The development of Drone Scene continues!

same on Edge, they all vanish.

An “issue” with filters is being - investigated.

Edit: Now fixed.

4 Likes

another quick one, might just be me.
if using the measuring tool how do you then come off of the measuring? cant seen to get rid of it and end doing a massive dot-to-dot picture all over the UK. :sob:

solved: click back on the tool. :+1:t2: sorry blonde moment.

1 Like

That was all explained when the feature was introduced.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, missed that bit in the OP :ok_hand:

Excellent work…:+1:

Excellent idea, will add it to the list :+1:t2:

Bug fixed - sorry about that :grimacing:

3 Likes

@Mind_the_gap I didn’t want to pull your Ashridge House thread off topic, so I’ll ask over here :slight_smile:

I’m curious…

Can I ask why? :thinking:

Does the DJI Fly app offer you some insight something that Drone Scene doesn’t?

As you know, we’re always looking to improve it so any feedback you can offer would be great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course you can.

Even though I have been flying for over two years, I will have to admit, that I do get a bit worried about doing things right. I work in cyber security and I do know how this devices record everything you do on them, so I check what it is available so I do not break the law and I can get into trouble.

On top of that I am fairly new to dronescene, and even though you guys are doing an amazing job on it, I see differences between, those two. If I also look at other offerings that I have used in the past, like Drone Assist app, it provides a different story altogether.

It picks it up as red zone and makes me thing that it might not be allowed to fly on it.

1 Like

Drone Scene will combine data from DJI, from Drone Assist, and lots of other places.

I think you just need to turn on some extra layers in Drone Scene:

:thinking:

Try the Layers button in the top right corner:

1 Like

So the class d zone layer is what in Drone Assist is marked as CTR. Making it in red makes it very configuring indeed. Also calling it CTR instead of zone D also it is confusing.

I do like what you guys are doing in dronescene. Like I said earlier, it is me been. A worry wa**er.

A good local example. I live near 2 nuclear power stations at Heysham. Looking at DJI’s zoning, I could fly my Mini not far from their front doors. I’m sensible enough to know that would not be a good idea. Dronescene shows a far wider warning which, when you read, makes you aware you’re in an area that could raise suspicions.

Only time I check Fly is when dronescene warns me I’m within a dodgy area and I check Fly to see how close it would let me go.

Haven’t flown anywhere near Heysham yet.

1 Like

I think we can all agree, that DJI doesn’t not provide the most comprehensive of all maps.

2 Likes

Wow, just wow. Have only just found GADC and Drone Scene, there’s some great info and functionality, obviously a lot of hard work going on in the background. Looking forward to making use of it, and hopefully offering some contributions.
Respect and thanks :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

It’s November… That can only mean one thing!

Time to release another update to Drone Scene!

:bowing_man: :ok_man:

Octobers update, in case you missed it, can be found here.

What goodies does November’s update bring? :thinking:

• Bug fix: Logging in to Drone Scene with a different browser would log you out of all other browsers

• If you only used one browser you were fine, a cookie would be set and you’d be logged in automatically on your next visit

• However, if you then logged in on a different browser or device, you’d then be logged out of all other browsers :man_facepalming:
    – Further to the SSO login changes last month, things were made a little toooooo secure

• Bug fixed, you can log in on any number of browsers / devices and you won’t get logged out of the others

PS. You WILL need to log in again today, after which, we’ll remember you on each future visit. Promise :blush:

• Bug fix: Could not login if you weren’t on the Homepage

• Two bugs in one month?! :scream:
    – We’re slipping :pensive:

• We made a major change last month to the authentication mechanism
    – We now use SSO

• While this new feature was tested to death, it was never tested “from” any other page than the homepage :man_facepalming:

• The bug meant if you were viewing a specific location, or some other page such as the Drone Code, you couldn’t actually login from there!
    – Bug fixed, you can log in from any page

• User Experience: Return to previous page after logging in

• It’s the little things in life, right?

• Prior to today’s update, whenever you logged in you were automatically redirected to the homepage
    – Regardless of the page or location you were viewing at the point of clicking Login

• Rude

• Log in today from any page and you’ll be instantly brought back to where you were!

• User Experience: Move the details of a specific Location to be ABOVE the map

• When you view a specific location you were first presented with the map of the location and you then had to scroll down to see the details
    – Not ideal

• The map is almost secondary to the detail
    – And we should display it as such

• The page flow now becomes:
    – The location detail
    – A map, zoomed to that location marker
    – A list of recently added locations (in general)

• e.g.:

• House Keeping: Sort out the English regional mess

• We used to group “North East and Cumbria” in to a single location option
    – This was a legacy thing, it’s been like this for three years
    – It also made for a very confusing map

• We now follow the boundaries for the nine English regions
    As per this Wikipedia map

• If you spot a location marker pin in the wrong region that needs reassigning to a different regions, please click the “Report this location” link within the marker pin

• Feature: Filter the Map based on Member

• Requested by @kvetner

• You’ll now see an additional drop down list on the home page which allows you to filter the map based on Member name
    – Not only that but you can combine all four map filters and really narrow down your parameters

• Or you can click on a Member name and it will take you to a map page filtered by that member.
    – eg. Click here to view all of @kvetner’s locations

• We now also show you when you have a filter applied
    – As it wasn’t very obvious or clear before

• You can also see how many results match your filter criteria now too

• You’ll notice an Anonymous name at the top of the Member list
    – These entries pre-date our now-required logins
    – If any of them are yours and you’d like to claim ownership, please click the “Report this location” link within the marker pin and it’ll send us a message

• Feature: Make the Details box bigger when adding a Location

• Because details are important!

Bug reports, new feature requests, etc? Just shout :smiley:

7 Likes

Excellent updates! You guys deserve a rest.

And what better way to relax than to photograph a lone tree for the RTF Photo Competition :slight_smile:

And, hey - you can get extra points for adding the location to Dronescene!

4 Likes

As always, amazing work and such a great website!

3 Likes

Now we have the distance tool can a height tool be added. As I’m sweeping around looking at different locations that are safe to fly it would nice to know what height I’m seeing them from so I know what roughly to expect to capture when out in the field.

Hope this makes sense. Or just tell me to leave and never come back. :rofl:

I’m looking at this thinking can I take this shot how much am I realisticly going to squeeze in.

1 Like

Feature request: sometimes there is paragraph and similar formatting visible in the location description when a location is viewed here on the GADC forum. It’s not visible when the location text is viewed within Drone Scene. Could that be amended?

Example:

2 Likes

More fantastic updates, you should be proud of what you’ve created.

1 Like