Drone Scene - Minor Updates and Bug Fixes

A thread to list and discuss the minor updates and bug fixes to Drone Scene that don’t warrant a thread of their own.

Minor bug fix rolled out today.

@Flitwick-David reported that the links in the co-ordinates and what3words link in the info balloon on the map were no longer working.

They are now :blush:

4 Likes

Hotfix patch applied today for the bug that @D0c.Col and @Kirky reported whereby location marker pins won’t stay open if they have large amounts of text in them.

They stay open now and will offer a “…more info?” link inside the popup balloon.

6 Likes

Hotfix applied this morning for Safari browsers.

When changing the basemap or turning layers on and off they weren’t being saved against your profile:

Which meant that next time you visited Drone Scene it couldn’t display the last layer-selections that you’d made.

Sorry Safari users, fixed now.

5 Likes

@PingSpike - Minor formatting bug in listing of the “Where to fly your drone” category.

Not sure if you know?

1 Like

The actual topic titles are OK - so suspect this might be a Discourse issue.

1 Like

Yes, it looks like the code for the listing is using:

listing = title + region

When it should just be title, as it already had been appended with region :man_shrugging:

Discourse knows nothing about regions. That is only a value within DS.

Once posted by DS to Discourse the topic title is the only thing that Discourse can see … and, within each topic, the title is correct.

A lot of Discourse updates were made on Saturday … and probably relates.

Indeed - that “duplication” end of the “title” in the #where-to-fly-your-drone-in-the-uk listing isn’t even clickable.

Even in default home page format … (I use “Latest”) …

1 Like

Probably a Moiré … :rofl:

Yes, it is not inside the anchor element.

<span class="link-top-line">

<a href="/t/bucklers-forest-fire-tower-added-to-everything-else-in-south-east/58925/1" role="heading" aria-level="2" class="title raw-link raw-topic-link" data-topic-id="58925">Bucklers Forest Fire Tower - Added to Everything Else in South East</a>

South East </span>

:point_up: This last line shouldn’t have ‘South East’ after the anchor and before the closing span.

1 Like

That’ll be Discourse.

1 Like

Also confirming it’s a Discourse bug are really old posts across from DS that display the duplication … and nothing has happened (DS-wise) with those posts in ages.

Only #where-to-fly-your-drone-in-the-uk posts … perhaps related to the long category name.

It’s above my paygrade to change category titles. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I know. I looked back to 2020, and saw the same.

That said, if the underlying code has changed, Dave, even in a recent update - then it will apply the same formatting to all posts … irrespective of date.

P.S. just pointing it out in case Rich is unaware.

1 Like

Precisely. And there were a shit load of updates to Discourse on Saturday.

The Discourse data for those posts is totally unchanged … since in ages.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up Chris @clinkadink - I hadn’t actually noticed it myself.

As Dave suggests, it’s a Discourse problem that came in with the updates at the weekend. Or more specifically, it’s a bug in the “Locations” plugin that we use on the forum, which was also updated during the downtime on Saturday.

The plugin author is aware of the issue, seems a few people have reported it to them, but sadly no planned fix date has been provided as yet :confused:

@clinkadink @milkmanchris this display / formatting issue has now been resolved :blush:

2 Likes

A couple of months ago @amitlathia posted a feature request:

The ability to search the Drone Scene map by point-of-interest name went live today.

Eg:

Hope it helps!

7 Likes

Couple of minor updates rolled to Drone Scene today.

• Updated the /about page for National Trust
    – It was still referencing the old “open access” and “closed access” map layers that we updated and replaced last month
    – Added a reminder that while National Trust don’t permit TOAL, it is still legal to fly over their land
    – More at: https://dronescene.co.uk/about#NationalTrust

• Moved the The Drone and Model Aircraft Code link to its own section on the /about page
    – It was just a link straight to CAA web site
    – There’s now a little preamble, and a link to CAA from there
    – More at: https://dronescene.co.uk/about#DroneCode

• Removed the Date of Birth requirement from all user profiles
    – Requested by @Bazandsara and @gaz
    – We used to ask for your DOB on your profile before you could become a member
    (Because you need to be 18 or over to become a member of GADC)
    – We have now replaced the DOB requirement with a simple tick box which asks you to confirm you are 18 or over
    – We have deleted the entire Date Of Birth column from the database
    — Thereby also permanently deleting any of your associated personal information

1 Like

Oh, no birthday card this year then?

I lied about my birthday anyway :wink: