Next competition announced!