RTF Competition February 26th to March 11th - Long Shadows - Winners Announced

A lone tree between 2 fields in Seale, Surrey

DJI mini 2
1/320 second ss, @f2.8 , ISO: 100
Date: 26/2/2023 10:12

9 Likes

@clinkadink How weird. I gave Stonehenge as an example to the missus when I was explaining the long shadow thing! We were walking in our local NT contemplating ignoring their rule and taking a shot very early am from a remote part of their estate, before the staff arrive. :scream:

Agreed!

PICNIC and PEBKAC errors were also prevalent in ours!

Need some sun again :sob:

1 Like

Needs a little more picture too.

I had a brief period of sunshine this morning, so drove half an hour to a location I had in mind for this, unpacked the drone, then realised I’d forgotten the bloody SD card :roll_eyes:

Then the clouds arrived :confused:

Mini 2 selfie long (compared to size of Mini 2) shadow with bonus garden lighting. Taken in flight, as low as it can go without landing and led torch providing the shadow. Not that windy but it was blowing in random directions at ground level so Twoie was wobblier than I hoped for.

2 Likes

I would like to call this one Long Shadow as its more like Short Shadow.
I had a short period of time to go out and get a picture today when the sun was too high to lengthen the shadow - at the moment I have to be home to look after my wife due to her recent fall and suffering quite a large break to her upper arm.
I shall try again as the wife improves hoping the sun will make further appearances.

Location: Nettleden - *Date + time:2nd March-1400hours - Mini 3 pro

*Date now reset from 1st to 2nd March on DJI RC

5 Likes

I had that today? File date on card said the 1st Mar when I downloaded the shots I took today onto PC?

Hadrians Arch, Shugborough National Trust Estate, Staffordshire
Taken 2 Mar 2023 at 1513hrs with DJI mini 3 Pro.
5 x DNG Bracketed and merged/edited in LRC.
ISO 100

The monument lies in the grounds of Shugborough Hall. It was constructed in 1765 and is a copy of Hadrian’s Arch in Athens. It commemorates Admiral Anson. He is noted for his circumnavigation of the globe and his role in overseeing the Royal Navy during the Seven Years’ War. It is located in open pasture on the South West side of the Estate close to the A513.

9 Likes

Walkers on Blackpool Beach

Screenshot from video, DJI Air 2, 7/3/23 at around 17:30

7 Likes

As we are a bit short of photo opportunities this comp I’d thought I’d add this one
Taken 7th Mar 23 at National Memorial Arboretum.
Taken with mini 3 Pro at 4.30ish.
ISO 100 5 X aeb DNGs edited in PS Camera RAW then lightroom Classic.

The National Memorial Arboretum is a British site of national remembrance at Alrewas, near Lichfield, Staffordshire. Its objective is to honour the fallen, recognise service and sacrifice, and foster pride in the British Armed Forces and civilian community.

A general view of the memorial, which commemorates service men and women killed since 1945. The two curved walls and two straight walls are made from bricks covered with Portland stone panels. At the centre of the Memorial are two bronze sculptures created by Ian Rank-Broadley. This memorial remembers over 16000 people who has been killed or sacrificed their lives while on duty or targeted by terrorists or they died on operational theatre for us. Their names have been written in a panel for us to remember their significance in the Armed Forces.

8 Likes

Great shot, I have been meaning to go to this place for a long time :clap:t4:
would love to know where yo took off from if that’s ok

1 Like

Your the second that’s asked me that. I’ll put a DS entry in as it seems popular. This is a link to my answer to @firstadekit Ade’s question.

In drone scene now.

I’m digging the shadows LP out the loft, will be as close as I’m getting too an entry, unless by miracle something happens weather wise before tomorrow :thinking: hmmmm doubt it !

Entry for Long Shadows

Harringworth Viaduct

The viaduct, which crosses both the Welland Valley and its flood plain was designed by William Henry Barlow

The viaduct is 1,275 yards (1.166 km) long and has 82 arches, each with a 40 feet (12 m) span. It is the longest masonry viaduct across a valley in the United Kingdom.A total of 30 million bricks were used in the viaduct’s construction.Completed during 1878, it has since become a Grade II listed building.

7 Likes

Nice one Jason ,‘the’ definition of long shadows by a mile! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Pleased to have managed a last minute entry especially as I was fortunate the sun made a brief appearance once the drone was in the air, I flew from an outside area to reach the monument as it is on National Trust Land etc etc. This is my entry.

The Bridgewater Monument is a Grade II* listed monumental column in the Ashridge estate in Hertfordshire, England. It was built in 1832 to commemorate Francis Egerton, 3rd Duke of Bridgewater, known as the “Canal Duke”. Wikipedia

3 Likes

Edit: Bridgewater Monument above -

Taken 11th March 08-58-2023 - DJI Mavic3 pro