South East England Meet-up | Sunday 22rd Oct | Knockholt

Bring Grey Arrows name badge,
Bring Grey Arrows new pins.
Bring tea, coffee and maybe something better if not driving.
Bring snacks.
Bring batteries.
Bring spares!
Bring a chair!

This involves a navigating a gate and a 8 min uphill walk.

The location was voted top - balances the camera drones, FPV drones and accessibility.
Perfect is the enemy of good. No offence taken if people want to set-up a meet-up on same day in one of the alternative locations. I am still researching locations, have a few lined up when weather is better. (Can you beat the current top two locations for South East ?)

May be the last meet-up until the weather improves.
Knock_Sunday
Knock_Sat

Everyone welcome. FPV’er, Camera Drones or even people who not got a drone yet. No drone police, but do not be an arsehole rule applies.

It is a popular spot for drones and there maybe other drone/wing flyers who are not necessary there for the grey arrow meeting. However @RestlessZombi and I found them a friendly bunch. (We even recruited @nicesub to the club)

Parking Location: ///nearly.boxing.fruit what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location

This is a lay-by on the main road. Free at weekend (Parking at your own risk)

The gate is opposite parking what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location

Plan be at this location…

The walk is simple.

I will put a flag up when I get there - but no other signage or cardboard sign with an arrows. Note the exact location rugs.books.soda may move - but wondering around looking lost or posting in this thread will get everyone to the right place. I aim to be there at around 1000. Others may be earlier or later. Very informal.

Pinging @Swifthalf @BadManners @Stewrat @deltawhisky @Maxpower @nicesub @dr00min @RestlessZombi @grandad1950 @jedpause @Badly_Drone_Boy @DrDave @ANDMUL @Riccar @doctormako @swifthalf @MrE2E

@group-southeast

Possible Attendance
  • Come rain or shine, I will be there
  • Fair weather and a fair wind, I will be there
  • If the stars align, I might just make it
  • Alas, something more important than drone flying (WTF??)
  • Sorry, I’m an arsehole ( :wink: )
0 voters

Disclaimer: If weather is really terrible I may forgo the hours drive and there will be no flag.

1 Like

Why is there no option on the poll for “I’d like to come but it’s a wee bit far from the Portsmouth area to come on my electric bikes, unless I can blag a lift, I’m out.”

I’m sorry I can’t make this Sunday. But enjoy.

I never make these events so just booked a hire car so I can get over there.
Travelling from Bournemouth so depending on how deep into Portsmouth you are, I could possibly make a stop on the way. Message me if you’re happy to take a lift with some guy on the internet you never met :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the offer Tommy, I didn’t expect anyone to respond. As for strangers on the net, if you are a member here you have already established a certain level of trust and have at least one mutual interest even though we have never met.

I’m buried way too deep at the bottom left of Hayling Island, so I won’t be taking you up on your generous offer as it will take you an hour and a half off your route if you are intending to use the A35 / M27 / A3.

Not wishing to put a dampener on Sunday’s proceedings but I have just checked the forecast for Sunday at Knockholt and it’s flyable but with 10m/s gusts at 20 metres which isn’t ideal for my type of flying :frowning:

So thanks for the offer but I think I’ll stay home and walk the dog! :slight_smile:

No worries. And yeh, I checked the forecast before booking a car, there’s a 2-3 hour period through midday that looks like it’ll be ever so slightly too much for lighter drones. Just ordered a Mamba stack so I can hopefully get a heavier 5" put together in time; be interesting learning to fly it in those winds!

Same offer to anyone else that wants to travel up from South-West (and can make a case for it not being too far off the Bournemouth → Knockholt route). I have 2 seats left (picking someone else up from New Addington which is just 20 mins from dest).

Wow lets home for good weather.

Another day is there a good place for @smudge202 and @macspite nearer to both of you for a meet-up ? - I’d travel and there are a few south-coast flyer.

I have put plenty of places near me on Drone Scene but they are all for individual flyers, none seem suitable for a meet.

I suppose we are looking for:

Somewhere easy to get to by major roads / close to a mainline rail station / with a good bus service

Facilities such as cafe and toilets nearby.

Plenty of space, not overrun by walkers, joggers, cyclists, footballers, horse riders etc.

Suitable for FPV with natural hazards as well as gates brought to site.

Plenty of space for wings and space for VLOS for all aircraft.

A try-out area for each other’s drones and for tuition.

Plenty of seating

Many subjects of interest for photographers.

Somewhere warm to carry on chatting after dark.

Nearby town with multiple attractions for bored non-flyers to visit

Short, well-kept grass for landing

No, can’t think of anywhere at the moment! :frowning:

Not necessary - bring flasks.

Suitable for FPV with natural hazards as well as gates brought to site.

Not necessary - open area is fine.

A try-out area for each other’s drones and for tuition.

Not necessary - we not used a separate area.

Plenty of seating

Not necessary - everyone tends to bring a seat.

Many subjects of interest for photographers.

Not necessary - open area is fine.

Somewhere warm to carry on chatting after dark.

Not necessary - can just be an afternoon.

Nearby town with multiple attractions for bored non-flyers to visit

Not necessary - non-flyers can just chat.

Dont make perfect the enemy of good. Honestly, I found its the people that make the meet-up there is no ideal location as it would be too busy. My 2p.

Broadmarsh Coastal Park Havant could a location ?

[quote=“bmsleight, post:9, topic:69514, full:true”]

Not necessary - bring flasks.

I’m none too happy urinating or defecating in a flask … :slight_smile:

The list above was for an ideal location. I’m aware that finding it might be difficult and we might have to accept second best …

It’s a possibility depending on the number that turn up. There’s a hedge-enclosed field, another smaller area with a cinder surface, tidal water and a photogenic sewage works that will probably be discharging illegally into the harbour!

Accessible from the west by A35 / M27, from the Midlands A34 / M3 /M27, from Brighton via A27 and from London and Beyond to J10 M25 and an hour down the A3. Havant station 10 minutes away, all Waterloo to Portsmouth trains stop there. Tesco supermarket nearby for food.

Looks like I may be hosting a meet once I’m pronounced fit to drive!

There’s tonnes of open fields here and there; mostly a case of finding someone down this way to organise it I’m sure. The last couple SW meetups I think I looked up were up towards Bristol which is actually more of a pain to drive than Knockholt, so happy to gatecrash your neck of the woods if you don’t mind the extra couple people :slight_smile:

I am a photographer rather than a FPV but enjoyed the one meet up I went to so far, even though I live in south sussex. Is it worth revisiting the drone Scene map of places to fly, could we build up a short list of South East locations to try. Would it be possible to superimpose the members map to the places to fly map to hone in an area to focus on ?.
There is a strong focus on East London / north kent, where else could we try. South Downs, Chichester, Winchester …
I have no proposals but does anyone else have any thoughts

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@bmsleight Hi Brendon, I can’t make it this weekend, just arrived back from holiday. Hopefully I’ll make the next one. Have fun with your new digital set up, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for good weather for you and the group. :crossed_fingers:

Sunny intervals ?

Setting off shortly (unless someone posts in next 10 mins saying not to bother for some reason).

Weather app says flying conditions should be ok but we’ll see I guess - should be there by 12:30 (apologies for lateness - got up early to try finish a 5" drone but didn’t manage it and lost track of time :sweat_smile: )

See anyone that makes it in a bit!

Weather looking great.
I just parked…
I did the opposite got here early traffic was free flowing.

Weather successfully ordered.

Flag location: ///studio.winter.attend

1 Like

Daniel’s wing worked

Noice. Running 20 mins late due to traffic. What weather!