Which video editing software

Your Mac should play MOV better than MP4 (which it will also have no hassle with), if you are sticking with Mac and using iMovoe and eventually FCPX (there is nothing to touch it on the Mac, video editing wise) then stay with MOV.

1 Like

Thanks
Sorry just rephrase when I said it was better I only tested it on my phone but I’ll stick with mov & try a bit with I movie to which I am familiar with but not

Just googled fcpx yes I’ve heard of Final Cut Pro but never used it so that’s the one to go for “ I take it “ , so I’ll take your advice & go for that one Thankyou for your advice :+1:t2:

Learn iMovie see how you get on, the basics of that will set you up for FCPX (which is available from the usual sources for you to evaluate)

1 Like

Thankyou ever so much , I will do that , many thanks.

Hi Chris
Just thought I’d let you know my Mac no longer has I movie on it I deleted it ages ago , the Mac is usually used for music but lots of room still on here , however I’m on Catalina which works well for my music but wants later version for me to install I movie again :person_facepalming:t2: Can’t really update the Mac as the music folder hates the update lol.I know I can’t have the best of both worlds , so I’m wondering what my option would be so I don’t mess up my music but can still edit , tall order I know but I didn’t think I’d have to use a plan B , oh dear and my apologies any thoughts welcome , the Mac in the software updates actually says there is no updates which I find very strange as I no there is later than Catalina hmmm can’t work that out , was going to take the gamble but says no updates , very strange :thinking:
Best regards

Hi Kirby.
You should research using a dual boot system on your Mac. I can run Catalina or Monterey on mine.
Chris

1 Like

Thankyou yes unfortunately I’m not on the up take when it comes to tech .
Thanks

https://www.reddit.com/r/iMovie/comments/rc4d4o/how_to_get_imovie_on_macos_catalina_on_version/

Would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for freebie movie editing software for PC or IpadOS for casual use?

Is there a must have app or piece of software?

What do you use?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
David

Moved your post to this thread that (hopefully) has all the information you need. :+1:

Other suggestions may be forthcoming, too.

https://www.videoproc.com/video-editing-software

Enjoy :+1:

I use Movavi 2020. Very easy to use and the results have been fantastic.

Thanks for the helpful move and suggestions all, will check them out

I use LumaFusion on an iPad Pro and it does nearly everything I want. Audio Scrubbing is all that is missing.:+1:

Hi
I moved from iMovie to DaVinci Resolve the free version is amazing but Final cut is awesome to but obviously not free.

when coming from a stills background to video it’s important to remember that compressed video formats (that 99% of drones shoot with) are like working with JPEGs so you need to nail the exposure as you shoot, you won’t have the luxury of RAW files that allow several stops of exposure correction. In the sub £2000 drone category most codecs are 8 bit 4:2:0 too (occasionally 10bit 4:2:0) either way, around 75% of the chroma data is thrown away so colour manipulation (grading) is limited - too much pulling and your shots can start to look like Lego bricks.
You just need to be disciplined with your shots and avoid extreme contrast ratios.
Also, as you get more into video editing, a waveform monitor is far more useful than a histogram when creating your final video before export to stop your work looking too dark and muddy.

Resolve isnt limited to 1080 on the free version. It is quite complex but worth the effort, and not too difficult to get started with the basics. I am very much a beginner and not great with complex software.

If I can do it, anyone can!

Paul

I also recommend DaVinci Resolve as a free alternative. They do also have a paid version but the free version currently suits all my needs.

Recent posts moved from the iMovie for basic editing specific question thread.

I’m quite new to this but I’ve managed to edit my first video using iMovie. I’m using a 2014 MacBook Pro although it has a retina display I’m using a Dell 27in monitor. The MacBook only has a two core version of the i5 with 8GB RAM, I’ve managed to keep the whole thing in 4K but it’s a bit slow. Has anyone had experience of using the MacPro which came out in 2013 (the same desktop cylindrical form) I’ve attached a photo, you can get 12 core Xenon versions with loads of RAM for not much money. I’ve attached a photo if you’re not familiar.