Do i sell or keep

Quite funny that Frank !, a good friend of mine who worked in a Local well known hotel here in Norwich, has just been Appointed General Manager of Kelling Heath Holiday & Caravan Park ( his name is Andrew Shorthose)
Maybe I should pay him a visit sometime (and I will) and point out there “draconian rules” in respect of drones.
I believe they are just copying Holkham Hall’s stance on the above.

Wonder if they are doing this again this year?

3 Likes

Yes Chris it happened a couple weeks back.
Funny how they allowed that to be shot over their “Private Beach”
One rule for them…

It’s always “when it suits them”

Remember this…

And just a further update on the Wells Triathlon from last year…
Not heard a bloody thing from anyone whom I contacted at the “Wells Harbourmasters Office”, disputes all the emails, phone calls, messages etc.
RUDE BASKETS !

1 Like

That would be interesting to hear Andrew Shorthose views on it Chris, but as I said earlier if I was in charge of a campsite I would not be too worried about someone flying professional type drones like the Mavic in a responsible manner on site but where would they draw the line with other drones. My grandson has got a cheap toy drone which is quite big and looks similar to a Phantom and guaranteed to crash on every flight, I’ve tried to fly it and it is impossible to control. Maybe they should just set designated areas on site to fly like they do with ball games. Your not supposed to even fly a frisbee near the caravans😁 With the ever increasing amount of drones becoming more popular a designated area might be the way to go.

2 Likes

That Frank, is exactly what I intend to ask Andrew when I next see him.
He does make frequent trips back to his old haunt at the Hotel.
Will be interested to find out his thoughts.
He tells me that the Owners (who are now stepping down to allow Andrew to run the Park). are very old fashioned in there ways.
Anyone who thinks a Brass Band, Shantymen, Harpist, etc is fit entertainment for a holiday park, has got his head stuck up his own orifice !.
I have hinted to Andrew to allow me and my Unique Mobile Disco to come along and entertain people, it may happen ,as yet, who knows ( he has my Business Card!)
I will keep you posted.

1 Like

I’d like to underscore the comments from Firefox .
I always admire your comments because they are reasonable, factual and stand up for your rights, freedoms and responsibilities in a no nonsense approach.
It is a peculiarly British disease is the need to control others, even when those trying to do it are completely without any lawful reason, other than they’ve ‘seen it in the news/FB/Twitter’or whatever.

1 Like

Haha yes I’ve seen the band, I’ve just asked the grand kids if they enjoyed the band and they said yes, but they did get a badge each off them. Love my grand kids so easy to please😜

1 Like

Thank you for your heartfelt thoughts Brian, it is very much appreciated, believe me.
I also must say I admire the posts you have contributed over time here on GADC.
Your job sounds very interesting, but, also can, I’m sure, be very harrowing seeing the things that you do.
Great respect from me in doing what you do!.
Keep up the great work, a pint will be on the Bar, when we do meet up !, and , I hope we do get to meet sometime in the near future !.
:+1:

1 Like

I should not really shoot down the “Band” as my cousin Edmund runs the bloody thing !.
He is the musical Director of several local brass bands around, in this area.
And I always call on him to play “The Last Post” at our Remembrance Masonic Meet each November.

Yes they was quite entertaining really and sounded great, just not my type of music. I didn’t buy a CD though as they was £10 each.

Thanks, Chris. Oddly enough you’ve just reminded me to update my details. I’ve just changed jobs within the company and now I’m in the operations centre based in York…basically I’m like an air traffic controller for trains, controlling trains all over the country. So I get to sit in air conditioned splendour, have regular meal and loo breaks, watching trains on computer screens a bit like air traffic control radar except it’s in 2 dimensions.

1 Like

It’s a far cry from the days of pulling levers and ringing morse code on bells.

But at least they worked in the warm weather ;o)

Nicely said,if they were to do their research,they could probably come up with a list of permitted drones,which owners would be permitted to fly,say drone must have gps etc…Quite sure this would get some extra carravans rented out.Wish lots of sites would do this,as drone flying is here to stay :+1::+1: Government wont ban it as there would be to much uproar,and then people would just fly anyway.The technology is already out there,so no way to stop it.:rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:

2 Likes

My thoughts are that if we as drone flyers act in such a way that we are not going to let these morons preach to us “ You can’t do this, you can’t do that” then life would be a lot easier all round.
I am not saying blatantly break the law in anyway, but, the CAA have said
“They do not own the airspace over their land”
(I always carry the email that Ian received from them, wherever I fly in the Uk)
Follow the drone code, and when registration comes in October, hopefully life will be a lot easier.
So stick it out boys !, life will become easier ! ( I/we hope !)

1 Like

That’s true. But then we had an army of guys at risk, on track, placing oil on the fishplates (joints in the track) to allow the joints to expand, in extremes, they would expand too much and crush the insulator leading to track circuit failure which fooled the system into thinking a train was stood on the track, so the signals would be stuck at red. Now we have CWR (continuously welded rail) which means there are no joints. A much smoother ride, but a whole new set of problems…
The rail is actually pulled and welded together using hydraulic rams, so when the temperature is warm, the rails expand and are not under any pressure from expansion…however when the track temperature goes beyond 45 degrees, under extremes of temperature such as we have seen, they are under expansion pressure beyond what they are tensioned for, and there is a risk of the rails buckling with catastrophic results at 125mph. Conversely when it’s cold, the rails contract and they are under negative tension which results in broken rails or welds, which is safer to manage, it’s all about safe travel.

I agree. I put this point in a thread about people and organisations charging drone flyers to take photos of iconic structures etc, but folks seemed to be happy to pay a tenner or a thousand pounds in the case of certain organisations. To have someone who is not qualified to supposedly check that fliers know the drone code before issuing a receipt which acts as a permit to fly.
Admittedly the take off was from their land, but my point was that there is nothing to stop you from taking off from the public footpath and flying/filming. A lot of folks were happy to pay a charge to fly and I was concerned that more and more places would think this was ‘the norm’ and it would become legitimised by the fact that everyone starts doing it and nobody challenges it. Now we are seeing more and more places, campsites for heavens sake, banning drone flying and it’s starting to become the norm and legitimised by the fact that everyone’s is doing it.

1 Like

I’ll be honest , flying round a campsite is a little irresponsible, way too many variables.

1 Like

I agree about flying around a campsite, it would be silly, too many kiddies and variables about, but there’s nothing to say you can’t take off from public place and fly over at 50m.

1 Like